Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reverse Ring - Suitable lens?

Hi,

I just got a reverse ring to play around with more than 1:1 magnification (I have an FA 100mm 2.8)
I figured maybe some of you might have good input on which lens is more suitable for reversing.
I played around with a Super Tak 35 3.5 reversed directly on my K-x and found the results astounding...but the depth of field is incredibly small. I don't think I can do this hand-held.

Luckily, I have a Pentax Auto-bellows. That's what I'll use with a tripod.

Of course, I could experiment with lens after lens and find one more suitable than the others. But I'm afraid my lack of experience might make me not realize that one lens is great (no good shots after a lot of experimenting) and another is crappy (but I got lucky).

Here's what I have; some of you might have reversed some of these, others might suggest a better focal length...anything you can suggest I'll be glad to learn!

SuperTak 35 3.5
SuperTak 50 1.4
SuperTak 135 2.5
SuperTak 55 f1.8
Pentax M 50 2
Pentax M 50 1.7
Rikenon XR 50 2
Helios 44-2 58 2
Pentax FA 50 1.4
Pentax FA 100 2.8
Pentax DAL 18-55 Kit Lens
Sigma APO 70-300
Sigma Miniwide II 28 2.8
Hanimex 28 2.8

I'll appreciate any help, comment, or ideas I can get!

Thanks,

Flickeroo

06-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

All good quality primes are suitable for reversing. 28mm or wider lenses will generally show some vignetting. Some more than others.
06-19-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

From what I understand ... the wider the lens that is reversed ... the more magnification can be achieved. Some goes for extension tubes as well.

I have just got myself a reversing ring ... and will be testing it out with my Takumars. Good thing most of them use the same filter thread sizing.

I'll be reversing my 28mm f/3.5 on different ones ... just to see what I can get out of it.

So far I ahve had good results with my 28mm on my M42 extension tubes ... the issue I had was working distance/DOF/lack of light.

The bellows on a tripod will be needed for sure to get GOOD results. I don't have anything like it .... but I actually set my camera up and chicked it solidly ... and moved the subject to get the correct focus ... and had to use Mirror Lock Up and remote just so i didn't get movement.
06-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Bellows

Have you tried stacking two lenses, say the 35 or 50 on the 135?

Have you tried reversing one of your lenses on the bellows? The 50 f2 may be a good one to try. I own the pentax autobellows m42 mount and there is a reversing ring built into the bellows - no need for an adapter.

The bellows also has a focusing rail which greatly assists with focus (in my opinion).

I have written about the autobellows and using inexpensive enlarging lenses and off camera flashes at this link.

Inexpensive Macro Photography

This is an example of a 135 enlarging lens (non reversed).

06-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
I haven't had the time to experiment yet with the Bellows other than transferring old family slides to digital with the slide copier. But now that I have the reverse ring, I'll be on the lookout for step-up and step-down rings to play with different lenses.