Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

Hoya HD Protector Filter 58mm

Hello

I hope someone can help me.
I want to buy this filter for my 31mm ltd.
My question is: Can I mount a screw in lens hood (I have the Heliopan short Metal Hood) on this filter? I've heard it has a slim profile...

Thanks in advance

Dani

06-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's the regular Pro1 type filter you should be able to screw your hood into it. I have to ask though why you would want to put some cr@ppy piece of glass in front of your 31mm Limted? I get the whole protection thing but are you really using the lens in situations where the lens is likely to get damaged? (asking more for curiosity sake).

06-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Jeff, I assure you that the Hoya Pro1 protection filters will not affect IQ in the least. The only possible issue would be flare in certain situations. The newest crop of clear protection filters have rendered that old argument obsolete. The Marumi Super DHG also falls into this category. I even have a Hoya Pro1 on my Zeiss 100 (gasp!...the horror!). Plus, with a protection filter on, you never have to clean the front element of the lens and risk damaging the coatings (not that that's common, but it happens). I put a filter on my lenses literally the moment I take them out of the box for the first time. Most new lenses arrive in pristine condition so after verifying that it is pristine I "capture" it, and as a result my lenses never have their front elements touched (at least not by my grubby paws).

Last edited by DogLover; 06-18-2010 at 04:37 PM.
06-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
It's not the Pro1, it's the HD

I'm going to use it just in some situations (water, sand, salt, dust, crowded environments) - not all the time - I'm not a fan of filters either.

06-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Jeff, I assure you that the Hoya Pro1 protection filters will not affect IQ in the least. The only possible issue would be flare in certain situations. The newest crop of clear protection filters have rendered that old argument obsolete. The Marumi Super DHG also falls into this category. I even have a Hoya Pro1 on my Zeiss 100 (gasp!...the horror!).
I had bought protection filters (Hoya Pro1 Digital) a few years ago for some of my lenses that took 52mm filters (couldn't even tell you which ones now). The lenses are gone but I still have the filters (been meaning to list them). What *I* found was that in "some" situations the photos did display a lot of flare and it was spread across the exposure. The easiest solution was of course to remove the filter and put it back in the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by DaniRo Quote
It's not the Pro1, it's the HD

I'm going to use it just in some situations (water, sand, salt, dust, crowded environments) - not all the time - I'm not a fan of filters either.
Sounds reasonable but I cannot help you because I have no experience with the HD filters.

Use them if you like, I choose not to. I was just asking why you'd want to. That's all.

06-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Jeff, I assure you that the Hoya Pro1 protection filters will not affect IQ in the least. The only possible issue would be flare in certain situations. The newest crop of clear protection filters have rendered that old argument obsolete. The Marumi Super DHG also falls into this category. I even have a Hoya Pro1 on my Zeiss 100 (gasp!...the horror!). Plus, with a protection filter on, you never have to clean the front element of the lens and risk damaging the coatings (not that that's common, but it happens). I put a filter on my lenses literally the moment I take them out of the box for the first time. Most new lenses arrive in pristine condition so after verifying that it is pristine I "capture" it, and as a result my lenses never have their front elements touched (at least not by my grubby paws).
It's comforting to hear that you like Marumi super DHG filters.
I got one for my 43mm ltd and I will do a lot of shooting in hars conditions, so I really would like to keep it on the lens.