Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Newbie Qustion-what difference a "P"

Does it mean the obvious? Is one of these lenses built with of metal and the other plastic?

What's the difference?
SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens
and
SMC - DA 18-55MM F3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens
and if BH lists it this way: "DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR " which one is that?

While I'm at it, what's WR?

06-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WR stands for Weather Resistant. AL is the older version, of those lenses. I have the AL ll which is newer than the AL, and was told the sharper of the two. I assume the WR is sharper still.
06-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
WR stands for Weather Resistant. AL is the older version, of those lenses. I have the AL ll which is newer than the AL, and was told the sharper of the two. I assume the WR is sharper still.
The AL II and WR versions should be the same optically. The original AL version had 12 optical elements arranged into 9 groups and the II, WR and DAL have 11 elements arranged in 8 groups.

QuoteOriginally posted by nelsh Quote
Does it mean the obvious? Is one of these lenses built with of metal and the other plastic?

What's the difference?
SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens
and
SMC - DA 18-55MM F3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens
and if BH lists it this way: "DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR " which one is that?

While I'm at it, what's WR?
P stands for Pentax.

Only the D AL version of this lens has a plastic mount and also lacks quick shift.

Edit: There is a "sticky" on a thread discussing these very things.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/89036-differences-between-various-18-55mms.html
06-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As mentioned, P standads for Pentax. it is probably part of the official names of all lenses Pentax makes, but hardly anyone lists that in the description becaue we all know these are Pentax lenses. So don't ever get hung up on one lens listing the P and another not. Most DA lenses (except Limiteds) are at least partially plastic, but all have metal mounts except the ones listed as "DA L". And don't confuse that with "AL", which is also something that applies to a lot of lenses and doesn't really differentiate one from another.

The real difference between the lenses you are talking about is WR, and as others have answered, that's weather resistance.