Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

General rule for step-up step-down rings?

I have a question regarding the usage, or more accurately, the limitation of step up/down rings. Is there a practical limit that should be applied when using these rings? For example, in my specific case, I have some Pentax lenses, which have 49mm filter threads. I also have a Sigma lens with a 77mm filter thread.

Is there such a thing as a 49mm to 77mm step up ring? Would I want to avoid doing something like that and simply get a separate filter for each (49mm and 77mm)?

Thank you!

06-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, there is such a thing as a 49mm to 77mm step up ring. Check with seller Heavystar on Ebay for such an item. There are also 49-52-55-58-62-68-72-77 step up ring sets available for a few dollars more. They do look a bit comical though.

I would get a separate 49mm filter since having a 77mm filter on a 49mm lens just looks ridiculous. It's also quite inconvenient. 49mm filters are cheap anyway.

However, I have purchased step down rings since I have a few high quality filters and polarizers that are quite expensive. I can't afford to purchase identical sets for 58mm, 55mm and 52mm so I purchased step down rings instead.
06-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hangu is right although i wouldn't worry much about the look of a 77mm to a 49mm filter and ring. A good ND or CPL is expensive and you're not going to use it all them all the time. Spend the money on the best filter that fits everything vs several cheaper filters.