Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA35mm Ltd Macro vs FA43 mm f1.9 - Advice needed

I am considering to get a new prime lens around 40mm to complement my Nokton 58mm f1.4 (and my zoom 18-250mm) on a K-7. I have already read many threads in the forum, looked at the lens database at www.Pentaxforums.com, and read independent reviews at www.photozone.de and www.dslrgear.com.

Although there are a range of nice lenses including the DA40mm pancake and Voigtlander 40mm f2, I tend to hesitate between:
- the DA 35mm f2.8 Ltd Macro, and
- the FA 43mm f1.9 Ltd.

I shoot mostly (~60%) outdoor from sunrise to sunset, incl. some actions like rivers and waves. I like to a large aperture lens, to alow shooting at sunrise and sunset if needed. The rest of my shooting is a combination of indoor shots.

I wonder if the DA35mm Macro capabilities is worth to loose in aperture (and speed). I know nothing of macro, but I saw some amazing shots taken with macro. I am keen to learn and I wonder if the DA35mm Ltd Macro is the right lens to start.

In the negative, the FA43mm would possibly have my preference for its faster speed (linked with larger aperture).

I am aware of price difference (but not that much at www.adorama.com: $578 vs $548 today), but I view the purchase as a form of investment.

Thank you in advance for the input.

Last edited by hcc; 06-19-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: typos
06-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I feel 35 or 43 are a little too close to 58mm in practice. If I were to choose, I would probably go for the 21 or even 15.
06-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
MCR
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I feel 35 or 43 are a little too close to 58mm in practice. If I were to choose, I would probably go for the 21 or even 15.
I think so you're right. I have DA35Ltd and FA43Ltd, but for landscape I use DA*16-50... DA21 or DA15 will be better solution.
But what about all-time lens ? I love FA43 (much better the DA35). Why ? FA43 is amazing lens - great bokeh, nice color rendition and 3D-feel image.
DA35Ltd is very good for wide-macro (like grassland). DA35 is amazing when object is closer then 1.5 meters. If not, bokeh is nervous (f/2.8 in my opinion)....
06-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the 35mm Macro, but I'm not overly excited about it. The focal length is bread nor butter to me, and it's not a practical lens when photographing non-macro subjects. It does render beautifully though, and it's incredibly sharp.

Also, I agree a wider lens would complement the 58mm a lot better, that depends entirely on the photographer.

06-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

I swapped DA 35 for FA 43 and couldn't be happier. DA 35 is a fine lens but I didn't like slow focus and dfficult manual focus nearer infinity. FA 43 suits me better for portrait and landscape shots, for macro works well with extension tubes. Again, it may be too close to 58mm, but only you can decide.

Marcin
06-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
Kai

I was in a similar spot as you and recently just acquired 43 LTD silver.
Here are my reasons:
FF compatibility (not that I'll be getting a body anytime soon but bigger market for resale, investment wise),
a bit faster for low light (but there is a limit),
liking the bokeh so far,
& focus is pretty fast.
Being an amature, I am praticing to be better at capturing to see this 3-D effect.

Something that I don't like so far: loud auto focus!

As others have said only you can decide. Then again, if you really don't like what you get, there is a Market Place for you to trade as I did.

Kai
06-19-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am watching this thread as I am interested to get the DA35.

When u guys say the focus is slow, how "sloooow" are u talking about? I am thinking of using it as my main lens, replacing my Tamron 28-75 which happens to be mounted on my K-7 almost all the time.

06-19-2010, 05:14 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
When u guys say the focus is slow, how "sloooow" are u talking about?
Speaking from my own experience, this lens can AF extremely fast at distances between 2 feet and infinity, as long as the camera body's AF system doesn't miss. This arises due to the fact that the focus ring only rotates about 10-15 degrees to shift focus from infinity to 2 feet (check-out photos of the DA35 focus scale to confirm this for yourself). To get from 2 feet down to the minimum focus distance, the focus ring travels another 140-150 degrees. So, if the AF system misses, it will rack through the entire focus range, which is about 1.5-2 seconds and noisy. I think far too many people see the word "macro" on this lens' label and instantly assume "slow AF" without actually testing it for themselves. For reference, my FA77's focus ring rotates approximately the same distance (say 165 degrees total) to get from infinity down to 0.7m (2.3 feet) and I would say is much slower to AF.

The trade-off with this design is that MF on the DA35 for subjects between 2 feet to infinity is exceptionally difficult because rotating the focus ring a small amount changes focus so much. However, MF at macro distances is quite easy/forgiving.
06-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Considering you have a superzoom do you plan to complement it and carry both, or have a separate prime kit? Have you looked at your photos to see where you shoot most often.
From what you are describing you would be better off with the 43ltd, however it is quite close to your 58/1.4. If you could afford the 31ltd (and ok with its size) it would match up with the 58 better
As for macro you are much better off with something longer once you start chasing bugs around.
Mind you the 35ltd is still a very nice lens, and does give you a great close focus ability.
06-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Not considering the DA 40?

Its the cheapest of the bunch, it focus the fastest, it is arguably one of the sharpest lenses out for Pentax.

Most underrated DA lens in my opinion.
06-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Not considering the DA 40?

Its the cheapest of the bunch, it focus the fastest, it is arguably one of the sharpest lenses out for Pentax.

Most underrated DA lens in my opinion.
Actually, it has the highest rating of all DA lenses in the lens database
06-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #12

I have both the DA35 and FA43 and I think both are mighty fine lenses that are suited for different purposes. As a general walk around prime, I love the DA35 due to it's sharpness, ability to close focus, and quickshift feature. I've been in situations where the ambient light was too low for the camera to focus properly so I just quickly manually focused and took the shot (I had AF280T flash on with no AF assist beam).

The FA43 does have really nice bokeh and it produces lovely images but personally I find the focal length either not long enough or wide enough! And it seems to produce more chromatic aberrations than the DA35, I'm guessing because it wasn't designed for digital. But it's one of my more recent lens acquisitions so perhaps I just need to learn how to use it better.
06-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. These are very valuable, and I genuinely appreciate the advice.

It seems that a majority would favor the FA43mm over the DA35mm, although the DA40mm should not be disregarded.
06-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a quick comment on the DA 35's auto focus speed. I used to think it really slow, but at the time I wasn't using the quick shift. Since then, when I am not shooting macro type shots, I automatically turn the lens to infinity. From there, it focuses quite quickly, since most of its focus throw is in the close focus range and not normal shooting distances. For what you shoot, I think the DA 35 would work quite nicely.
06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have neither the DA35 or the FA43, but I do have a Sigma 30 1.4, a DA40 and an FA50 1.4 and there's no way I could part with any of them. The only other lens I'd be interested in this range is the FA31; then I might consider letting the Sigma go.