Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Third party lenses that don't focus in the wrong direction?

I'm looking out for a fast lens in the 70 to 100mm area and my other lenses are mainly Pentax-M, ideally with close focus/macro capabilities. The 85mm M seems to cost too much, and I've been mulling over the Tamron SP 90mm f2.5, but am put off by the different direction on the focus ring. Please can people recommend lenses which focus in the same direction as Pentax, with infinity at the left?!?

Looking at the 3rd party lens reviews, the Tokina ATX 90mm lens focusses in the same direction as Pentax, but its as rare as hen's teeth and will probably cost more than a M 85mm with a M series macro.

06-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure you'll find any lens in that focal length range cheaper than the M85/2 at about $250, and tht lens should work well with a Raynox or other good quality close up lens if you're looking for occasional macro use. The Samyang-made 85/1.4 sold under a zillion different names on Ebay would be the only competitor. No idea which direction it focuses.
06-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I just picked up a 50mm M macro f4 at the weekend on ebay, and think I am going to get the M 100mm f2.8 and sell my M 135mm. I understand why the 85mm lenses command so much, as the M 85mm f2 is a full stop faster than the 100mm, and is going to be better for portraits indoors. I'm staying on brand as I really like the build of the old M series.

Interestingly, the Pentax literature says about the M 85: "Creates a soft focus effect in the areas just beyond the depth of field." Don't all lenses do that?! Seems like the 85mm was deliberately designed for portraits. In the Quality in Photography book by Hicks and Schultz, it says that lenses are optimised for a particular object distance. Is this really the case or a popular myth? I seem to remember reading the contrary on Leica's website recently.

EDIT; just picked up the M 50mm macro...now all I need is the M 85mm

Last edited by whojammyflip; 06-23-2010 at 06:16 AM.