Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And what (apart from the plastic build) is abhorrent about the DA lenses?
All standard FAs were plastic builds as well, and the DA ltds are metal builds.

There isn't anything FA lenses can do that the DA series cannot - Pentax just has to get with getting a few more DA*s in the lineup. IQ-wise, the DAs do really well. Sure, there won't be much to compare with the FA ltds, but because they're still around for a while, we can't complain that there aren't premium primes for our cams.

06-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Because Canon shed that ring with the FD mount when they figured out that autofocus thingie.
Canon also screwed over there existing loyal base of the time that had FD L glass. Its a good thing they recruited a lot of new users because a lot of the Loyal ones went elsewhere. I don't think Pentax has the luxury of pissing of 90% of its historical base.
06-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
And on my LX, these DA lenses are very useless.
but since they are not intended to be full frame any way, who cares. Additionally if you want to use them on a film body, any lens with a minimum of a focusing collar can work on the A series bodies or later. Why not suppliment your film bodies with a PZ-1 and be done with it.
QuoteOriginally posted by dedmozaj Quote
And one more thing, adding aperture ring to all lenses just for the sake of LX users is enough of a practical reason for me. The brand name still stands on this camera.
The issue is not having lenses that work on every body, otherwise pentax would still be making M42 mounts. The point is to have new bodies that support old lenses, not the other way around

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Canon also screwed over there existing loyal base of the time that had FD L glass. Its a good thing they recruited a lot of new users because a lot of the Loyal ones went elsewhere. I don't think Pentax has the luxury of pissing of 90% of its historical base.
How true, but this applies as I noted above to allowing users of old glass to use new bodies, and pentax is second to none. The reason they have continued to make some FA lenses or revamped them is due to demand, If and when demand falls off, they will stop making them, I think that is pretty clear.

When I look at my lenses, even the ASP-C lenses will work fully on my PZ-1, that is going back to a body that is almost 20 years old. I think that is good enough.
06-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #19

Original Poster
Diaphragm ring is a must if you're shooting film with the camera. And eventually Pentax will release a ff body with full HD, there is not a doubt in my mind. FA Limiteds are fine, but there's only three. They need to add a few more focal lengths to make the lineup usable for shooting. Otherwise, the video in cameras is not worth bothering for.

07-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Canon users would tell you different. How many Canon lenses have aperture rings again? I guess their video isn't worth bothering for. No way you could do anything mainstream with it like shoot an episode of a prime time TV show.

I'm totally lost on how it's a must if you're shooting film. What, does the film recognize the abscence of an aperture ring and not expose properly?