Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #1

Are the FA series dead?

Are the FA series dead? Will Pentax ever release lenses with aperture rings again?

DALENSESMAKEMESICK

06-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dedmozaj Quote
DALENSESMAKEMESICK
Then, I hope for you, that you have a health insurance.
06-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the short answer is yes, FA is dead except the LIMITED because there are sufficient demand. Like the old Minolta, Pentax cameras & lenses were moving from one series to another (K-M-A-F-FA-DA). Canon & Nikon have no such distinction. There is little chance aperture ring would be made again, no practical reason to anyway.
06-19-2010, 03:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
There is little chance aperture ring would be made again, no practical reason to anyway.
In the very limited pentax camera system we have now, without any macro (bellows etc) stuff, you can do without, but I won't buy DA lenses, if I can have a similar lens with aperture ring.

Aperture is a parameter of the lens, just like focus and focal length.
The most logical place to control these is on the lens.
And on my LX, these DA lenses are very useless.

06-19-2010, 03:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
The limiteds are too few. I hope I will never get to keep a DA lens for longer than 5 days . What if someone gives one to me and I won't be able to sell it?
Also, I sure hope Pentax will cut that plastic business out in the next few years. Otherwise I would advise this forum to offers a better selection of sickened expressions, I feel very limited by that green face.

And one more thing, adding aperture ring to all lenses just for the sake of LX users is enough of a practical reason for me. The brand name still stands on this camera.

Last edited by dedmozaj; 06-19-2010 at 03:37 AM.
06-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
There is little chance aperture ring would be made again, no practical reason to anyway.
Yes. They also need to remove that focusing ring and the zoom ring as well. Those point and shoot cameras are far ahead in their innovative practical thinking.
06-19-2010, 03:38 AM   #7

Original Poster

06-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Then, I hope for you, that you have a health insurance.
I have health insurance.
06-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure what exactly is your case here my friend.
I don't like plastic lenses neither so I give you that but AFAIK Pentax are trying to move forward so I don't see point of making lenses compatible with old age camera, however good it was/is. Besides there is countless numbers of pre DA lenses which you can choose from... we should be happy we can use old lenses on new bodies
06-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

All the digital mounts are crippled, and I'm sure Pentax won't go back on this decision unless they release a really expensive FF body.

FA lenses will live forever, but I'm sure their production days are limited. It seems that accessories for these lenses are still available new, however.
06-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by dedmozaj Quote
And one more thing, adding aperture ring to all lenses just for the sake of LX users is enough of a practical reason for me.
I doubt that Hoya as any interest in keeping LX users happy since LX is an old discontinued model.

All recent cameras are able to control aperture so there's no need for an aperture ring to had to the cost of prodution.

Regards,

Luis
06-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Currently the FA ltds are in production and the FA 50mm f1.4. It appears that the future trend will be more like a D FA style for full frame requiring the aperture to be set from the body as well as FF use should one be released.

However, who knows how long the ltd lenses will stay in production. It could be 1 year or 10. Its also possible with a few special assembly lines that Pentax could do special runs like they did with the A 50mm f1.2.
06-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #13

My canon EF lenses from 12 years ago didn't have aperture rings.

On the other hand, the body had that lovely canon command dial.

(yea yea, should have sprung for the K7 instead of the KX)
06-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
My canon EF lenses from 12 years ago didn't have aperture rings.
Because Canon shed that ring with the FD mount when they figured out that autofocus thingie.
06-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not much choice

The FA series is mostly dead because it costs more money to make a lens with a diaphragm ring. Most consumer don't even know what f-stop means. They only know price for features. Pentax makes plastic barrel lenses like everyone else to keep costs competitive. A few years ago Nikon lost significant market share because they insisted on making camera bodies that were made out of metal. Canon made cameras with more features for the money and sold more cameras. If anything, Pentax has been the last to cheapen its products.