Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #1

How do I use a 135mm macro lens (manual lens)?

I have a 135mm 2.8 macro manual sears lens. How do I use this? I know it sounds silly but it seems very hard to get into focus. Is it for focusing way off or close up? I'm not sure how to read the lens information either When it says five feet on the lens, as dumb as this sounds, does that mean you must be five feet away from the subject? Then I just adjust my aperture depth of field to what I want?

06-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I have a 135mm 2.8 macro manual sears lens. How do I use this? I know it sounds silly but it seems very hard to get into focus. Is it for focusing way off or close up? I'm not sure how to read the lens information either When it says five feet on the lens, as dumb as this sounds, does that mean you must be five feet away from the subject? Then I just adjust my aperture depth of field to what I want?
That's exactly what it means. Macro focusing is done by moving the camera. If you want to shoot from a tripod, invest in some macro focusing rails.
06-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
oh, the 135/2.8 Sears macro is no macro lens. the so-called macro function is more like a soft focus filter. That is also the reason you might find focusing difficult. Just use it for fun on some contrasty subjects. But it is really no macro.
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
oh, the 135/2.8 Sears macro is no macro lens. the so-called macro function is more like a soft focus filter. That is also the reason you might find focusing difficult. Just use it for fun on some contrasty subjects. But it is really no macro.
Seems to take better portraits than anything. I used it and the bokeh looked nice for a $3 lens.

06-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
Some people certainly used it for a soft focus effect. However, it is technically a close focus lens with settings of 1:7, 1:6, and 1:5.

These are with the PK/R version of the Sears 135mm f2.8 macro lens (Model 202) and compared to the Sigma 105mm EX DG macro.

Same Spider with Sigma 105mm EX DG

06-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
the sears one looks pretty good to me. thanks.
06-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's exactly what it means. Macro focusing is done by moving the camera. If you want to shoot from a tripod, invest in some macro focusing rails.
But that doesn't appear to be what's happening. I could only get things six feet in front of me in focus but the ring was set to 100ft and infinity. Nothing but close up seems to ever get into focus. close up as in under ten feet.