Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
How do I use a 135mm macro lens (manual lens)?

I have a 135mm 2.8 macro manual sears lens. How do I use this? I know it sounds silly but it seems very hard to get into focus. Is it for focusing way off or close up? I'm not sure how to read the lens information either When it says five feet on the lens, as dumb as this sounds, does that mean you must be five feet away from the subject? Then I just adjust my aperture depth of field to what I want?

06-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,834
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I have a 135mm 2.8 macro manual sears lens. How do I use this? I know it sounds silly but it seems very hard to get into focus. Is it for focusing way off or close up? I'm not sure how to read the lens information either When it says five feet on the lens, as dumb as this sounds, does that mean you must be five feet away from the subject? Then I just adjust my aperture depth of field to what I want?
That's exactly what it means. Macro focusing is done by moving the camera. If you want to shoot from a tripod, invest in some macro focusing rails.
06-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 121
oh, the 135/2.8 Sears macro is no macro lens. the so-called macro function is more like a soft focus filter. That is also the reason you might find focusing difficult. Just use it for fun on some contrasty subjects. But it is really no macro.
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
oh, the 135/2.8 Sears macro is no macro lens. the so-called macro function is more like a soft focus filter. That is also the reason you might find focusing difficult. Just use it for fun on some contrasty subjects. But it is really no macro.
Seems to take better portraits than anything. I used it and the bokeh looked nice for a $3 lens.

06-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
oh, the 135/2.8 Sears macro is no macro lens. the so-called macro function is more like a soft focus filter. That is also the reason you might find focusing difficult. Just use it for fun on some contrasty subjects. But it is really no macro.
Some people certainly used it for a soft focus effect. However, it is technically a close focus lens with settings of 1:7, 1:6, and 1:5.

These are with the PK/R version of the Sears 135mm f2.8 macro lens (Model 202) and compared to the Sigma 105mm EX DG macro.







Same Spider with Sigma 105mm EX DG



06-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Original Poster
the sears one looks pretty good to me. thanks.
06-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's exactly what it means. Macro focusing is done by moving the camera. If you want to shoot from a tripod, invest in some macro focusing rails.
But that doesn't appear to be what's happening. I could only get things six feet in front of me in focus but the ring was set to 100ft and infinity. Nothing but close up seems to ever get into focus. close up as in under ten feet.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
135mm, feet, five, k-mount, lens, macro, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test results: resurrected Zykkor 135mm Manual Lens ismaelg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 09-27-2009 07:36 PM
135mm Takumar manual lens ChrisC Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 07-06-2008 01:44 AM
Manual Lens - Macro Suggestions? bluespearbone Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 11-17-2007 02:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top