Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

M42 Lens Finish Lacquer/ Anhydrous Methyl Alcohol

Will Anhydrous Methyl Alcohol damage the black lacquer finish or the front element on the M42 screw mount lenses: 28mm 3.5 Super Takumar, 35mm 3.5 super Tak, and 135mm 3.5 Super Tak? I have some of this and was wondering if it was safe to use.

06-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It might. Quite honestly, the best cleaner you can get for lens bodies is tap water. Most of what you'll get on your lens will come off with it. A damp microfiber cloth is an amazing lens cleaner.
You want it well wrung out though.
For glass, a microfiber cloth and breath seems to work well.
06-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Awesome! I have tap water, microfiber cloth, and breath handy. Thanks
06-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To get horrible crap off a lens I use wet wipes, just let them dry out a bit so the soapy stuff doesn't run inside the lens.

I've cleaned lenses that were sticky and disgusting to great effect with them.

06-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have used methanol to clean fungus off the elements of a Super Takumar lens. It didn't do anything to the coating. Same can be said about the paint. The lens is fugus free and takes great photos.

Why did I decide to use methanol? Well, it is because I read on a bottle of Eclipse fluid that it "contains methanol"!
06-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone!
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used isopropol alcohol to clean a filthy lens body with good success. I have also used glass cleaner (Windex). Be aware that use of any cleaning solvent (including soapy water) has the potential to "lift" painted lenses markings off of the barrel. Embossed numbers are easily repaired using a lacquer pen or paint crayon, but non-embossed numbers are gone forever...

Steve
06-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have used isopropol alcohol to clean a filthy lens body with good success. I have also used glass cleaner (Windex). Be aware that use of any cleaning solvent (including soapy water) has the potential to "lift" painted lenses markings off of the barrel. Embossed numbers are easily repaired using a lacquer pen or paint crayon, but non-embossed numbers are gone forever...

Steve
Just be sure that if you use Windex, that it doesn't have ammonia in it.

06-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Just be sure that if you use Windex, that it doesn't have ammonia in it.
Yes, Windex does have ammonia in it. So do many other cleaners. I used it as a last resort on a lens body that had so much tobacco film that it was gummy feeling.

Steve