Veteran Member

31 on APS-C is around 50mm
31 43 77 are all good for portrait

06-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I have them all.... so far I like the 77ltd most, I bought it used from a forum member, sad to find out it has a small dust inside (of course, not shown in image at all).

The 43 rendering is a bit different than other lens... hard to explain but it has a different feel.
Indeed the FA43 is the most distinctive of all Pentax lenses, in my limited primary (no pun) and almost infinite secondary experience. However, if I could have only one lens it would be the FA77.
06-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am a bit odd in my gear purchase. I generally bought too many and too soon and made a lot of mistakes. So you see my background and please read my inputs with a grain (or a jar) of salt.

I have both 31 and 77 at one point with my K10D. I sold the 31mm after a month. I found it too expensive to own and I didn't feel comfortable in the ownership. It is like buying an overpriced expensive car and I can only admire in the garage. I know I exaggerate but that was how I felt when I sold the lens. It was one of the best lens from Pentax but in the end, I chose the other limited and gave up for the 31 -- my LadyQueen which needs to go in a diet as I prefer something either wider in view, leaner in size or something that serves closer as a normal lens in the cropped view.

Do I miss the lens? Yes, maybe a bit. Had I kept it longer till now, I would have made a small fortune as the used lens was about $690 at the time. In hindsight to many, it was a stupid decision. To me, it was the right thing to do.

The 77mm is a different story as I bought it for portrait purpose. It is one of the insanely good Pentax lens for ownership. If you don't care about FF, the DA 70mm f/2.4 limited can be just as good only half a stop slower.

I replaced the 31mm, my LadyQueen, with Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8. It is a different lens for different purpose. And it is my best documentary lens. It is not as fast but its use is much more in my bag as I use it in traveling as a normal lens, flowers close up, many product shots in my blog page that the 31mm will not cover but left in the garage idle for appreciation.

Last edited by hinman; 06-27-2010 at 07:27 PM.
06-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I sold the 31mm after a month. I found it too expensive to own and I didn't feel comfortable in the ownership. It is like buying an overpriced expensive car and I can only admire in the garage. I know I exaggerate but that was how I felt when I sold the lens. It was one of the best lens from Pentax but in the end, I chose the other limited and gave up for the 31 -- my LadyQueen which needs to go in a diet as I prefer something either wider in view, leaner in size or something that serves closer as a normal lens in the cropped view.
Emphasis added since I agree completely. Though I have never tried the FA31, and would no doubt love to, it would not be my first, second or even third choice to take when going out to shoot. I need something at 77mm, something at 24-28mm and a macro. After that would come wide angle.

My anti-LBA regime is that if a lens isn't in the top three it had better be cheap to justify its presence on my shelf.