Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As long as you have budget, there isn't any good reason not to get them. I only have 31 but I only can recommend it!

06-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #17
emr

I own neither and they're obviously fantastic lenses. However, they're not weather sealed or resistant like your camera body is. Probably not significant for most users, but I don't know how and where you usually shoot.
06-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Every once in a while surfaces a rumour that they'll be discontinued. While I never believed such nonsense all I can say is if you really want them, get them. If they ever go out of production I wager used ones will sell for more than new ones cost now. I certainly won't be putting mine on the market.
06-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The weather resistant comments have me contemplating other options.

Perhaps the DA* 16-50 instead of the 31 ltd or the DFA 100 macro WR instead of the 77 ltd. I will still have a fast prime and a useable lens for the "just in case it rains" scenario.

Although I do have a SMC Takumar 50mm f4 macro, the DFA 100 WR is on my short list.

When I first decided to go with a fast prime, the reviews of the 31 ltd persuaded me that the IQ would be worth the cost for a normal prime but it was not available in the retail market. Although the 77 ltd seems a little long for a standard walk around lens, the reviews and sample pics were impeccable. Now that B&H has the 31 ltd available, I want both.

I guess I should ponder the idea on one weather resistant lens in addition to a fast prime since I do not want to dish out the money for 3 lenses. When I die homeless and broke, the only things my family will appreciate about these lenses are the great images they have produced and the resale value on the used market.

Thanks again for the input
Tom

06-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #20
Nubi

I wouldn't get DA*16-50. Nice lens, but I wouldn't. I will never buy another SDM lens again.

DFA 100 macro I have, and used to own 77. Hm . . . . Bit of a different lens. But this is more compelling than 16-50 for 31. D FA 100 is surprisingly good as tele. But I can assure you that it will not beat 77.

Who knows, there may be FA lts WR. Oops. This is not a rumor section!

QuoteOriginally posted by Waldo Humblebee Quote

Perhaps the DA* 16-50 instead of the 31 ltd or the DFA 100 macro WR instead of the 77 ltd. I will still have a fast prime and a useable lens for the "just in case it rains" scenario.

Although I do have a SMC Takumar 50mm f4 macro, the DFA 100 WR is on my short list.

When I first decided to go with a fast prime, the reviews of the 31 ltd persuaded me that the IQ would be worth the cost for a normal prime but it was not available in the retail market. Although the 77 ltd seems a little long for a standard walk around lens, the reviews and sample pics were impeccable. Now that B&H has the 31 ltd available, I want both.

I guess I should ponder the idea on one weather resistant lens in addition to a fast prime since I do not want to dish out the money for 3 lenses. When I die homeless and broke, the only things my family will appreciate about these lenses are the great images they have produced and the resale value on the used market.

Tom
06-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I wouldn't get DA*16-50. Nice lens, but I wouldn't. I will never buy another SDM lens again.

DFA 100 macro I have, and used to own 77. Hm . . . . Bit of a different lens. But this is more compelling than 16-50 for 31. D FA 100 is surprisingly good as tele. But I can assure you that it will not beat 77.

Who knows, there may be FA lts WR. Oops. This is not a rumor section!
Haha, Do you know something about WR limiteds? I got your msg and will be responding soon! Thank you for the quick reply! I will hold off on buying them if they are in the works :-D
06-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have them all.... so far I like the 77ltd most, I bought it used from a forum member, sad to find out it has a small dust inside (of course, not shown in image at all).

The 43 rendering is a bit different than other lens... hard to explain but it has a different feel. I have not taken enough pictures to justify the differences.

Ya, I think the problem is you will eventually want to own them all...
My acquired sequence is 77, 43, 31.

Lee

06-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #23
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Haha, Do you know something about WR limiteds? I got your msg and will be responding soon! Thank you for the quick reply! I will hold off on buying them if they are in the works :-D
Just a whisper here and there. I have no inside info, so that you know. I have some inside info on Canon stuff but who give a lick about that???
06-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Just a whisper here and there. I have no inside info, so that you know. I have some inside info on Canon stuff but who give a lick about that???
I do give a lick about Canon especially if it involves a certain FF sensor from them going to say a smaller competitor who's name starts with a "P"... sorry for the thread jacking.

Back on topic... I love my FA 77 ltd lens. I also bought it from a forum member here. Great lens! a few specs of dust, but that can't be helped, My K100D Super's sensor is nowhere near sensitive enough to out resolve the lens :-P.

Buying one FA or DA limited is really contagious. I'm going to get the FA 31 and the FA 43 soon :-)
06-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only contest I see on the 31 is the Sigma 30mm. It's not as sharp, but it is a half stop faster and a whole lot cheaper. I'm currently torn on these two.

As far as the 77, the other clear choice is the fa* 85/1.4 or maybe the upcoming sigma 85/1.4. On this I decided on the fa*. It's a shame the lens isn't in production now. It's simply stunning.
06-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Tom
Seriously, if you spend your life worrying about 'just in case' you'll never live. Even drenching rains rarely show up without Some warning. If it looks like a possibility, have something with you to protect the gear, like a WR camera bag.

As for the should I get question, go for it. I don't know if I'd go New though. Before you pull that trigger spend a Little time seeking a used option. People who own these lenses typically care better for them than they care for themselves.

Oh, and by the way, I agree, once you have Those, you'll be saving your pennies for the 43 as well. The 3 Amigos are to be owned in a complete set .

06-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #27

I'm slowly accumulating almost all of these lenses, except for the 43mm LTD, 100mm Macro WR, and FA* 85mm, of course.

If you're budget conscious (and aren't so paranoid to think that Pentax will release a FF camera in the next month), the DA70 is a great sleeper lens. You should add it to your list.

I'm still kicking the tires on my FA77 LTD. It seems very competent for isolating your subject in a flattering and directed manner. In terms of street photography - I'd probably opt for the DA70 at this point, but also consider the the FA77 for street portraiture.

The FA31LTD is a very, very nice lens. Sharp and contrasty. It was glued to my K-7 the first 3 weeks I had it. You have to get a little *too* close for isolating your subjects, but I found it really handy for an all around lens, and for group shots indoor.

I need to do a head to head comparison with the 31LTD & my DA40 - which I love for a variety of reasons (compactness, color rendition, sharpness, focal length).

I also say don't let folks previously traumatized by SDM dissuade you from picking one up. If you attribute any value to the weather resistance chain of value, you're going to want to pick up a DA* lens, period. I still feel the DA* 50-135 is without peer, as one example. The DA* 16-50 is fine, but small quirks like the hood obstructing the camera mounted flash, and not having the same magic as the 50-135 keep me from gushing about it. It is my go-to lens when I need a wide angle and a zoom in the same trip.
06-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saved for a year and a half for my 12-24 and thought that my LBA was done. It was my best lens and I was VERY happy with it and it was glued to my camera for a year. I happened across a used 21 in mint condition for a very good price on a used camera website (pictured [that I never looked at] with serial number). After thinking about it for at least 6 to 8 weeks I finally ordered it - I figured a small prime for landscapes would be a very nice finishing final touch. But a 31 Ltd showed up (it was the lens pictured with the s/n) so that is what the store sent.

Now I would not have bought it out right for myself - as I did not think that my skill level was up to the lens. However, I do have to say, that the 31 has been VERY enjoyable to use. I stitch a lot with it. I really - really like it!! It feels wonderful - like the precision instrument that it is. I would almost say it has make me a better photographer - since I have been trying a lot of different things with it. I am an engineer, and the build is everything, everyone says it is and more. It produces wonderful images - I look at them and say - did I really take that, or was it the lens fixing my deficiencies....

When I travel on business, rather than take my 12-24 and 16-45 - I just take the K20 and 31Ltd. That's it. For a limited amount of space, that's all I feel I need. I can make anything work with it.

So, if you can afford it, and can splurge - yes, it is worth it.

My LBA is in remission. I am really done. I really have all that I need - and what I need to do is go take more pictures, putting these tools to what they were designed to do - capture wonderful images - and improving my skills.....
06-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. I have just recieved my 31 LTD and will order my 77 ltd soon. I look forward to getting some time with this lens to see what I can do with it.

Tom
06-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thank you all for your input. I have just recieved my 31 LTD and will order my 77 ltd soon. I look forward to getting some time with this lens to see what I can do with it.

Tom
I'm sure you will enjoy the lens very much. Like I said before, I love my FA 77 ltd. It's either on my camera or in the bag ready to be taken out. It never gets left at home. I hope to have the FA 31 ltd. soon as well. That is one dynamic duo, or trio including the 43 ltd. :-P