Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
31mm and 77mm Limited?

Good day, I am looking at acquiring a good auto focus fast prime and am looking for advice on my chain of thought.

Basically, is there any reason not to get the FA 31 Limited and the FA77 Limited as my first two primes? (except for expense) If I am going to get new lenses I want something I will hold on to for the next ten years. From what I have researched, this combo should give me enough flexibility for everyday use and outstanding IQ at larger apertures.

Also considering a wide angle zoon and D FA 100 macro at a later time.

I own a K20D and the DA 18-55mm, DA 50-200mm and a handful of M42 lenses.
I was considering a "nifty fifty" but want the IQ that the Limited lenses offer and have a 50mm 1.4 M42.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Tom

06-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No reason at all, they're as good as it gets. If I had the money I'd love to own either of those lenses.
06-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The only problem I see is that you will have to buy the 43ltd as well, just to get the full set!
06-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
With only one arm and one leg left, the 43 will have to wait.

06-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

That is definitely a good pair. The 43 and 77 would also be a good pair.
06-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Nubi

I do think that all FA ltds are fantastic lenses, but 31 for one has gotten so expensive recently that I thinkIQ/cost ratio is beginning to suffer. About 18 months ago I got myself a 31 ltd blk for about $800 new. At close to $1,300, one should look at alternatives, whatever that may be. I am not saying that you should not get one. You have got to make sure that you don't mind the pricing of it. That is all.
06-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

At present, Ador and BH both have the 31 for ~$950 which I think is still relatively high in comparison to the 43.
06-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I do think that all FA ltds are fantastic lenses, but 31 for one has gotten so expensive recently that I thinkIQ/cost ratio is beginning to suffer. About 18 months ago I got myself a 31 ltd blk for about $800 new. At close to $1,300, one should look at alternatives, whatever that may be. I am not saying that you should not get one. You have got to make sure that you don't mind the pricing of it. That is all.
No disagreement that the 31 is expensive (and depending on your needs it might not be worth the cost), but for what it's worth it's back in stock at BHphoto for $965 shipped.

EDIT: posted before Blue's post was up

06-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't beat the 31 and 77 - worth it if you can afford it. Period.
06-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Nubi

Under a grand, I think I can somehow live with that, I guess. You know, that psychological barrier is not quite compromised. But, then you look at pictures taken by old Takumars and what they cost . . . . .
06-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Forum Member

From a focal length perspective, you have two great lenses on the block. I personally own the DA35 as a complement to my FA77 and could happily shoot with this pair for the rest of my life without any major regrets (notwithstanding the DA15 controls my mind thread).

Both of those lenses are reputed to have outstanding optics. I'm certainly impressed with the optics of my FA77 - it has sharpness and contrast that just don't seem possible. However, I do find it difficult at times to bring those outstanding optics to bear on moving subjects due to the long focus throw - it racks 165 degrees to go from infinity to 2.3 feet (0.7m) and doesn't have quickshift. So, I would suggest that you consider whether this would be important to you, based on the nature of the subjects you photograph. I can't speak to the FA31, as I have never seen or used it.

Also, if you see yourself shooting in inclement weather, you may want to look at weathersealed lenses as an alternative before making a 10 year commitment.

For my part, I chose the DA35 over the FA31. Macro is nice, but I find I don't often go to 1:1 anyway, so the lack of working distance wasn't an issue for me. Also, the optical performance of the DA35 has never let me down (although the same can't be said for the AF on my K10D).

I hope this helps!
06-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I like the 31 a lot, though I find it to be on the big side. In some respects, I like the DA35/2.8 more.
If you can afford the 31, it's a great lens, and if one or the other is going to get hard to find, odds are, it will be the 31, so if you want one, buy it sooner rather than later.
The 77 is one of my favorite lenses, and is a superb optic.
I believe there are a few people who dismiss it because they can make it fringe, but I've never noticed anything that couldn't be corrected for in raw conversion.
Both the DA15 and DA21 are good lenses as well for when you go wide angle shopping, and there should be older lenses available that are good as well, though perhaps a bit rare and expensive.
06-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I just needed to double verify my logic before I let go of
that kind of cash. When I saw the 31mm available it tossed me into what I see is affectionately referred to as LBA. I don't like it...not a bit.

I have spent several days scanning the web, message boards and forums looking for a reason NOT to want this combo, but have failed. This post being my final attempt has confirmed this.

Looks like I will be getting off my wallet.

Tom
06-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
it tossed me into what I see is affectionately referred to as LBA. I don't like it...not a bit.
You're kidding, right? Isn't LBA one of the most enjoyable things you can do apart from being out there taking pictures?

I've found over many years of LBA that, in the words of Oscar Wilde, "The best way to deal with temptation is to yield to it".

Give in - lust for lenses, buy what you can, forget the mortgage - blow it on more lenses. You may die poor and homeless, but at least you'll die happy, knowing that you've bequeathed a fantastic collection of lenses to the family, who I am sure will really appreciate them..... hah!

PS: my family will really love the fact that I have a complete set of Ltds, from 15mm all the way up to 77mm and all points in between. I'm SURE they will love that......... won't they???
06-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just own the 43 so i'm no help.