Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
M42 SMC 85-210 f4.5 question on Manual Position

Hello, I have a SMC Takumar 85-210 f4.5 in m42 (not the legendary one, lol). I have a question about the Auto/Manual switch. On all of my other taks the manual position allows you to adjust the aperture while in the manual position. However my copy 85-210 does not do that. There is the little rod that if pushed in will allow the aperture to be adjusted (stopped down). I use a m42 adapter to my E-3 and it does not depress the rod?

Why does the manual switch not function like the rest of my taks. I will be a little disappointed if I find my lens is not functioning properly. It takes beautiful pictures at 4.5 however I find donut bokeh in some of my shots. It would be nice to have full control over my lens mainly DOF. I think I can rig some sort of device to hold the pin in, to bad I have to do this. Any and all information and advice to fix this would be very helpful.

06-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I do not have this takumar, but the last series takumars which allowed open aperture measurement on the spotmatic ES and F did lock the man/auto switch in de auto position when the lens is not on the body.
There is a very little pin on the mount, when depressed it will alow the switch move back to the 'man' position.
Then the aperture ring should control the aperture,
06-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can move he switch back and forth with no problem, It just doesn't function like my 50 1.4 with the M and A instead of manual and Auto. I hope someone can shed some light on this. I don't want to cobble some sort of device that may fall off inside my camera, just to hold a rod down.

Thanks for your response. I may post a video to show what I mean, I may not be explaining it properly
06-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have it fixed, I am so stupid. For some reason I had the switch showing the Auto (switch slid over to the Auto) thinking it was in manual, I slid the switch over to Auto revealing the word Manual and it functions properly. BTW there is no Pin that allows the switch to be moved back and forth. If a MOD see this thread as no value Please remove it as it was stupidity that was the issue. Sorry If I wasted anyones time in reading this post!

06-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akfreak Quote
I have it fixed, I am so stupid. For some reason I had the switch showing the Auto (switch slid over to the Auto) thinking it was in manual, I slid the switch over to Auto revealing the word Manual and it functions properly. BTW there is no Pin that allows the switch to be moved back and forth. If a MOD see this thread as no value Please remove it as it was stupidity that was the issue. Sorry If I wasted anyones time in reading this post!
the thread is not a waste.

It highlights a difference in functionality of some SMC Takumars which were made for open aperture metering.

There is no such thing as a dumb question, except those not asked.