Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter

55mm f1.4 lens hood

The DA* 55mm f1.4 lens is already deeply recessed. How necessary is the lens hood?

06-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hoods are always helpful, but not necessary. You'll see less flare with the hood.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The DA* 55 is one of the few lenses I don't make a conscious effort to always have the hood for when shooting.

Even without it you have to try to get flare.
06-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hoods are always helpful, but not necessary. You'll see less flare with the hood.
+1 to this.
Hood is NEVER a bad thing IMO.
Plus it protects the front element from whatever could come in contact to it from the sides....

I only owned DA*55 for a week but I loved the front element/hood design. I mean the fact that the front element is recessed and that the hood attaches to non moving part of the lens which is not right next to front element anyway! Brilliant design IMO! Wish there were more lenses like that...

06-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
cpk
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all!

Thanks for your feedback on the 55mm lens hood question. I usually use it and would not make a point of leaving it at home. But it can get in the way if doing quick shooting from out of the camera bag; that's all.
06-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Thanks for your feedback on the 55mm lens hood question. I usually use it and would not make a point of leaving it at home. But it can get in the way if doing quick shooting from out of the camera bag; that's all.
I don't have the 55, but about the only time I don't use a hood (for lenses that have them) is for really close work where it would get in the way, or when using the onboard flash and it causes a shadow (not all lenses have this problem).