Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by akfreak Quote
If you decide to get rid of the fifty please let me get first crack at it, Thanks
Will do! But I suspect my takumar love will see me keeping both.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I was forced to read Romeo and Juliet in high school in 1972, and that was the first and last time I saw the word "fortnight."

The teacher might have even explained what it meant, but we were all smoking so much weed in those days, I forgot.
Seriously, does no one use 'fortnight' anymore? Thanks Twitter...

But weed or not, I know enough to never ever sell the fast 50 Taks.
Yeah, as mentioned above, similar inclination here. I got to thinking about putting the S-M-C on the market, but can't yet bring myself to do it.

QuoteOriginally posted by FlashCube Quote
Woof, Do you have a copy of the 8 element version and if so, how does it compare to the later versions?
I now have one of each, but as per the existing reviews, if there is a difference it's subtle, and I have yet to see it. But then, I haven't done rigorous testing or anything.

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I cannot confirm statement about aperture blades. We should ask LensScribe. His is an eight element version.
I can confirm that the S-M-C has 8 blades while the Super-Tak has 6. Embarrassingly, I hadn't noticed until I saw this post and checked.

The Super-Tak is on my camera most days, so I'll report back if I notice anything that really distinguishes it from it's successors.

06-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #32
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Maybe not, but my H.S. chemistry class has the honor of being the first to having the bomb squad from called in from the State Capital to blow up an experiment on the football field. We were heroes because school was let out under a shroud of secrecy. We found a bottle of 30 year old picric acid in the store room. The explosives expert told us that the stuff was so unstable at that age that a flash from a camera could detonate it. We didn't tell him that our chem class had taken group pix with it earlier in the day. :Hysterical: It was a medium format Mamiya press camera.
HOLY CRAP!

How old was the school?
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #33
Pentaxian

The earliest serial # that I know of for the ST 50mm f1.4 is 766,000. The earliest serial # I know of for version 2 is 1,470,000. His serial # is more recent than that. I'm basing this on information gleaned from the partial data base collected by the now defunct m-fortytwo project.

Edit: For what its worth, I find the part number or lack of one on the A-M switch to be helpful but sometimes unreliable or confounding.
are you sure of the serial number range, and was there any overlap?

I clearly have an early version.

weight with no caps 244 grams, red line on the right of the 4, A/M switch, and convex rear element.

Serial number is 1,476,665 just a little higher than what you indicate, unless the lens was apart at some time and front's swapped.
06-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #34
Site Supporter

HOLY CRAP!

How old was the school?
You mean how old IS the school . . .

06-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
are you sure of the serial number range, and was there any overlap?

I clearly have an early version.

weight with no caps 244 grams, red line on the right of the 4, A/M switch, and convex rear element.

Serial number is 1,476,665 just a little higher than what you indicate, unless the lens was apart at some time and front's swapped.
Of the serial number range, I'm confident in. However, Pentax seemingly did not keep records on such things or were very close to the chest about it. I think the numbers in the posted range have 0000 for the last part of the serial number which makes the boundaries a bit fuzzy. I wish Mechelhoff had used XXXX for the last numbers instead of 0s. There is a reason that he and most of us say use the serial numbers with caution. I don't get too caught up in markings as much as the rear element because as Woof pointed out, during transition periods, Pentax would use up old parts and start using new parts. For example, I have a Super Tak 55mm f1.8 that came from the factory with the S-M-C mount and is a known variation.

Back to the point, you are actually comparing 1,476,665 with 1,47x,xxx. Which is the newer number? I'll have to go look at the serial numbers in Nigel's M-fortytwo data base to see.
06-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #36
Site Supporter

I checked the m-fortytwo project data base and the serial # of the earliest 2nd model in it is 1477016 which is larger than Lowel's serial #. However there were some 1st models built after that as well. The newest Model 1 in the data base appears to be 1581354. I suspect Asahi Pentax was using up the 8-element parts. When I have time, I am going to pull the serial numbers for the 50mm f1.4 lenses out of there. Pentax didn't use S# ranges based on models so they will have to be separated.

There are 450 Super Tak, S-M-C Tak and SMC 50mm f1.4 serial numbers listed in Nigel's data base.

Last edited by Blue; 06-23-2010 at 10:36 PM.
06-24-2010, 05:11 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I checked the m-fortytwo project data base and the serial # of the earliest 2nd model in it is 1477016 which is larger than Lowel's serial #. However there were some 1st models built after that as well. The newest Model 1 in the data base appears to be 1581354. I suspect Asahi Pentax was using up the 8-element parts. When I have time, I am going to pull the serial numbers for the 50mm f1.4 lenses out of there. Pentax didn't use S# ranges based on models so they will have to be separated.

There are 450 Super Tak, S-M-C Tak and SMC 50mm f1.4 serial numbers listed in Nigel's data base.
A bit off topic, but are you interested in serial numbers of any of my other lenses?

I have SMC tak 35mmF2, 50mmF4 macro, 135mmF3.5, Super tak 85F1.9, and takumar 200mmF3.5?

I also have other non pentax M42's
06-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #38
Site Supporter

A bit off topic, but are you interested in serial numbers of any of my other lenses?

I have SMC tak 35mmF2, 50mmF4 macro, 135mmF3.5, Super tak 85F1.9, and takumar 200mmF3.5?

I also have other non pentax M42's
I'd like to add your Serial #, model and number from the A-M switch (or blank) to Nigel's data base. Unfortunately, not a lot of people originally sent him that part #.

06-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I'd like to add your Serial #, model and number from the A-M switch (or blank) to Nigel's data base. Unfortunately, not a lot of people originally sent him that part #.
serial number you have

Model is type 1 8 element

A/M switch is blank

A is in white - M is reddish orange

F stops full stop at each end of scale 1/2 stops in the middle between F2 and F11

Aperture is 6 blades, slightly curved aperture collapses to a hexagon.

Wording on the beauty ring is as follows

Asahi Opt. Co Lens made in Japan Super-Takumar 1:1/4/50 1476665

lens is complete with Takumar rear cap Asahi Pentax front cap and standard lens hood 49mm

Lens weight is 244g with no caps or filters

can you post a link to nigel's database.
06-25-2010, 01:33 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Blue - would you like the details from my 50s too?
06-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
My 50mm f/1.4 has all of the same features as yours and a serial number that is about 230 000 higher. It has 37800 stamped on the A-M switch, as opposed to the 378 or 37801 given by AOHC. Based on the serial number I had figured it to be a 7 element 2nd generation version from somewhere around 1966 or 1967 but that's going by online sources and I have no way of confirming it.
Mine is the same as this as well.
I have 37800 on the back of the A/M switch.
My serial number is 1838270 on mine ... and the rear element does not stick out past the rubber ring.
06-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
Blue - would you like the details from my 50s too?
Yes. If you don't want to post the info in the open, just PM it to me.
06-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #43
Site Supporter

. . .
can you post a link to nigel's database.
I'll have to send you a spread sheet because his site has been down for a couple of years.

Edit: I posted a zip file in a thread a couple of months ago. It won't have the info from this thread in it or the sheet where I pulled out and sorted the 50mm f1.4 Taks.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57...erial-list-zip

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Mine is the same as this as well.
I have 37800 on the back of the A/M switch.
My serial number is 1838270 on mine ... and the rear element does not stick out past the rubber ring.
Yours is in the data base. You either submitted the info to Nigel or a previous owner did. However, the 37800 wasn't entered

Last edited by Blue; 06-25-2010 at 09:33 AM.
06-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50
Serial: 1385165
Version: 1 (8 elements, rear element protrudes)
Aperture: 6 Blades
F-Stops: 1.4 - 16 (as per Lowell's: full stop at each end of scale 1/2 stops in the middle between F2 and F11)
Switch: White A, Red/Orange M
Switch part No.: None

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.4/50
Serial: 6372820
Aperture: 8 Blades
F-Stops: 1.4 - 16 (as per Lowell's: full stop at each end of scale 1/2 stops in the middle between F2 and F11)
Switch: White AUTO, Red/Orange MAN.
Switch Part No.: 37902

Hope they're of some use. Pity the database project died. Blue, any idea what happened?
06-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote

Hope they're of some use. Pity the database project died. Blue, any idea what happened?
Nigel told me that he got busy and moved on to other things. He has things backed up and someone is supposed to pick the project up. I probably should clean up the spread sheet some and get with Adam and create a data base here.