Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yours is in the data base. You either submitted the info to Nigel or a previous owner did. However, the 37800 wasn't entered

Wow ... Actually ... I got mine from Ray Allen in NSW ... he's on a spotmatic mailling list along with being on this site as well. It was on an ultra clean Spottie I purchased off him a little while ago.

06-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I should have, but I don't. I do have a seven element user, and I like it quite a lot. Anecdotally I have heard that the eight element is the lesser lens (but not by much). In what way is it the lesser? I am not certain.
I looked for definitive info, but cannot find any. Here is some information: My Favorite Lens
There's some information here of which I was not aware - seems that the earlier ones might have had fewer aperture blades. On the other hand, this is someone who has stated:
"The original version had 7 elements arranged in 8 groups. This changed to 6 elements in 7 groups in 1966."
Ummmm... how can you have fewer elements than groups? 7 elements in 8 groups? See what I mean? Revers elements and groups here...
Disassembly and Cleaning of the F1.4 50mm Super Takumar Lens
I cannot confirm statement about aperture blades. We should ask LensScribe. His is an eight element version.
woof!
Woof, my 8-element and 7-element Super Taks have 6 blades and my S-M-C one has 8 blades.
07-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #48
Site Supporter

This is cross posted in the Tak Club thread.

From left to right, S-M-C Tak 50mm f1.4, Super Tak version 2 and Super Tak version 1

macro-Tak 50mm f4 & K200d

Look at the leading edge of the rear glass element in the next three images and the metal that rings the rear element. There is no edge on the version 1 while all later models have an obvious metal edge on that ring. You can feel it with a microfiber cloth on the later models but not the version 1. Only touch it with a clean microfiber cloth.

Version 1:

Version 2:

S-M-C:

Portrait of a Version 1 Super Tak 50mm f1.4

Takumar 35mm f4 & K200d

Takumar 35mm f4 & K200d
09-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #49

I have the opportunity to purchase a 50 1.4 Takumar with a serial# of 1399480

Is this the 8element one that is so desired by many?

I don't have any pictures of the lens yet to deduce from any of the other signs. Thanks!

09-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A 139XXXX serial # is certainly well within the range of the Model I. The only way to tell for sure is the protruding rear element and the IR mark between the diamond and f/4.
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #51
Site Supporter

That serial number is definitely before the area the Model 1 (8-element) and Model 2 overlap so the probability is very high that it is the 8-element lens.
09-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #52

Thank you both for the helpful replies. The seller wants $140 for this (no shipping).

Should I wait out on this message board for a better dealer? Ebay has them all listed for 100$+ . Not sure if I'm getting cheated or not

Thanks!
09-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #53
Site Supporter

I think that would be the upper end of what it is worth if it were in top condition with original caps, case and possibly the hood. Therefore, I would probably keep looking.

09-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #54
Site Supporter

I think that would be the upper end of what it is worth if it were in top condition with original caps, case and possibly the hood. Therefore, I would probably keep looking.
Agreed. They are not that uncommon, you can probably find one cheaper. Unless it is immaculate (and even then I personally wouldn't want to use it and scuff it up)!
09-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Agreed. They are not that uncommon, you can probably find one cheaper. Unless it is immaculate (and even then I personally wouldn't want to use it and scuff it up)!
Which one should I be looking for anyway? I'm finding conflicting information across every forum I stumble.

I realize the differences are minimal, but my understanding is that the first versions of the 50 1.4 with the 8elements produce a different bokeh - and this is a bit more favorable for many photographers. Is this correct? I do mainly video now with these lenses so sharpness and CA are of less importance. Bokeh and focus are more in the department I am looking.
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by touchogrey Quote
Which one should I be looking for anyway? I'm finding conflicting information across every forum I stumble.

I realize the differences are minimal, but my understanding is that the first versions of the 50 1.4 with the 8elements produce a different bokeh - and this is a bit more favorable for many photographers. Is this correct? I do mainly video now with these lenses so sharpness and CA are of less importance. Bokeh and focus are more in the department I am looking.
This part is very subjective. For bokeh, I would go with the 8-element. Some people would argue for the smc coating on the S-M-C and SMC Tak. If I only kept on of my 50/1.4 taks, it would be the 8-element for several reasons. However, this is very subjective and comes down to my opinion. The sharpness etc. is not as different as many would think and given sample variation, the overall means could be quite close. I suspect the 8-element would have the mathematical edge. The smc would improve flare etc but a hood closes the gap anyway.
11-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #57

Nigel's Database

I have a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, Serial Number 1876026. I believe that would make a radioactive Model II from 1965?

How about if someone built a 2 page website where people could submit their Super Tak details... That would be an easy way to maintain the database.
11-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #58

This part is very subjective. For bokeh, I would go with the 8-element. Some people would argue for the smc coating on the S-M-C and SMC Tak. If I only kept on of my 50/1.4 taks, it would be the 8-element for several reasons. However, this is very subjective and comes down to my opinion. The sharpness etc. is not as different as many would think and given sample variation, the overall means could be quite close. I suspect the 8-element would have the mathematical edge. The smc would improve flare etc but a hood closes the gap anyway.
Between my 8 elements and my S-M-C the difference in image is important.
The 8 el. (my copy) is very prone to flare, and the internal reflections degrade the image not only when the light is near or into de pic. If you have a clear wall as background, the "fog" that the wall produced invade all the image.

The SMC coating is a great diference in IQ for me.

And with the SMC, high contrast, the appearance of more resolution power is increased.

I, like almos all that I see, have the 2nd version of the 8 element with serial number 1.4xx.xxx. Near the lasts produced.

Said that, I like more the 8 element than any version of the S.T. 7 element not SMC.

Rino.
01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #59
Forum Member

Hello,

as i see this is kind of a recurrent question, i think better to ask in this thread than to start a new one, hoping it's ok.

I've just bought from separate sources a Spotmatic F and a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4;

i have some doubt whether it is the 8 or the 7 elements type because of the high serial: 2292677; while all of the other specifications look exactly like the ones of the 8 elements.

All the data:

IR indicator inside the F4 range
Aperture: 6 Blades
F-Stops: 1.4 - 16 (as per Lowell's: full stop at each end of scale 1/2 stops in the middle between F2 and F11)
Switch: White A, Red/Orange M
Switch part No.: None
Weight: > 240g (sorry about that, my kitchen scales aren't really precise; i have made measured also my SMC 1:1.8/55, whose weight should be 201 g, while on the scales it resulted lighter, so i'm pretty sure the weight here should be on the correct range)

The pictures of the lens are attached below.

I'll use this one as a portrait lens on a m42 adapter on my EP-1, but i really would like also use it as my main prime on the Spotmatic F; i'm just worried to mount it on it and break the mirror.

Can someone please give me some input?

thank you!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-P1  Photo       

Last edited by aheadfordinci; 01-04-2011 at 04:55 AM.