Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I thought 'meniscus' was a very clear description.
Thanks Blue

06-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
ok the search for an early continues. I thought I had it, but now know I am wrong!
06-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Anyone have a early one they want to get rid of?
06-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Mine only arrived a fortnight ago, so I'm clinging to it I'm afraid I was thinking of selling my S-M-C Tak 50/1.4, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to let go of any Takumars at all, even if they're almost identical.

You could try posting in the 'Wanted' section of the marketplace, and of course keep looking at sales, charity stores, KEH.com, perhaps even that auction site I hear talk of occasionally.

Best of luck with the hunt!

06-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If you decide to get rid of the fifty please let me get first crack at it, Thanks
06-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
Mine only arrived a fortnight ago
I was forced to read Romeo and Juliet in high school in 1972, and that was the first and last time I saw the word "fortnight."

The teacher might have even explained what it meant, but we were all smoking so much weed in those days, I forgot.
06-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I was forced to read Romeo and Juliet in high school in 1972, and that was the first and last time I saw the word "fortnight."

The teacher might have even explained what it meant, but we were all smoking so much weed in those days, I forgot.
But weed or not, I know enough to never ever sell the fast 50 Taks.

06-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well Mine is for sale ForthNOW, LOL
06-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by akfreak Quote
Anyone have a early one they want to get rid of?
Is this what you're after?
Ebay No. 290446618682 (Singapore seller)
Not cheap....but if it's rare.....& Tak lenses going the way they are...?!!!
Cheers, Pickles.
06-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by akfreak Quote
Looking at the lens I see conflicting info based on the lens data base. I hope some o you guys may be able t help me identify my version. It has the A and M not an Auto and Manual. The little mark orange mark on the left of the 4 on DOF says 7 element. there is no dot next to the 2. There are numbers stamped on the A/M switch. I am confused as the &element descriptions dont offer the A/M in the lens data base.
Please see: Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Lens Reviews

This has it right.

Yours is a Seven Element, later version. Easiest tell is the infrared tick to the left of the F/4 marking. It is interesting that the f/2 on the ring is a 2 not a dot, but I do not think this is all that astounding. Nice, and rarer probably, yes. However, I have seen Super Takumars that show at least this level of variation.

This variation occurred sometimes very close to production runs as they used parts from previous runs. It is also possible that it was one of the penultimate lenses in the Super Takumar line and it was being phased out in favor of the SMC version; in that case I might expect that parts from an SMC run could have been mixed and matched.

Look at the SMC version in the photos in the lens database. You'll see that they bear the 2 just like the older 8 element version.

Note that the Super Tak in picture 2 also has the "2." Actually I am wonderning now which is the more common, the 2 or the dot.

woof!
06-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I dont really know what I am going to do with this lens, I am going to take it apart and clean it first! There is some dust, Next I will do the UV LED light treatment to get rid of the yellowing. If I like it I will keep it if not, To the sale rack or in the pile with the rest! Thanks or all that help me, Thanks
06-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Woof, Do you have a copy of the 8 element version and if so, how does it compare to the later versions?

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Please see: Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Lens Reviews

This has it right.

Yours is a Seven Element, later version. Easiest tell is the infrared tick to the left of the F/4 marking. It is interesting that the f/2 on the ring is a 2 not a dot, but I do not think this is all that astounding. Nice, and rarer probably, yes. However, I have seen Super Takumars that show at least this level of variation.

This variation occurred sometimes very close to production runs as they used parts from previous runs. It is also possible that it was one of the penultimate lenses in the Super Takumar line and it was being phased out in favor of the SMC version; in that case I might expect that parts from an SMC run could have been mixed and matched.

Look at the SMC version in the photos in the lens database. You'll see that they bear the 2 just like the older 8 element version.

Note that the Super Tak in picture 2 also has the "2." Actually I am wonderning now which is the more common, the 2 or the dot.

woof!
06-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I thought 'meniscus' was a very clear description.
You obviously didn't enjoy the honor, as I did, of receiving the lowest 10th grade chemistry grade in the history of South Shore High School.
06-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You obviously didn't enjoy the honor, as I did, of receiving the lowest 10th grade chemistry grade in the history of South Shore High School.
Maybe not, but my H.S. chemistry class has the honor of being the first to having the bomb squad from called in from the State Capital to blow up an experiment on the football field. We were heroes because school was let out under a shroud of secrecy. We found a bottle of 30 year old picric acid in the store room. The explosives expert told us that the stuff was so unstable at that age that a flash from a camera could detonate it. We didn't tell him that our chem class had taken group pix with it earlier in the day. Hysterical It was a medium format Mamiya press camera.
06-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FlashCube Quote
Woof, Do you have a copy of the 8 element version and if so, how does it compare to the later versions?
I should have, but I don't. I do have a seven element user, and I like it quite a lot. Anecdotally I have heard that the eight element is the lesser lens (but not by much). In what way is it the lesser? I am not certain.
I looked for definitive info, but cannot find any. Here is some information: My Favorite Lens
There's some information here of which I was not aware - seems that the earlier ones might have had fewer aperture blades. On the other hand, this is someone who has stated:
"The original version had 7 elements arranged in 8 groups. This changed to 6 elements in 7 groups in 1966."
Ummmm... how can you have fewer elements than groups? 7 elements in 8 groups? See what I mean? Revers elements and groups here...
Disassembly and Cleaning of the F1.4 50mm Super Takumar Lens
I cannot confirm statement about aperture blades. We should ask LensScribe. His is an eight element version.
woof!