Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Other A-Type Lenses?

So I'm fairly new to the Pentax realm, and wanted to ask what may be a simple question. I recently ordered a Pentax-A 50mm/1.7 off of ebay, and am stoked about the A series line. I like the idea of having the convenience of aperture control with my K-7, but the feel of the old manual focus lenses.

The way I see it, I can use the newer AF fast zooms from Pentax, Sigma, or Tamron for action shots (kids, sports, wildlife), and the older MF primes for artistic stuff where time spent composing isn't pressured (landscape, journalism, still-life, portraits, etc).

It also helps that the MF primes are a good deal cheaper than their AF counterparts!

So here's the question, which sets of primes other than the SMC Pentax-A series offer the same "auto-aperture" (i.e. adjustable in-camera) and the same quality, but are still MF (or AF but relatively inexpensive like the A series)?

For example, did Sigma, Ricoh, Vivatar, or the like ever release any that were KA mount compatible (and fully usable)? I've seen Ricoh primes with an "A" aperture setting that were K mount but not compatible with (I guess) the KA mount electronics.

Basically I'm just trying to get a grasp of what's out there like the A series that's inexpensive, but quality glass with fully functioning in-camera aperture control.

Thanks in advance fellow Pentaxians for helping out this newbie!

06-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the 3rd Party companies have built lenses comparable to the Pentax A series as well as the M series. The Tamron Adaptall and Adaptall-2 lenses have mounts available that allow them to work like M lenses, a PK/A that allow them to work like A lenses and also m42 mounts.
06-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As far as the Ricoh PK/A-R mount goes, it's a fairly easy mod to make it work.

Check it out: theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

I recently got a Sakar 28-70mm PK/A-R for almost nothing. Luckily about a half-second before mounting it on my K-7 I remembered to check for the infamous Ricoh pin. Good thing that I did. After about 10 minutes in surgery, the lens seems to be performing just like a regular A type lens.
06-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #4

When I was looking for a Vivitar 28mm Close focus, I actually saw one with an "A" setting but didn't buy it since the diaphragm iris was stuck, so to answer your question, yes you can find 3rd party lenses with Auto diaphragm, I think I also saw some Sigmas and Tokina lenses with the A setting. Also, I don't see why everyone assumes that manual focus is slower than auto-focus, I am usually as efficient or even more efficient with my manual focus lenses than my friends with auto-focus lenses (and they have Canon systems).

06-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kiron, Vivitar, Tokina and Voigtlander are a few companies that have made A type mounts.
06-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses.

I know that 3rd party lens makers have made lenses with an "A" aperture setting, but I was thinking most of those weren't compatible with the KA mount. Perhaps I saw the exception with the Ricoh, but it sounds like even those are convertible as well.

So what are some good quality brands/series of older MF primes that work with auto-aperture?
06-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Kiron, Vivitar, Tokina and Voigtlander are a few companies that have made A type mounts.
Thanks for the list! I'll check those out.