Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget to look into a macro teleconverter.
If you got an M 50mm lens already this may well do the trick for under $100.
I've used a Ricoh version with some pleasing result.
Of course, extension tubes or a bellows are other options far cheaper than a full blown macro lens.
Here's a picture using the Ricoh macro teleconverter with an M 50mm f2 lens.
Good luck in your decision.

06-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmwsbabe Quote
Groucho, great pic! Is that cranberry sauce, with orange and rosemary?
(This reply is more or less on topic as the shots were all taken with the Vivitar 55mm macro.)

Actually, it was the brine that we used for this...

...which a couple days later, looked more like this:

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm very happy with the results of this lens! I got mine for $65 locally, but like I said, I've seen 'em go for under $100 a few times here. They're not super common but not super rare either. It's a Komine-built lens, if anyone is curious.
06-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmwsbabe Quote
That photo was the best (read: closest) I could do with my existing lenses, but I would like to be a bit closer. I have the 50 mm 1.7, but can't get focus (even on manual) when I want extreme closeness.
Right, for *extreme* closeness you need macro. The 50/1.7 could surely have come quite a bit closer than that sample, could it not? But not closeups of eyelashes. That is indeed macro.

QuoteQuote:
I think I need to be about 1 foot (sorry, I don't know the metric equivalent) away
Well, that will vary according to focal length. A shot that you'd take from 1 foot with a 50mm lens could be taken from 2 feet with a 100mm, or something like that.

QuoteQuote:
And the macro that I do have requires me to be so far away that the above photo was zoomed as much as possible, yet not truly as much as I wanted.
If it couldn't get a *ton* closer than that example, it's not a macro lens at all. I just looked again, and see that you said it was 1:4. That's not macro, despite what is written on the lens.

QuoteQuote:
Maybe I just need to wait and play with the 28-70mm 2.8 that I have coming. Being able to shoot more wide open should enable me to use a faster shutter speed, and I should be able to get in nice and close, right?
Not eyelash close, no, but almost any lens can get as close as your example. Put a Raynox 150 on your existing zoom, and *now* we'd be talking macro.