Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
16-50mm is about 2 years old, it's in very best shape; filter was on since day one, I even use an different lens cap on it to keep the original one wear-free. The lens has always been in the pouch when it's not being used.

06-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, a 12 megapixel full frame camera with a 300 mm lens is going to seem short compared to a 14 megapixel crop frame camera with the same 300 mm. I know that the crop factor doesn't make your lens longer, but in particular when there are less megapixels with the full frame, it means that you would be able to crop quite a bit more of your photo with the K7 than the D700. I guess I would just wait and see what Pentax comes up with in the fall.
06-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Definitely keep all of your gear. Do you really think all the extra money you would spend to maintain 2 different brands of SLRs would out weigh what you would gain from having 2 different set ups? I don't think the extra $ is worth it. Plus your Pentax set is already well built. Even though I would love to buy the 10-17FE I say keep the Pentax gear.
06-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have to agree with a previous poster, going wide on a crop and long on a FF doesn’t make sense.

I think your existing gear may be clouding your judgment on what your new purchases should be. You need to consider what you would buy today if you had nothing. Then set about executing to that plan. Eg, if you wanted both FF & Crop, would you set out to purchase the bodies from separate manufacturers? Possibly not. Would you set out to buy a crop camera for <200mm work and a FF for >200mm? Would you go out and buy both the 77mm & the 85mm Pentax lenses?

Like I said, figure out you ideal “system” and go with that.