Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need info on the reverse ring stuff for macro

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, i actually have these lenses,
50mm f1.7, 50mm f1.2, 28mm 2.8, 18-55 kit lens, 70-210 f3.5
as you see i have no macro (actually i have a 90mm tamron macro but for my nikon camera that i dont use that often).

The thinbg is that i want to shoot macro and i dont want to buy a new lens, i read somewhere about the reverse lens ring. What do i need to buy in order to make this work? no DIY stuff please, thanks a lot!!!!

06-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
rkt

you might want to look at these links ...

Macro Photography with a Reverse Mounted Lens - Tutorials
Reverse-Lens Macro Photography [tutorial] StephenElliot.com

though no first hand experience to share ...
06-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use lenses with the same filter ring diameter ... and I have just bought a 49mm reversing ring.

It is easy for me that most of my Takumar lenses use the same filter sizing.

Best thing to do is use the fastest 50mm to start with mounted to the body ... and reverse the 28mm on that if you can ... you should get close to 2:1 magnification just there.

Best to leave both lenses wide open .... but DOF will be very thin. I haven't fiddled with aperture though ... but from what i have read you should only adjust the aperture on the reversed lens (don't quote me on that).

And you need light ... lots of it. The only way to focus is by moving the entire camera rig .. if you can get macro-focussing rails on a tripod that will make things much easier.
06-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
The thinbg is that i want to shoot macro and i dont want to buy a new lens, i read somewhere about the reverse lens ring. What do i need to buy in order to make this work? no DIY stuff please, thanks a lot!!!!
No DIY? Ouch, where is the fun in that?

You can get the reversal rings off of eBay for less than $5.

This type of setup is real hit and miss but it does work. Like someone mentioned previously, you do have to be very close and have lots of light.

06-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Reversed combinations

Hi, i actually have these lenses,
50mm f1.7, 50mm f1.2, 28mm 2.8, 18-55 kit lens, 70-210 f3.5
as you see i have no macro (actually i have a 90mm tamron macro but for my nikon camera that i dont use that often)...
First, the Nikon (Tamron) macro lens may work on the Pentax camera (without automatic functions) - try it.

Second, the magnification one can get with one lens reversed on another is about:
Magnification=Focal_length_Primary/Focal_length_reversed

So for your lenses some of the practical magnifications are:

50/50 = 1x
50/28 =1.8x
(18-55)/28 = 0.6x - 2x

It is important that the reversed lens have a way for you to manually control its aperture (although it is not difficult to find a kludge solution if necessary.)

The first two lens combinations are essentially restricted to only the magnifications shown so aren't very versatile; the 28mm lens reversed on the kit zoom would give a nice range of magnifications and preserve all the automatic functions of the kit lens....the working distance would be small but usable - greater than a couple inches.

You might consider getting a $50 Raynox DCR 150 to put on your 70-210 zoom...it'd give you a nice working range & high image quality.

Lastly, consider reversing the 28mm lens directly to the camera body - this would typically give a magnification of around 1:1 and likely be of higher optical quality than any of the combined lens approaches, but would be strictly manual.

Maybe you should buy a lens-lens ring to reverse your 28mm on your kit zoom AND a ring to reverse the 28mm directly to the camera. This would give you some versatility at not much cost.
06-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might consider stacked lenses - two lenses mated 'nose-to-nose" with an adapter ring you can make yourself by modifying two filter rings with the glass removed or purchase cheaply on-line.

Search/google " stacked lenses " for articles.

John Shaw's book "Closeups in Nature" is an excellent reference for technique and equipment too.

H2
06-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Reversing the kit lens directly to the camera body works pretty well:

A little plastic of rubber tube over the apreture control lever will give you aperture control.

06-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Reversing the kit lens directly to the camera body works pretty well:

A little plastic of rubber tube over the apreture control lever will give you aperture control.
where can i buy this reverse ring?
06-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #9

Here is one from B&H...

General Brand - Reverse Adapter Pentax K to 49mm - AV49PK - B&H

One from Adorama..

DL1514 Adorama Lens Reversing Ring for Pentax K Manual Focus Lenses with a 49mm Filter Thread.
06-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
will this one fit my k20d with my kit lens or my 50mm 1.2?

52mm Macro Reverse Adapter Ring Pk-52 f Pentax K110D KM - eBay (item 370397897255 end time Jul-16-10 23:25:53 PDT)
06-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

52mm should be the right one for the kit lens, just check inside the lens cap and where the writing is on the front of the lens. Mine says '52mm' in both places.
06-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Don't forget to try your Tamron 90 macro for Nikon on your Pentax. If it fits (and there's a good chance it will fit), it'll give you superb results.

Let us know one way or the other please.
06-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #13

Original Poster
Don't forget to try your Tamron 90 macro for Nikon on your Pentax. If it fits (and there's a good chance it will fit), it'll give you superb results.

Let us know one way or the other please.

im scared that using the tamron lens i can damage the camera or the lens... i saw one web say long time ago saying that using nikon lenses on pentax cameras can damage both... can you tell me where can i see a succes story of using that combination? thanks!
06-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, the Nikon (Tamron) macro lens may work on the Pentax camera (without automatic functions) - try it.

Second, the magnification one can get with one lens reversed on another is about:
Magnification=Focal_length_Primary/Focal_length_reversed

So for your lenses some of the practical magnifications are:

50/50 = 1x
50/28 =1.8x
(18-55)/28 = 0.6x - 2x

It is important that the reversed lens have a way for you to manually control its aperture (although it is not difficult to find a kludge solution if necessary.)

The first two lens combinations are essentially restricted to only the magnifications shown so aren't very versatile; the 28mm lens reversed on the kit zoom would give a nice range of magnifications and preserve all the automatic functions of the kit lens....the working distance would be small but usable - greater than a couple inches.

You might consider getting a $50 Raynox DCR 150 to put on your 70-210 zoom...it'd give you a nice working range & high image quality.

Lastly, consider reversing the 28mm lens directly to the camera body - this would typically give a magnification of around 1:1 and likely be of higher optical quality than any of the combined lens approaches, but would be strictly manual.

Maybe you should buy a lens-lens ring to reverse your 28mm on your kit zoom AND a ring to reverse the 28mm directly to the camera. This would give you some versatility at not much cost.
My M 28/3.5 reversed gave 2X (actually 2.1X because of a filter adaptor 49 > 52 to match the on camera mount reverse; I had the 52mm version). You should (mathematically) get 1X with a 45.46 mm lens, the mount register distance, reversed on camera. The lens design will interfere with the figures, depending on where the designer put the optical node.
06-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

im scared that using the tamron lens i can damage the camera or the lens... i saw one web say long time ago saying that using nikon lenses on pentax cameras can damage both... can you tell me where can i see a succes story of using that combination? thanks!
You have a Tamron Macro lens for Nikon - is it an auto-focus lens or manual focus? If it's the latter you can just exchange the Nikon mount with a Pentax PK/M or PK/A mount and enjoy partial or complete compatibility with Pentax DSLRs.

Thanks,