Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
normhead: But those LTD's around f4-f 5.6 give you that ultra crisp center. What is more worthwhile center sharpness that will knock the sox off anything at one f specific f-stop, or better overall numbers and more consistency center to edge with acceptable numbers overall. SHouldn't everybody have that one lens that can blow the socks off anything in their bag, just in case the opportunity to use it ever comes up?
Norm, the Da40 is @ 2274 in the center, @ 5.6. The Fa 77 is @ 2302, in the center, @ 5.6. I would not, in the stretch of anyone's imagination, say the limited is knocking the sox off the Da--no way. Look at the Da's performance, all the way to the extreme borders.

If you are going to do landscapes, the sharpness uniformity is golden. I suppose, if you shoot with subjects in the frame's center, you could talk yourself into believing the incremental sharpness gain might be seen by someone in a print. What is more realistic, is the subject may get better highlighted, not by the increased center sharpness, but instead by the falloff @ the borders, which may make the center look sharper than it actually is.

What do you think?

01-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
What do you think?
I think? when did this happen?

I agree for landscapes, where I thought the crispness might be good though was when I shoot the furry little critters. Like a traditional portrait only for otters and weasels and other such animals. The fall off could be part of the whole blurred background thing.

But I agree the DA 40 is good, Just for my purposes, the 77 is more likely to be useful for wildlife, while the 31 would be more useful as a standard lens. I really do find the 50 a bit of a telephoto on the reduced sensor size. Really, what I should do is sell the DA 50 1.7 and ad the DA40. It would be great in the "standard lens" slot.

Anyway, it's time for some wine.

I went out today with the 90 macro, all by itself. A couple first photos, I like this lens already. I'd like it better if my lousy eyesite would allow me to manually focus it. It doesn't focus where I think it should in some cases and at 2.8 the DoF is narrow.

All hand held, scary to think what they'd be like if I was using a tripod.
01-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I love this lens.

01-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
normhead: I'd like it better if my lousy eyesite would allow me to manually focus it. It doesn't focus where I think it should in some cases and at 2.8 the DoF is narrow.
Norm, I had similar problems and bought a magnifying eyepiece and split prism: it helped a lot. Also, be sure you have the diopter set correctly. I adjust mine to the letters/numbers in the viewfinder for accuracy.

That is a nice shot of the bird--how did you get so close? I love my Tamron 90mm--it does all I ask of it and more--too many people think dedicated Macro lenses only do Macro--so silly. It is a great walk around prime and portrait lens too.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-29-2011 at 08:50 PM.
01-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
That is a nice shot of the bird--how did you get so close?
Those little chickadees are very confident birds, and learn quickly what's dangerous and what isn't. I just stand there, and they just hop around 3 or 4 feet away. A sudden movement will scare them but , very co-operative subjects. They are still skittish little birds however. I've taken 100 exposures to get 4 I like.