Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #1

Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro - Pentax mount?

Hi guys,

New to the forum and first post!

Came across a Tamron 90mm 1:2.8 Macro 1:1 Di lens which is currently for sale on a Nikon camera. Just wondering what I would need to make this Tamron macro lens fit my Pentax Kx? Would I need to buy a different adapter mount?

thanks

06-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WA-surfer Quote
Hi guys,

Came across a Tamron 90mm 1:2.8 Macro 1:1 Di lens which is currently for sale on a Nikon camera. Just wondering what I would need to make this Tamron macro lens fit my Pentax Kx? Would I need to buy a different adapter mount?

thanks
No, you need to buy the Pentax k-mount version. Buying this plus an adapter is a waste of money, frankly.

It is an excellent lens, BTW. I have one and highly recommend it. It doubles as a long 2.8 portrait. I paid $300 on eBay for my slightly used copy.
06-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The Tamron is probably the sharpest lens in Pentax mount in production, or at least in top 3.

You loose matrix metering though and weather sealing of the DFA 100mm.

Higly recommended and the price of around 400 USD NIB is really ok.
06-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK, the Tamron 90/2.8 1:1 macro that I own which is the current version of this lens and is easily available in K-mount has no problems with matrix metering.

The current Pentax DA-FA (??) 100/2.8 WR 1:1 macro has weather sealing and quick shift, but I don't think it has the focus limiter the tamron has (not too sure?).

06-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Recently got the Pentax version new for $410 after rebate. Still that price at B&H. Have not had a lot of opportunity to use it a lot (got others, too :-) but it does seem nice.
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WA-surfer Quote
Hi guys,

thanks
As indicated in the other posts, the Tamron 90mm must be purchased with Pentax K-mount.

It is definitely a great lens that I am learning to master.

Right now, the price in Australia are reasonable. I just bought mine new, last week for AUD$550 in Brisbane. With exchange rate and shipping cost, that is quite cheaper than ordering from overseas.
06-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
The Tamron is probably the sharpest lens in Pentax mount in production, or at least in top 3.
I'm sure it's a sharp lens, but it's not that sharp. Looking at photozone, all FA Limiteds (31, 43, 77) are achieving higher center sharpness than the Tamron - they all go over 2300 center, while the Tamron stays under 2200. DA40, FA35, FA50 also reach higher resolutions. And photozone doesn't review Zeiss/Voigtlander lenses in K mount, but I expect several of them would also be sharper.
06-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I will look out for on with a Pentax k-mount.

cheers,

06-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by kytra
I'm sure it's a sharp lens, but it's not that sharp. Looking at photozone, all FA Limiteds (31, 43, 77) are achieving higher center sharpness than the Tamron - they all go over 2300 center, while the Tamron stays under 2200. DA40, FA35, FA50 also reach higher resolutions. And photozone doesn't review Zeiss/Voigtlander lenses in K mount, but I expect several of them would also be sharper.
ok, maybe I'm exaggerated a bit However, it is a really sharp lens
06-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #10

i already have a nikon mount tamron 90 and i want to know if it can be used with no risk on my pentax k20d...
06-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It won't mount properly. I guess you could hold it onto the mount, twisted a bit. Should fit best around "two o' clock", but it does not lock (generally,only some Nikon F pre-AI and a few AI/AI-s lenses are able to mount, or at least lock partially). Judging from my AF Nikkor 35-80, it should not interfere with the aperture lever, but this may not be the case for all lenses, so be careful, or use an adapter.

For a safe solution, your best bet would be to get a cheap Nikon F - Pentax K adapter and take out the glass. It won't focus to infinity with the adapter when the glass is out (I would guess the far limit would be a few meters or maybe even tens of meters, depending on the thickness of the adapter), but it won't degrade the IQ (it even grants you a little more magnification).
06-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #12

what do you guys think about this adapter?.. no glass, just for macro...

nikon lens adapter 4 pentax K7 Km K20D K200D K10D K2000 - eBay (item 360200223932 end time Jul-17-10 19:15:43 PDT)
06-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter

"The Tamron is probably the sharpest lens in Pentax mount in production, or at least in top 3."

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
This brings up an observation regarding the Pentax D-FA 100 vs the Tamron 90. The Photozone testing shows the MTF values fairly close, until f16 where the Tamron pulls ahead, and by f22 the Pentax falls way behind.

I wonder if this fact could simply be a function of the focal length difference? The effects of diffraction increase at the smaller apertures, and an f16 or f22 aperture size is the same diameter whether in the 90mm Tamron or the 100mm Pentax, is it not? If correct, would something like a Sigma 180 have evn worse values, at the highest apertures?

When I bought the Pentax D-FA 100 WR, I strongly considered the Tamron because it is said to be a very sharp lens with great IQ. Now for some of this really high-magnification stuff (reverse-stacking, etc.), the depth of field of an f16 or f22 setting is beneficial, but the gains in DOF may be cancelled out by the loss of IQ. Just wondered if this is an inescapable fact of the focal length I chose, or is there more to it than that?
06-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thinking again about it, the photozone results may not be very relevant because I don't think the lenses are tested at macro focusing distance. Their best performance should be at close focusing, so at normal focusing distances they won't perform optimally.

Maybe kytra's statement might hold if it's restricted to macro lenses used for macro work
06-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
"The Tamron is probably the sharpest lens in Pentax mount in production, or at least in top 3."

This brings up an observation regarding the Pentax D-FA 100 vs the Tamron 90. The Photozone testing shows the MTF values fairly close, until f16 where the Tamron pulls ahead, and by f22 the Pentax falls way behind.

I wonder if this fact could simply be a function of the focal length difference? The effects of diffraction increase at the smaller apertures, and an f16 or f22 aperture size is the same diameter whether in the 90mm Tamron or the 100mm Pentax, is it not? If correct, would something like a Sigma 180 have evn worse values, at the highest apertures?

When I bought the Pentax D-FA 100 WR, I strongly considered the Tamron because it is said to be a very sharp lens with great IQ. Now for some of this really high-magnification stuff (reverse-stacking, etc.), the depth of field of an f16 or f22 setting is beneficial, but the gains in DOF may be cancelled out by the loss of IQ. Just wondered if this is an inescapable fact of the focal length I chose, or is there more to it than that?
Looks to me like they both fall off considerably past f16, the Pentax just more so. Per Klaus, he doesn't recommend shooting past f16 on an APS-C sensor, whatever the lens due to diffraction. I don't know that the focal length is a big factor here, if you check the DA 35, it is also sharper than that Tamron up to f16, but not as sharp at f16. Anyway, not really important to me since I don't shoot there anyway.