Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens definition needed

I searched for this but with the word "lens" in the search options, it came up with 298 results. I didn't feel like sitting for hours trying to find the one I was actually looking for. And that is, the words or type of lens called a Bay Lens. What does that really mean?

I found several with this title in a photography site in their used lens department. They're fairly cheaply priced and I was going to buy one but....need to know what that Bay means.

06-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, bay is short for bayonet, the type of lens mount that attaches with a relatively small twist.

Screw mount (or M42) is the other common designation.
06-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, duh, I should have guessed that was the answer.....LOL Thanks though cause now I know for sure what that means. And yes, I knew already about screwmount or M42 being the same thing. I just didn't associate "bay" as bayonet. Problem solved. Thanks again SpecialK.
06-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, duh, I should have guessed that was the answer.....LOL Thanks though cause now I know for sure what that means. And yes, I knew already about screwmount or M42 being the same thing. I just didn't associate "bay" as bayonet. Problem solved. Thanks again SpecialK.
On some sites. Adorama I think, they have the Bay on there to indicate it is listed on EBay. I think Henry's might do this also.

06-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adorama is where I saw the "bay" listed. I checked on ebay for this particular lens in Adorama's ebay store and it's not listed. Could it be it was because it had been on ebay but didn't sell?
06-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Adorama is where I saw the "bay" listed. I checked on ebay for this particular lens in Adorama's ebay store and it's not listed. Could it be it was because it had been on ebay but didn't sell?
could be. I have always found them on eBay. I might be scheduled to list also. And It could mean Bayonet. Look for other lenses to see if any are listed as Bayonet, if not look up the lenses on the forum to be if they are bayonet each time you find one. If so then bay = bayonet
06-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, bay is short for bayonet, the type of lens mount that attaches with a relatively small twist.

Screw mount (or M42) is the other common designation.
Be careful M42 is a screw mount but not all screw mounts are m42 x 1 thread. There is a t-mount m42 x 0.75. There is a Miranda M44 x 1 and a 39 mm also
06-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alan, thanks for the help. I'm just going to go with it for now and assume the lens is either ebay or bayonet. Either way, the lens I'm looking at works with Pentax.

Lowell, thanks for that info too. I always assumed a screwmount was M42. I've only had two screwmount lenses since shooting Pentax, and that was way back in 1995. They were both M42s.