Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 288
Where can I find the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited for $286?

In the lens review it said you could find it for $286. I know that is approximate but I couldn't find it anywhere but close to $500. I'm guessing I'm looking at the wrong lens. Can someone show me where I can get this lens for closer to the $286?

Thanks

06-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
In the lens review it said you could find it for $286. I know that is approximate but I couldn't find it anywhere but close to $500. I'm guessing I'm looking at the wrong lens. Can someone show me where I can get this lens for closer to the $286?

Thanks
Actually, it doesn't say you can find a DA40 for $286. The number you are quoting is the "average" price that people have reported paying for it (including used purchases) over the past few years.

That said, I believe the DA40 sells for around $340 from BHphoto/Adorama at the moment.

Last edited by dgaies; 06-24-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
06-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Juan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 145
If you really want to find that lens for that price then I recommend you start a thread in the "wanted" section on this forum. That said, you wont find that lens new for 286. New it costs around 340, so if you saved up a little more it would be worth it. Otherwise search the Marketplace here, people sell that lens every so often
06-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,194
Also check local ads. From a local Craiglist ad, I got a DA40mm for free. The attached *istDS body cost me $250, however.

06-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
scorpioh's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 178
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Also check local ads. From a local Craiglist ad, I got a DA40mm for free. The attached *istDS body cost me $250, however.
u mean the seller mistook it for a body cap? d:
06-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Forgot to mention that your Kx should have come with a rebate card for $25 off a DA40 (as well as savings off other lenses). That would get it down to $315 new.

Or you could spend ~$800 for a K7 and get a rebate card for $60 off
06-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Forgot to mention that your Kx should have come with a rebate card for $25 off a DA40 (as well as savings off other lenses). That would get it down to $315 new.

Or you could spend ~$800 for a K7 and get a rebate card for $60 off
Rebate card? What is this you speak of? I bought a Kx about 3-4 months ago and did not see anything about a rebate card. I bought it on Amazon, does that matter?
06-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Rebate card? What is this you speak of? I bought a Kx about 3-4 months ago and did not see anything about a rebate card. I bought it on Amazon, does that matter?
That's where I got my Kx, at Amazon. They're about 5"x7" cards and both the Kx and my K7 came with them. The official promotion is called "The Pentax K-x (K-7) Bounce Back Offer". They each have a different list of lenses (some in common) and different rebate amounts for the couple lenses in common. The K-x rebate card expires at the end of July, but the K7 card is good through the end of the December.

The best deals on the Kx card are $100 of a DA70 and $75 of a DFA 50.

The K7 card has a bunch of good rebates; $90 off a DA17-70, $60 off a DA40, $100 of a DA*16-50, $90 off the DA10-17 fisheye and $60 off the 55-300.

You can buy as many lenses as you want on each card, up to $480.

So check your box again, hopefully it's hiding in there somewhere

06-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
First, find Mr. Peabody, then set the Wayback machine to 2008. Once there you should actually be able to buy the DA 40mm for $240.


Thank you
Russell
06-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Aegon's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,410
Very nice Russell-Evans.

I was just going to find a picture of Marty McFly.
06-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Very nice Russell-Evans.

I was just going to find a picture of Marty McFly.
That's funny, I was about to ask if you could use that thing to go forward as well so you could pick me up a 2000-2050 sports almanac
06-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,958
You can probably get it for around that in our Marketplace

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/
06-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,430
I'm pretty sure GeneV has one he never uses. Might ask if he's williing to part with it.
06-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,948
Prices go up. One thing to remember is that if you really want to know the price of a Pentax lens, you have to add it to the cart. So, for instance B and H lists it for 499, but when you add it to the cart -- hey presto! It is only 339.95. I guess it has to do with the Minimum Advertised Price that Hoya has fixed at some weirdly high number.
06-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That's where I got my Kx, at Amazon. They're about 5"x7" cards and both the Kx and my K7 came with them. The official promotion is called "The Pentax K-x (K-7) Bounce Back Offer". They each have a different list of lenses (some in common) and different rebate amounts for the couple lenses in common. The K-x rebate card expires at the end of July, but the K7 card is good through the end of the December.

The best deals on the Kx card are $100 of a DA70 and $75 of a DFA 50.

The K7 card has a bunch of good rebates; $90 off a DA17-70, $60 off a DA40, $100 of a DA*16-50, $90 off the DA10-17 fisheye and $60 off the 55-300.

You can buy as many lenses as you want on each card, up to $480.

So check your box again, hopefully it's hiding in there somewhere
There was such a card in my box. Since this was my first ever SLR and I knew nothing about lenses, I didn't look twice at the card. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax lens, pentax-da 40mm f2.8, slr lens, smc pentax-da 40mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC DA 40mm f2.8 Limited (Worldwide) muustuus Sold Items 4 03-17-2010 01:35 AM
SMC PENTAX DA 40MM F2.8 LIMITED, Do I have to use the HOOD all the time ? brosen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 11-10-2009 11:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top