Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA* 16-50; Have I missed the review?

Hi All!

Unfortunately the search engine and I do not understand each other; can't do a cross-forum search for articles relating to the DA* 16-50...

This lens should have been released this WE, and rumor was it was available a bit before.. so I was kinda hoping to see a review by now?? I'm getting a bit tired of Googeling this item every few minutes, so was hoping someone here can point me in the right direction...

Hoping to find out all those negative-minded preview-peelers were wrong, and this lens is the one to replace a few primes and restore my peace of mind about the price.

So, anyone?

---edit---

well, guess not seeing the number of reactions Maybe I'm just too impatient...

Last edited by fishy; 08-13-2007 at 12:00 AM.
08-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

From the one post it seems the lens has a problem with focus. Might just be the one lens shipped to the poster here.

Louis
08-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, guess I was (or am) too eager to read good news. Had (still have, a bit) high hopes for this one, but I guess I'm leaning towards the 28-75 2.8 Tamron for the moment. I don't really need the wide, and hear great things about it. Just hoped the news would be all rainbows and confetti, preventing me from having to buy a separate wide when I felt the need.
And, this is the first time I've been through the process of a new lens release, the others I've looked at had already been around for a while, so thoroughly reviewed and tested.
08-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Check these:
Very good Mike..... Nice lens isn't it???: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
And this one:
原野攝影手 - 手部落

08-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff!
First one looks hopeful again, and for the second, well, guess I need to brush up on my Chinese a bit.. (if it was Chinese)
Although I got the impression that the IQ of the 16-45 is equal at least to the 16-50? Hmm... Maybe I had a bad sample of the 16-45, but didn't really like it. Again leaning a bit further towards the Tamron 28-75...
08-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
Thanks Jeff!
First one looks hopeful again, and for the second, well, guess I need to brush up on my Chinese a bit.. (if it was Chinese)
Although I got the impression that the IQ of the 16-45 is equal at least to the 16-50? Hmm... Maybe I had a bad sample of the 16-45, but didn't really like it. Again leaning a bit further towards the Tamron 28-75...
Actually the "knocks" in the blog were 1)Darker exposure at 18 wide open (won't comment but to say I consider it a non-issue). 2)Some CA but less than the 16-45. 3) High distortion at 16mm 4)Sharper than the 16-45 once you are at f4 or smaller. From looking at the pictures, it looks a LOT sharper. At 16 and 2.8 the quality looks to be equal to the 16-45 at f4... IF you use your 16-45 wide open or smaller the f2.8 looks much better optically but I'd wait for some more definitive tests. There is SOMEONE who has a few more comments but I pretty well disagree on their conclusions, in fairness I'll post the link:
(I really shouldn't do this )
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog
08-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff. Know the site, but like you I'll wait for definive tests still. I still do not believe in absolute truths . Other than a burning LBA I am in no rush to spend €€..

If I find a good review I will post it here... Or if anyone else does, they're welcome
08-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt the lens is officially out yet. I've been unable to find anybody selling it, not B&H, Adorama, Amazon, J&R ... nobody.

NaCl(hard to get a review when nobody can get their hand on the lens)H2O

08-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I doubt the lens is officially out yet. I've been unable to find anybody selling it, not B&H, Adorama, Amazon, J&R ... nobody.

Salty,

They are out. I have had them for more than two weeks. The longer DA* appears to be a lens with serious potential. As for the short DA*... well let's just assume it was a horrible copy that I recieved. If not... I'll stick with the kit lens.

Stephen
08-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Salty,

They are out. I have had them for more than two weeks. The longer DA* appears to be a lens with serious potential. As for the short DA*... well let's just assume it was a horrible copy that I recieved. If not... I'll stick with the kit lens.

Stephen
I'll second Stephen. Purchased both 2 weeks ago. The long DA* is quite good; my copy of the short DA* was aweful...I returned it. The problem now is they all seem to be sold out..... I would like to try another copy of the short DA*. Maybe by the time more come into stock, we will have some "professional reviews"
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

I was in my local camera store a week ago. They have three DA* 50-135mm and one DA* 16-50mm. B&H had some but sold out quickly. So yes, it is officially out but supplies are limited.

I already bought my DA* 50-135mm from B&H when they were "on sale" (and it is a wonderful lens). And I prefer the range of my DA 12-24 to the 16-50mm. So instead I bought a nice Gitzo tripod from the local store. Just trying to keep them in business.