Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 50-135mm or Sigma 50-150mm

Good day to all
I am having difficulties trying to determine which lens to choose, Pentax 50-135mm , or the Sigma 50-150mm. They are both around the same price and in the same focal range maybe 15mm apart. But i wanted your opinions. I have heard that the Pentax 50-135mm has some SDM motor failures and problems. And i read some reviews of the Pentax vs. Sigma, here pn the forum, but afterall i am still kind of stuck in between, the pros for the Pentax to me are the weathersealing and it is slightly lighter and thats about it. I am not too sure if this lens is realiable in terms of the SMD issues, and the IQ seems identical between the 2 is not much different. And also the Sigma seems to have faster AF. If somebody has tried these lens, can you please help me out and let me know of your opinions reguarding these lens, i would strongly appreciate it. Thank You.

06-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I found this thread really helpful... Even then, I'm still not sure which one I want! The Pentax sure looks like an amazing lens, I'm probably going with the sigma due to SDM problems, though.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/53035-sigma-50...-shootout.html
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh okay thanks for that, so you prefer the sigma? Is it only because the SDM problems. Does the pentax have better IQ?
06-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I prefer having SMC, and I like the DA 50-135 bokeh more, but SDM is really the deal killer. Sigma has 10 year warranty in Canada so it sort of seals it for me...

06-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I've had my DA*50-135 for over two years - it's been to the Antarctic and to Greenland, been rained on, seasprayed on, and hasn't missed a beat. If anything happened to it I would run out and buy another despite the infamous price increases having made it somewhat more expensive than the Sigma in the UK. I admit I have no firsthand experience of the Sigma, although I am the happy owner of three other Sigma EX lenses (see my signature) so don't have any obvious prejudice against them. It's just that the DA* 50-135 is so good...
06-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
I've had my DA*50-135 for over two years - it's been to the Antarctic and to Greenland, been rained on, seasprayed on, and hasn't missed a beat. If anything happened to it I would run out and buy another despite the infamous price increases having made it somewhat more expensive than the Sigma in the UK. I admit I have no firsthand experience of the Sigma, although I am the happy owner of three other Sigma EX lenses (see my signature) so don't have any obvious prejudice against them. It's just that the DA* 50-135 is so good...
What if what "happened" is SDM breaking? Would you really still trust the DA*s then? I know people sing praises of this lens, and the images from it certainly speak volumes of its optical quality, but I refuse to have a lens that only works for several months, then be in the repair shop for 3-5 months for something that's not my fault. I'm actually thinking I should pick up a cheap canon / nikon body so I can experience this lens without having to worry about SDM (pity the SMC though)

Despite this, I still really want a DA* 200mm... I really love that focal length, and hopefully SDM issue isn't as severe with less moving parts (no zoom)
06-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

i'm also considering these 2 lenses, and have done a fair bit of reading

from what i've read, the difference seems negliable, only visible at 100%

the pentax will hold it's value better (SDM issues not withstanding), the sigma is cheaper to begin with

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/53035-sigma-50...-shootout.html

edit: sorry didnt realise the link had already been posted

Last edited by clark; 06-25-2010 at 02:31 PM.
06-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
What if what "happened" is SDM breaking? Would you really still trust the DA*s then?
I wrote 'if anything happened to it I would run out and buy another one' -anything means anything. That's why I wrote it that way. Two of my Sigma lenses are factory reconditioned examples ie had been returned under warranty, repaired, and sold on at reduced price, so they've already been faulty...
06-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I understand that all, in the first place i was going for the Pentax, but i just can't imagine the lens braking on me, after spending that much money on a top lens. Why didn't theyrecall all these faulty lenses, Pentax does not seem to be concirned about their SDM issues. I've attempted to search if they are listing a recall but nothing. They could have much more better reputation for this lens, and the 16-50mm, if they address this one problem. Or they could at least give a 2,3 year warranty for what you pay for. At this point, even though i really would use the weather proofing, willing to buy the Sigma, because i just can't pay repairs for something in that price range, i am not packed with cash to spill it out for someone elses defect and problem..
06-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
I understand that all, in the first place i was going for the Pentax, but i just can't imagine the lens braking on me, after spending that much money on a top lens. Why didn't theyrecall all these faulty lenses, Pentax does not seem to be concirned about their SDM issues. I've attempted to search if they are listing a recall but nothing. They could have much more better reputation for this lens, and the 16-50mm, if they address this one problem. Or they could at least give a 2,3 year warranty for what you pay for. At this point, even though i really would use the weather proofing, willing to buy the Sigma, because i just can't pay repairs for something in that price range, i am not packed with cash to spill it out for someone elses defect and problem..
Kinda sounds like you already had your mind made up,,,hopefully this doesn't degenerate into yet another SDM-bashing thread. I'm willing to bet that any current-production DA*50-135's have had the issues addressed. I looked back through LightRoom and of all the lenses I own, the 50-135 accounts for more than half of my keepers. The image quality really is outstanding. I don't think you'd be unhappy with it, but if you are worried, I believe for a few extra dollars you can get the Mack (?) additional warranty through B&H or Adorama. Good luck with your choice.
06-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 50-135 is amazing glass. Just buy it. You wont be disappointed.