Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax FA 135mm f2.8

Hey everyone, since just recently acquiring a FA 50mm f1.4 I've really found a newfound addiction to primes, especially in the FA line (I also blame Mo after reading about his FA collection!). The problem I am having is trying to source some of these lenses is next to impossible! I've been searching high and low for a price point reference on the FA 135mm f2.8 and it's just non-existant even in most used shops I've searched including KEH. Anyone know of a current price point on this lens or possibly even a shop or retailer that may have some used ones in good condition kicking about?

And so the prime LBA begins...

08-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
clm

I haven't seen any lately, but they've been selling for $350-$400 on eBay.
08-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #3

I have this lens, like it a lot. I think I paid just over $300, and they seem to run in the mid $300 to $400ish range as clm mentioned.
08-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Early this year, I saw three sell on eBay- one for $450, and the other two for around $500. I fear that prices will continue to go up, so if you want a copy of this lens, you should act fast! They already cost more than a new piece did back when the FA serie came out

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah, I fear that prices will only continue to go up as the FA's become more scarce. If I can find one for sub $400 I don't mind paying for it but if they continue to rise I may just bite the bullet and fork over the additional funds for a DA * 50-135 (only a few hundred more). Decisions, decisions..
08-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

On Yahoo Japan Auctions, one just went for about $290. Another at a BIN price of $330 went unsold.

edit: The other is starting at around $330 and hasn't had a bid yet.

I want it so bad I can practically taste it. 135 is my favorite and most used focal length. I gave my Takumars the week off last week and spent that time letting my FA J 75-300 see the light of day for the first time in months. Result? A week's worth of crap.

The FA J 75-300 and the DA 18-55 kit lens (my only auto-focus lenses) are auction bound one of these days. Never quite been satisfied with either one of them.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 08-13-2007 at 01:40 AM.
08-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
If I bid do I get a free translator with that? I'll keep an eye on that site, any idea if there is an english translated version of it?
08-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
Forum Member

You can buy from Japanese Yahoo auctions through Rinkya - Japan Auction & Shopping Service - Japanese, Anime, Car Parts, Dolls, Robots, & Much More

I have a friend who collects Sony Aibo stuff and he uses Rinkya a lot. It adds a lot for the shipping, but sometimes you can still get good deals this way.

08-13-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarnhart Quote
You can buy from Japanese Yahoo auctions through Rinkya - Japan Auction & Shopping Service - Japanese, Anime, Car Parts, Dolls, Robots, & Much More

I have a friend who collects Sony Aibo stuff and he uses Rinkya a lot. It adds a lot for the shipping, but sometimes you can still get good deals this way.
Looked promising at first but the search doesn't show "Pentax", "FA 135mm", "SMC", etc. Even a basic search like "Digital Camera" doesn't show any Pentax gear at all. So I don't know if it has any value for us.
08-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, finding somebody to handle the logistics is only half the trick. First you have to be able to find stuff.

Here's a link to the Pentax (and Pentax compatible) lens section

The columns are sortable in the usual way, and from left to right are:

1. Current price
2. Points (ignore this one)
3. Number of bids
4. Time remaining

At the top and bottom of listings, you can find "Previous 25" and "Next 25" links. They'll be pretty self-evident, I think.

You might want to hunt around for some means of translating the pages. I know of folks who know of ways, but since I can read the stuff as-is I've never bothered looking into it. The biggest reason that's important is that much of Japan has quite humid summers, central air is unheard of, and consequently fungus is a problem. The descriptions usually tell if fungus is present or not.
08-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Try the Japanese to english (beta) translator from google.
it works quite well.

for example:
Translated version of http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/

If the link do not work:
go to google translate tool
type:
auctions.yahoo.co.jp in the box and from their it is just browsing almost like usual.

my advice, don't do it as your LBA will wake up quickly or the tentation to go to Japan will be to difficult to contain.

Mitch34
08-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
Heh, yeah I've been amazed at how much Pentax gear I've seen on ebay and other sites from Japan. A friend of mine from LA is over there now teaching English and was saying that photography is huge over there and they're so meticulous about everything it's very rare to see banged up used products.

Maybe I'll just move there instead and do freelance CG work to feed my LBA Thanks for the links and info folks!
08-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Second one went for $335, with just a single bid.
08-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

manual 135?

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
Hey everyone, since just recently acquiring a FA 50mm f1.4 I've really found a newfound addiction to primes, especially in the FA line (I also blame Mo after reading about his FA collection!). The problem I am having is trying to source some of these lenses is next to impossible! I've been searching high and low for a price point reference on the FA 135mm f2.8 and it's just non-existant even in most used shops I've searched including KEH. Anyone know of a current price point on this lens or possibly even a shop or retailer that may have some used ones in good condition kicking about?

And so the prime LBA begins...
Shawn, have you thought about the K 135 F2.5? It is a great lens, and probably more available (and somewhat cheaper) than the FA. I own the K and have been more than happy with it. The longer I own it, the better I like it. I'm at work so I can't post any recent shots with it, but I'll post some tonight when I get home. Just another lens to consider

NaCl("Salty is the name, LBA is the game)H2O
08-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #15

Original Poster
I looked at a number of the manual focus versions, there's a flood of them on KEH and I also see them popping up on ebay and the marketplace here. Optically they look quite good but for the action photography I do with motorsports I like the AF function (some may call it lazy but I've yet to master the art of manual focus on a 320km/h Formula One car).

I lucked out as well that a friendly forum member here happened to have a sparkling FA 135mm he was looking to get rid of at a great price and couldn't help but feed the LBA. Primes have won me over, I look at my Sigma 70-300 lens and picture an FA * 300mm f2.8 while I begin to wonder if all my banked hours would cover such a feat

Thanks for all the inputs!

cheers,

Shawn