Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Decent Fast-ish Manual Wide

Hi all,

So I'm in the market for a fast-ish wide angle lens. I'll be putting it on a MX to shoot b&w. So color rendition isn't a huge problem, would like sharpness throughout though. Main uses will be indoors, to use without flash and try to minimize camera shake, and architectural stuff. Mostly at sunset/night so will be on a tripod then. The widest i have now is a Quantaray 28-90mm 3.5-5.6 and besides it's obvious IQ deficiency using it on a manual body is less than an enjoyable experience.

Pentax is always nice, but a soviet lens or some weird off-brand is always fun. Oh and fixed focal length of course.

Thanks for saving me searching through endless posts that match "lens"

T

06-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For interior architectural, you have to be looking at ultra wide angles, and there's not much out there in manual like 10, 14, etc. anyway, as far as primes go.

Also, for architecture, speed isn't really an issue, since you would be on tripod anyway.
06-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

If I unerstand correctly MX is manual body, right?
In that case K24/2.8 woul be my recomendation. It's plenty sharp, plenty wide and at f2.8 decently fast and has really goo contrast straight from wie open. They usually go for around 100-125 GBP on this side of the pool.
good luck choosing
06-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

My bad--MX.

06-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are lot's of wide options, that can be had fairly in-expensively, but note, there is a steep price break at 24mm, wider than that can get expensive fast.

I have picked up the following, all under $30 and except for one under $15

tamron Adaptall 28mmF2.5,
Vivitar 28mm F2.5 (M42),
kiron 28mmF2 (MD converted to K mount),
vivitar (kiron) 24mmF2 (Nikon converted to K mount,
Sigma 28mmF2.8 KA mount.

there are lots out there and if you are using film 24 or 28 should suite your needs
06-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll second Axl's suggestion for the K 24/2.8.

I have a Pentax MX and this is the widest angle manual focus lens I own. It is sharp, produces great colours and features that wonderful K series build quality. Very good at f 2.8 and it keeps getting better from there. I can't imagine it being anything less than stellar in black and white. It is significantly wider than a 28mm but not so wide you have to worry about your feet getting in the picture. Works well in digital too. I'm not sure of the current price for these little gems but if you can find one you won't be displeased.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 06-27-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typo
06-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

Personally, I've always found this lens pretty intriguing: MC Mir-47 Pentax K 2.5/20 Lens

Never read any formal tests about, though I remember once finding sample photos that looked quite decent. At this price I would definitely consider it, if I were looking for a lens of that type.

06-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
Personally, I've always found this lens pretty intriguing: MC Mir-47 Pentax K 2.5/20 Lens

Never read any formal tests about, though I remember once finding sample photos that looked quite decent. At this price I would definitely consider it, if I were looking for a lens of that type.
this is an interesting lens and option.

I am looking for something in the below 24 range in K mount, do you have any first hand experience with it?
06-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
Hi all,

So I'm in the market for a fast-ish wide angle lens. I'll be putting it on a MX to shoot b&w. So color rendition isn't a huge problem, would like sharpness throughout though. Main uses will be indoors, to use without flash and try to minimize camera shake, and architectural stuff. Mostly at sunset/night so will be on a tripod then. The widest i have now is a Quantaray 28-90mm 3.5-5.6 and besides it's obvious IQ deficiency using it on a manual body is less than an enjoyable experience.

Pentax is always nice, but a soviet lens or some weird off-brand is always fun. Oh and fixed focal length of course.

Thanks for saving me searching through endless posts that match "lens"

T
This Tokina might make you interested, if still available:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/102220-sale-c...-35mm-etc.html
06-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
this is an interesting lens and option.

I am looking for something in the below 24 range in K mount, do you have any first hand experience with it?
Unfortunately not, and I can't seem to find the aforementioned test shots. I do know that a local store has a copy for sale, although at a ridiculously inflated price. If I go there next time and it is still there I can offer to take a look at it and do some test photos if I happen to carry a body with me.

Anyway, the price from that link I posted is pretty good. If I had any interested in a lens like that I'd probably go for it blindly. At those specs it should be no problem getting your money back in the Marketplace if it's half-decent.