Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
HELP! Old 3x Teleconverter on Kx Question

I have been shooting a UFO that hovers over my city for an hour every night since March. Have taken many dramatic shots with Kx and Pentax FA100-300...search chefpetey on YouTube.
Girlfriend dragged me to a Flea Market and I just so happened to find a beautiful, NOS Ricoh 3x TC with PK mount. 100% manual.
Thought this will really "get me out there" with my subject.
Got home and went through all the steps and took a couple quick shots in the afternoon and didn't even try messing with the settings. Images were awesome. Tonight I go up the mountain and start preparing my camera and I finally realize I CANNOT ADJUST SHUTTER SPEED. I have to take what the camera gives me. What am I doing wrong? Is there a manual override?

06-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chefpete1 Quote
I have been shooting a UFO that hovers over my city for an hour every night since March. Have taken many dramatic shots with Kx and Pentax FA100-300...search chefpetey on YouTube.
Girlfriend dragged me to a Flea Market and I just so happened to find a beautiful, NOS Ricoh 3x TC with PK mount. 100% manual.
Thought this will really "get me out there" with my subject.
Got home and went through all the steps and took a couple quick shots in the afternoon and didn't even try messing with the settings. Images were awesome. Tonight I go up the mountain and start preparing my camera and I finally realize I CANNOT ADJUST SHUTTER SPEED. I have to take what the camera gives me. What am I doing wrong? Is there a manual override?
Set your camera's dial to "M" and then you can adjust shutter speed AND aperture manually. The old Ricoh tele converter renders all the autoamtics uselessly, as it hasn't got the contacts in the mount to transmit the electronic data between camera and lens. You also need to set "use of aperture ring enabled" somewhere in your Kx menues (please refer to use of old K/M lenses in your Kx manual). In Av or P mode the camera will only be able to use your lens wide open and adjust shutter speed accordigly, without the possibility of changing that, with a TC like that.

Ben
06-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Note there is almost no chance of this TC giving results that are as good as simply cropping an image taken without the TC. But since it's a completely manual TC, tit turns your FA lens into a completely manual lens, meaning you need to read the sticky thread at the top of the beginner's forum for info on how to use it.
06-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Seems OK but in Live View it captures only the first shot and from there on it only SOUNDS like it is capturing an image when it is not.
YES I was thinking like a baseball player, not a photographer...thinking "maybe if I get some more wood on the ball." NOT. Add to that the fact that at night it is useless. The TC will be used as a toy from here on. Still a well-spent 5-bucks. Thanks again guys. I will soon post some of my ufo shots here

06-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chefpete1 Quote
Seems OK but in Live View it captures only the first shot and from there on it only SOUNDS like it is capturing an image when it is not.
YES I was thinking like a baseball player, not a photographer...thinking "maybe if I get some more wood on the ball." NOT. Add to that the fact that at night it is useless. The TC will be used as a toy from here on. Still a well-spent 5-bucks. Thanks again guys. I will soon post some of my ufo shots here
Some UFO images would be nice - I have never seen one…

Ben