Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #1

SMC PENTAX-A 35-80mm f/4-5.6 Zoom - can be used on my KM and ME Super?

Question is as above. A photo of the lens is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/data/42/SMC-Pentax_A35-80.jpg

I'm thinking of getting this lens to use with my ME Super and KM (film bodies). I see the lens has an aperture ring, but still, woukd it work perfectly with my film bodies? Or is it more suited to AF bodies? Will it function with the ME Super's AE mode?

Thanks in advance.

06-28-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altair Quote
Question is as above. A photo of the lens is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/data/42/SMC-Pentax_A35-80.jpg

I'm thinking of getting this lens to use with my ME Super and KM (film bodies). I see the lens has an aperture ring, but still, woukd it work perfectly with my film bodies? Or is it more suited to AF bodies? Will it function with the ME Super's AE mode?

Thanks in advance.
I think it would work with all the above, if they have in-camera metering. But if it is anything like my F 35-80, which is pretty junky, I wonder why you would want to. See also

Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-A 35-80mm F4-5.6 Lens Reviews.

I guess you must have seen it already.

Save up a bit more and look for an FA24-90. I did, happily.

Tim
06-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Tim, thanks for your input. But how about cameras without in-built meters or non-functioning ones? The meter of my KM is shot, so I meter with a handheld meter. Will FA lenses also work perfectly with older K-mount bodies? Pentax's lens nomenclature is still so confusing for me! Aarrgghhh.
06-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why would there be a problem? As long as it has an aperture ring, it should work fine on any film body*. And if it lacks an aperture ring, it will still work on any film body that can control the aperture. If it's a AF lens (like the FA series), you won't be able to take advantage of that unless your camera is an AF camera, but it will still work as well as any other lens on that camera. On'ly the newer "digital only" lenses (DA series) should be avoid on film.

*OK, the film bodies with the "crippled mount" that require an "A" position on the aperture ring won't like lenses that lack this.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-28-2010 at 10:32 AM.
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a pretty bad lens if you ask me- if I were you, I'd get a lens such as the A 35-70mm F4, which features the normal metal barrel typical of the A series, which is optimized for manual focusing.

As far as compatibility goes, you won't have any problems, as A lenses can be used on almost all film bodies (all but the MZ-60, in fact: see this compatibility chart).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
Marc: thanks for your input.

Adam; thanks for your.very helpful reply, that chart is exactly what I was looking for! I'll keep your suggestion in mind and I'm going to skip this lens.