Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Question for FA 28-70/4 owners

I have an opportunity to get refurbished and fairly good looking FA 28-70/4 for a very good price. However, both zoom ring and focusing ring feel very loose with almost no friction and by simply shaking the lens they would move. The lens operates normally though.

Zoom ring has a small gap and it is possible to move it up and down by a 0.5mm or so. Also, and as a reference, focusing ring feels worse than the one on DA 18-55, somewhat like on Canon EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6.

I own FA 20-35/4 and FA 35/2 and both lenses do have tight and smooth operation of all controls I am very pleased with. I was expecting the same with FA 28-70/4 but that's not the case.

Question (at last): is this normal, or this particular sample has been simply heavily used and worn out?

08-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll race ya to it?

;-)
08-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ok that was mean. haha. Sry Ivan.

I think I know which FA28-70 you are talking about haha. Ya, I've seen the FA100 Macro a long time ago and the focus ring is just as lifeless and very loose feeling. Even the F lenses. With the slightest effort, the ring just flies.

I had the chance to try it out a week ago.

Surely shots in a dimmly lit camera store don't really show much but the results were surprisingly contrasty. I had to underexpose a bit to avoid camera shake. I would have gotten this lens but I just have way too much overlap.
08-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have my FA 28-70 right here. While not as nice feeling as other lenses i have used my focus ring and zoom ring are not loose and don't shift when the lens is shaken

The lens does look and feel pretty cheap but it is surprisingly robust and a pretty good lens for the price. I use mine for street shooting and informal portraits mostly.

Last edited by arbutusq; 08-13-2007 at 06:25 AM.
08-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I think I know which FA28-70 you are talking about haha.
LOL! You got it right! I remember they sold bunch of 28-70s recently on eBay but I was not paying too much attention. However, once I figured that FA 28-70/4 is a good lens and would make a very nice street lens there were all alredy gone. I was surprised to see one in the store the other day and I almost go it, but mechanically it felt really really "loose" so I passed... for now. :-)

Thanks for the samples. It appears to be optically OK.
08-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
While not as nice feeling as other lenses i have used my focus ring and zoom ring are lot loose and don't shift when the lens is shaken
Thanks, that's confirms my conclusion. (I assume by "lot loose" you mean "not loose".) Besides two FAs I own I have had a chance to handle FA28, FA50 and FA... (something like 80-200 or similar, too lazy to go to KMP to check now) and none of these felt like all screws are loose.

Thanks again, I'll wait for a better one.
08-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
I have my FA 28-70 right here. While not as nice feeling as other lenses i have used my focus ring and zoom ring are lot loose and don't shift when the lens is shaken

The lens does look and feel pretty cheap but it is surprisingly robust and a pretty good lens for the price. I use mine for street shooting and informal portraits mostly.
I'd mirror Artutusg's comments. Mine feels cheaper than any FA primes I have and I don't have an 18-55 to compare against. There is a small gap between the barrel and zoom ring and a marginal amount of 'play' forward and back but barely noticeable (most likely standard for this lens). The focus ring is not super tight but is reasonably smooth but on mine it wouldn't be possible to change the focus with moving the lens. Sounds like the focus ring is the only issue with this version you saw.

08-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

can you roll the rubber grip back on the focus/zoom ring? if so see if there are any small screws. the A70-210/4 has a bad habit of getting ring wooble and it has 3 screws under the rubber grip closest to the mount. tightening these snug it back up.
08-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
can you roll the rubber grip back on the focus/zoom ring? if so see if there are any small screws. the A70-210/4 has a bad habit of getting ring wooble and it has 3 screws under the rubber grip closest to the mount. tightening these snug it back up.
Roy, This model is built differently and has a separate zoom ring and focus ring. The older all metal bodied lenses had this adjustment ability but not these versions.