Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending if you're on a tight budget, the Vivitar Series 1 55mm F2.8 Macro is a 1:1 lens and the results are spectacular for the price since you can often find it under 100$ on the auction site.

My girlfriend has just started with DSLRs and budget is an issue (She's unfortunately an Olympian).
She found one for around 50$ in practically new condition. She didn't know if she should go for it or not.

Upon seeing the results by a PF member named Rense, she decided to get it. You should look up his gallery.

You can't get better 1:1 for the price.

If I didn't have the FA 100mm 2.8 I'd have jumped on one already...I still might in the future.

06-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #17
Inactive Account

FA* 200/4 would be the best. Considered to be among the best lenses ever, regardless of brand.
BUT, it's extremely rare and would probably go for about $3000 +/-

Me myself were looking at the Sigma 180mm Macro lens. Pretty good reviews, although very heavy.

That's my thoughts, though a little over your preferred focal lengths. I don't exactly know very much about 50-100 macros.
06-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Don't look for the Voigtlander 125mm 2.5. It isn't a very good lens and you wouldn't like it.

Infact if you do find it please forward it to me I'd be more than happy to help you dispose of it.
Funny about the lens. It reads f2.4 when mounted in a Pentax body. It's a surprise to think how the Voigtlander has increased in value, but I'm debating whether to try to sell or exchange it for a Sigma 150-500 when HSM is available for the Pentax version.
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CGottfried Quote
Funny about the lens. It reads f2.4 when mounted in a Pentax body. It's a surprise to think how the Voigtlander has increased in value, but I'm debating whether to try to sell or exchange it for a Sigma 150-500 when HSM is available for the Pentax version.
it's an approximation of the aperture opening. it registers at 2.4 but it would most likely be close to 2.5.

as far as choosing between it and the Bigma, it would depend on how much you need aperture speed and your willingness to carry a bigger, heavier lens.

06-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's an approximation of the aperture opening. it registers at 2.4 but it would most likely be close to 2.5.

as far as choosing between it and the Bigma, it would depend on how much you need aperture speed and your willingness to carry a bigger, heavier lens.
I'll have to pay more attention whether there's any difference between 2.4 and 2.5 (which seems rather insignificant, just a little odd).

Since I generally carry the K1000/f11 at 5 pounds, anything else will seem both light and fast. Anyway, I'd prefer the 150-500 to the Bigma, since the range seems more reasonable (if that isn't particularly foolish).
06-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I alternate between my M42 Pre-Set 50mm 1:1 Macro-Takumar & my M42 S-M-C 100mm Macro-Takumar, depending on the situation. Superb optical & (difficult to attribute this quality to most other options) physical feel/manual operation. Either can be found for a comparatively reasonable price, with a little patience.

Last edited by raymeedc; 06-29-2010 at 04:44 PM.
06-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CGottfried Quote
I'll have to pay more attention whether there's any difference between 2.4 and 2.5 (which seems rather insignificant, just a little odd).

Since I generally carry the K1000/f11 at 5 pounds, anything else will seem both light and fast. Anyway, I'd prefer the 150-500 to the Bigma, since the range seems more reasonable (if that isn't particularly foolish).
No. I don't think it's foolish if size and weight is not an issue if you carry such a setup. definitely it is not ideal for travel. although it would be nice for a 2-3 lens setup kit. I was thinking about this if ever I come to the point where I have to concetrate only on 3 lenses or just choose a small portable camera+lens setup.
06-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Those are some lovely shots. I really appreciate all of the info. Has anyone tried the sigma 70mm macro? I heard it is pretty good for portraits almost as good as the pentax 70mm limited? I mean i am kind of inpatient. i can get the money for the lens, but not right away, i already got the money, but i am wanting to get the Pentax 50-135mm. I found the Pentax 100mm WR for around 609 on Adorama, what you guys this?

06-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
Those are some lovely shots. I really appreciate all of the info. Has anyone tried the sigma 70mm macro? I heard it is pretty good for portraits almost as good as the pentax 70mm limited? I mean i am kind of inpatient. i can get the money for the lens, but not right away, i already got the money, but i am wanting to get the Pentax 50-135mm. I found the Pentax 100mm WR for around 609 on Adorama, what you guys this?
I tried it and it's a great lens. no CA problem, great sharpness, nice bokeh. awesome for macro, and very nice for portraiture. although my only complaint about it is it's slow AF. I don't mind the big size though.
06-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
I paid $599 for mine in March.

Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 WR - a set on Flickr

All of the options presented have their strong points and you could do well with any of them. Can't speak on the 70 except to say that (other than a physical size consideration), there isn't a lot of reason to buy it once you have the 100. Meaning, there isn't much you can do with the 70, that you cannot with the 100. Of course, it's always fun to have both

06-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I have used both the FA 100 macro and the Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro. I own the later. Both great lenses. the FA version of the Pentax 100 macro makes beautiful images, and it's constructed like a tank (in durability and heft.) The Tamron is well-constructed too, and I love its clever AF/MF focusing ring. I bought the Tamron with the idea of using it on film or digital, as both a portrait lens and macro lens. I'm not disappointed.
Same here!
07-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Sigma 150mm F/2.8

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
If only the sigma 150mm F/2.8 was in Pentax mount

That would be the best price/performance wise IMHO.

I second that. I am thinking about getting this lens anyway with a Nikon mount and using an adapter to fit it on my K-7. I read I would lose automatic focus and I can't focus to infinity unless the adapter had correction glass.

I will wait for several more months to see if Sigma chooses to do it.
07-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I second that. I am thinking about getting this lens anyway with a Nikon mount and using an adapter to fit it on my K-7. I read I would lose automatic focus and I can't focus to infinity unless the adapter had correction glass.

I will wait for several more months to see if Sigma chooses to do it.
I emailed them and was told flat out that they will not be making a K mount version. DAMN YOU SIGMA!