Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Incorrect Lens Information + Flash?

Just wondering... would it affect my flash capabilities if my camera reads anything over 50mm to be 50mm and maybe if the aperture is read wrong?

06-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focal length isn't normally one of the parameters in a basic flash power equation, so even if there is some subtle way it might affect the system, it's really doubtful that being off between 70mm and 50mm is going to affect anything. Aperture *is* one of the parameters, but it's important realize that stated maximum apertures on zooms are just approximations. Even if your lens was supposed to be capable of f/4 in the 50-70mm range, that might *really* mean f/3.8 at 50mm, f/4.2 at 70mm. So I wouldn't sweat it *too* much if the camera happens to be rounding that up instead of down (although it is curious and worth investigating). it's just an approximation either way, but should close enough to get decent exposure with or without flash - otherwise variable maximum aperture zooms would never work.
06-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the only issue relating to focal length and flash is if the flash has a zoom function to change the angle of coverage as focal length changes.

This would only ever be an issue if the lens was reporting to be significantly longer than it was, then you might see vignetting of the flash at the corners due to poor coverage.

Most errors I have seen with flash happen because of the conversion of ASP-C and full frame. the flash usually gets it right at least it covers the frame., but I am never sure what the focallength it reports actually means.
06-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okies! Yeah... this is strange... thinking of getting a flash though. Currently in Hong Kong, but they only carry the K-X... Olympus and Sony are more popular. Fujifilm... probably a bit.

07-03-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the only issue relating to focal length and flash is if the flash has a zoom function to change the angle of coverage as focal length changes.

This would only ever be an issue if the lens was reporting to be significantly longer than it was, then you might see vignetting of the flash at the corners due to poor coverage.

Most errors I have seen with flash happen because of the conversion of ASP-C and full frame. the flash usually gets it right at least it covers the frame., but I am never sure what the focallength it reports actually means.
I got the Metz 48 I believe it has zoom function though ;(. Not sure how it reads though...