Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #211
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I was taking some portraits of the cast and crew for the school play today and somehow I got included in the mix. Love the DA* 15~50 for this sort of thing. I was thinking Iíve posted hundreds of shots on this forum of birds and things but nothing of myself. Iíve been growing a moustache for Movember Ė a campaign to raise funds for Prostate Cancer research. Ever the over achiever I tossed in the rest of the beard for nothing. Donít blame the lens for the subject matter.

Tom G
Much too similar to my avatar, Tom, much too similar. Why is it that the most intelligent people are "greybeards".

11-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Much too similar to my avatar, Tom, much too similar. Why is it that the most intelligent people are "greybeards".
I had a feeling you might reply Albert.

No clue about the greybeard comment but I'd like to think it had some truth in it.

Actually, that beard of yours is pretty cool. I just can't bring myself to wear a hat though.

Tom G
11-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a feeling you might reply Albert.

No clue about the greybeard comment but I'd like to think it had some truth in it.

Actually, that beard of yours is pretty cool. I just can't bring myself to wear a hat though.

Tom G
You are a traitor to all Canadians, Tom - FYI that is a Tilley 2!
11-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter

I was taking some portraits of the cast and crew for the school play today and somehow I got included in the mix. Love the DA* 16~50 for this sort of thing. I was thinking Iíve posted hundreds of shots on this forum of birds and things but nothing of myself. Iíve been growing a moustache for Movember Ė a campaign to raise funds for Prostate Cancer research. Ever the over achiever I tossed in the rest of the beard for nothing. Donít blame the lens for the subject matter.

Tom G
Nice one, Tom. It's a good example of what I like about the lens - sharp, clear and lots of detail (can you tell I'm not a professional lens reviewer?). My wife is not too sure though. She reckons it emphasizes any wrinkles

Richard.

11-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Nice one, Tom. It's a good example of what I like about the lens - sharp, clear and lots of detail (can you tell I'm not a professional lens reviewer?). My wife is not too sure though. She reckons it emphasizes any wrinkles

Richard.
Thanks Rick,

Actually, I kind of like the wrinkles. It took the better part of sixty years and thirty stitches from various hockey sticks and pucks to get those wrinkles in my mug. You can tell I’m Canadian eh? As for the lens I couldn’t be more pleased. It’s not a bad thing when the complaint about your lens is “its too sharp.” Seriously, the results I get from this lens are invariably good.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 11-25-2010 at 04:06 AM. Reason: typo
11-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #216

Photos: Albums
11-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #217
Veteran Member

WOW (!!!)
is that thing real? how did you manage to get so close to it?

btw what are you'r impression of the lens? the first shot seems a bit ruined by the flare (but still great)

Last edited by dankoBanana; 11-25-2010 at 07:05 AM.
11-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
WOW (!!!)
is that thing real? how did you manage to get so close to it?

btw what are you'r impression of the lens? the first shot seems a bit ruined by the flare (but still great)
It's a Wandering Albatross, the largest flying bird on the planet. Like the other birds on the island, they are not afraid of humans as they have so little contact with them and you can go and sit right next to it and even touch it if you keep low and walk up to it very slowly.

I haven't had the lens very long, but what I've seen of it, I really like. The sharpness is much, much better than the kit lens and also my 55-300. I love the colours and the quiet AF as well.

I took some closeups of the bird at F2.8, trying to focus on the head (AF-S), but they all came out back-focused. Not sure if it's the lens or the camera (K-x) or if I just missed the focus. There is more detail on the feathers on the back of the bird so it's possible that I just missed the focus.

11-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
...Why is it that the most intelligent people are "greybeards".
Guess I'm about halfway there
11-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
8540Tomg: Grizzly Adams
I was taking some portraits of the cast and crew for the school play today and somehow I got included in the mix. Love the DA* 16~50 for this sort of thing. I was thinking Iíve posted hundreds of shots on this forum of birds and things but nothing of myself. Iíve been growing a moustache for Movember Ė a campaign to raise funds for Prostate Cancer research. Ever the over achiever I tossed in the rest of the beard for nothing. Donít blame the lens for the subject matter.
Great shot Tom--have you got the EXIF for this shot? Tx.

Ernest
11-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
It's a Wandering Albatross, the largest flying bird on the planet. Like the other birds on the island, they are not afraid of humans as they have so little contact with them and you can go and sit right next to it and even touch it if you keep low and walk up to it very slowly.

I haven't had the lens very long, but what I've seen of it, I really like. The sharpness is much, much better than the kit lens and also my 55-300. I love the colours and the quiet AF as well.

I took some closeups of the bird at F2.8, trying to focus on the head (AF-S), but they all came out back-focused. Not sure if it's the lens or the camera (K-x) or if I just missed the focus. There is more detail on the feathers on the back of the bird so it's possible that I just missed the focus.
Hi Kari,

terrific shots of that albatros. Which island? You've probably mentioned it before, but I don't think I've seen anything of yours before. From the habitation and general look of the place, I'm guessing it's a cold place. South Atlantic?

About focusing on birds: this is what works for me. Centre spot focus. Focus on the eye. Here's an example from my DA* 50-135 on my K200D.

I just focused on the eye and clicked. This is 25% of the original shot, which explains why the eye is not dead centre.

Here's another one. This time from the DA 55-300.

Focusing on the eye just seems to work. There's probably a rule about it

Richard.
11-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #222
Veteran Member

@ Kari, very very nice photos.
11-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Great shot Tom--have you got the EXIF for this shot? Tx.

Ernest
I'd be happy to.

I'm not quite sure how to display the EXIF. so I just cut and pasted this from Flicker.

Photo / Exif

What is Exif data?
Exif data is a record of the settings a camera used to take a photo or video. This information is embedded into the files the camera saves, and we read and display it here.

Hiding this information
You can prevent other people from seeing the Exif data for your photos by changing your EXIF privacy settings.
Dates
Taken on November 25, 2010 at 4.19am PST (edit)
Posted to Flickr November 24, 2010 at 1.34PM PST (edit)

Exif data
Camera Pentax K10D
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/4.5
Focal Length 31.2 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Fired
X-Resolution 72 dpi
Y-Resolution 72 dpi
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
Software Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 (20060914.r.77) Windows
Date and Time (Modified) 2010:11:24 16:12:58
YCbCr Positioning Co-sited
Exposure Program Unknown (0)
Date and Time (Original) 2010:11:25 04:19:28-05:00
Date and Time (Digitized) 2010:11:25 04:19:28
Metering Mode Center-weighted average
Color Space sRGB
Sensing Method One-chip color area
Custom Rendered Custom
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Manual
Focal Length In35mm Format 46 mm
Scene Capture Type Standard
Contrast High
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Hard
Subject Distance Range Close
Compression JPEG (old-style)
Global Angle 30
Global Altitude 30
Copyright Flag False
Photoshop Quality 10
Photoshop Format Standard
Progressive Scans 3 Scans
XMPToolkit 3.1.2-114
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
Creator Tool Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 (20060914.r.77) Windows
Metadata Date 2010:11:24 16:12:58-05:00
Format image/jpeg
Color Mode 3
ICCProfile Name sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Viewing Conditions Illuminant Type D50
Measurement Observer CIE 1931
Measurement Flare 0.999%
Measurement Illuminant D65
Color Transform YCbCr
Flash Return No return detection
Flash Mode On
Flash Function False
Flash Red Eye Mode False

Last edited by 8540tomg; 11-26-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typo
11-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #224
Veteran Member

Great shots Kari, really shows the versatility of the lens. Can't wait until I get mine back from repair, she's missed.
11-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #225

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Hi Kari,

terrific shots of that albatros. Which island? You've probably mentioned it before, but I don't think I've seen anything of yours before. From the habitation and general look of the place, I'm guessing it's a cold place. South Atlantic?

About focusing on birds: this is what works for me. Centre spot focus. Focus on the eye. Here's an example from my DA* 50-135 on my K200D.

I just focused on the eye and clicked. This is 25% of the original shot, which explains why the eye is not dead centre.

Focusing on the eye just seems to work. There's probably a rule about it

Richard.
Thanks, Richard. It's an island in the Southern Indian Ocean called Marion Island and belongs to South Africa. It's quite cold, about that you're right.

I printed out some focus test sheets and the focus seems spot on so I think I just missed the bird's eye. I find it quite hard to see what is in focus with the K-x viewfinder, the DOF always looks larger than it turns out to be.

Edit: Anyone got tips on getting rid of the posterizing in the skies in the second shot? It was shot as ISO 400, I don't think it should be this noisy.

Last edited by kari; 11-26-2010 at 01:11 PM.