Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #256
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
Unfortunately I could only shoot on 6MP JPEG as I was running out of space fast.
I bet! What, you couldn't just run to the camera shop and buy another memory card? Great shots Kari!

12-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #257
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
K-7. 16-50/2.8 at F:16. 16mm
Ooh, ooh, ooh! Well done! (After seeing these shots - so many of them, I might add, I've got another lens to lust after.)
12-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #258
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you. As Banana said, it's simply about being there. To be honest, I wasn't perfectly happy with this photo, probably had to do with the time of day (around 10 AM) that it was taken. The light was too harsh and the colours seemed a bit washed-out and the background a touch hazy. I tried to make it better in PP, but still not totally happy. Unfortunately I could only shoot on 6MP JPEG as I was running out of space fast.
You're too hard on yourself. The photo is amazing; fantastic composition. Where was it taken?

p.s. When I went to Tanzania, I shot RAW using two 2-Gig cards, and when one filled the other went in, and the full card was immediately plugged into this and images off-loaded: HyperDrive SPACE
The SPACE is a no, frills, no preview portable HD device, and thus lasts a really long time on one charge (100 Gigs of transfer). They also have devices you can view the in-color images on (when they're JPEG) if you'd like however. Anyway, I highly recommend something like that when one travels so you never find yourself in the position you described.
12-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #259

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
You're too hard on yourself. The photo is amazing; fantastic composition. Where was it taken?

p.s. When I went to Tanzania, I shot RAW using two 2-Gig cards, and when one filled the other went in, and the full card was immediately plugged into this and images off-loaded: HyperDrive SPACE
The SPACE is a no, frills, no preview portable HD device, and thus lasts a really long time on one charge (100 Gigs of transfer). They also have devices you can view the in-color images on (when they're JPEG) if you'd like however. Anyway, I highly recommend something like that when one travels so you never find yourself in the position you described.
I'm on Marion Island (46.87S, 37.85E) for a year. That place, called the Amphitheatre, is right on the other side of the island and it's at least 2 days of hiking through lava flows and mires to get there. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'd be better served with just a larger memory card as there will be no power for the harddrive (and is more bulky in your backpack). I have 2 4GB cards (Verbatim, Class 6), but the one keeps giving writing errors and saying the card is corrupted.

12-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #260
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm on Marion Island (46.87S, 37.85E) for a year. That place, called the Amphitheatre, is right on the other side of the island and it's at least 2 days of hiking through lava flows and mires to get there. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'd be better served with just a larger memory card as there will be no power for the harddrive (and is more bulky in your backpack). I have 2 4GB cards (Verbatim, Class 6), but the one keeps giving writing errors and saying the card is corrupted.
Hi Kari,

that is an absolutely stunning shot. Wow!

Not much you can do about the card problem other than a care package from home. I would suggest multiple small (4GB, 8GB) cards rather than one big card - you don't lose as much when/if things go pear-shaped. There may be some way to recover the card that's giving problems. There may already be some advice on the forums. You could post a question in one of the technical areas.

Wikipedia says that strong winds blow almost every day on Marion Island. How's the windsurfing?

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 12-19-2010 at 12:19 AM.
12-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #261

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Some great shots in this thread, I can't wait to get my own.

I had a 16-50 in my possession yesterday for a few hours. Unfortunately it turned out to have severe back focusing so back it goes to Adorama I've asked for a replacement copy, hopefully the next one will be a good one.
How annoying... what did that cost you on shipping?

Nick
12-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is quite odd to me that John Flores started two threads at the same time, one for the 16-50 and the other for the 50-135. The 50-135 is a universally accoladed lens, while the 16-50 tends to receive a lot more criticism, yet the DA *16-50 thread is three times longer. What does this say about the comparative usefulness of these two lenses?
For me, I have a lot of really nice shots with my 50-135 that are head and shoulder shots of family and friends. These are not shots I like to share really on the internet
12-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #263
Veteran Member

my baby is coming on Monday ... hopefully I'll have something to post here soon

btw, do you guys use CPLs on this lens? If yes, for what? And which one would you recommend?

12-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote

btw, do you guys use CPLs on this lens? If yes, for what? And which one would you recommend?
Uses for polarizers include:
  • Pumping up the sky - but watch out for uneven blues across the image at very wide settings
  • Removing glare from foliage after showers. The showers will remove the dust, and some very nice pictures can result.
  • Looking through water surface reflections, such as photographing koi in a pond.
  • Allowing longer shutter speeds. My polarizer gives about 2 stops slower.
  • Removing glare from people's specacles in group shots.
As to which one to recommend, personally I use Moose Peterson's filter, which is a polarizer with an 81a colour correction in it. Polarizers can often give a "cold" result compared to pictures taken without it. With the Moose filter, I have fewer overly "cold" polarized images.

Buy the absolutely best polarizer that you can almost afford. Every piece of glass you put in front of your sensor has an effect on the image. Poorly coated filters can degrade an image. You should always get the thinnest polarizer that you can afford if you are using a very wide lens to allow you an extra mm or two of field of view before you have to correct vignetting. This does not apply solely to polarizers, of course.
12-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #265
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote

I use a Marumi DHG Super Circular PL.D. The shot in #232 in this thread and the first one in #237 used the CPL. The second one in #237 didn't.

Apart from cutting reflected glare from water, I use it to reduce blown-out reflections/glare on e.g. car bodies.

As Canada Rockies says, buy the very best you can afford. Bear in mind that this lens uses a 77mm filter which is not cheap.

Before I bought mine (from an eBay shop in HK), I did some research on brands and models. I have an engineering degree, so I guess I can be a bit of a geek There's some terrific information on polarising filters here Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

It's Monday evening here. Good luck with your new baby.

Richard.
12-20-2010, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #266

12-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #267
Veteran Member

so, I joined the DA* club very happy with the lens so far, unhappy with the K20D indoor AF

here are some snapshots from yesterdays climbing competition I competed in .. nothing too artistic or great, but I had to post some images
Attached Images

12-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #268
m8o
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'd be better served with just a larger memory card as there will be no power for the harddrive (and is more bulky in your backpack).
I can understand wanting to go with just more or larger cards and many do, and that's fine (even if the far more expensive option per Gig of storage). But just to correct or clarify, I don't think you understand just how small and light that thing is ; and one charge lasts years if you use it infrequently, or 100 Gigs of transfers when using it ( i.e. permits the offloading of a full 2 Gig card 50 times on one charge).

Amazing how close that bird let you get to it. The subtle detail of the tones of white and gray really makes the photo for me.
12-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #269

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I can understand wanting to go with just more or larger cards and many do, and that's fine (even if the far more expensive option per Gig of storage). But just to correct or clarify, I don't think you understand just how small and light that thing is ; and one charge lasts years if you use it infrequently, or 100 Gigs of transfers when using it ( i.e. permits the offloading of a full 2 Gig card 50 times on one charge).

Amazing how close that bird let you get to it. The subtle detail of the tones of white and gray really makes the photo for me.

Oh, I did not realise it was that useful. Especially if you shoot lots of video, I imagine.

Yes, as long as you move slowly and keep low the birds here are extremely at ease when you come near them, if they don't have chicks. The amazing thing about those Grayheaded Albatross is that they can look like paintings when you photograph them, their colours and the smoothness or their feathers are so unreal. In fact, it's easy to think that you haven't got the bird in focus, because they are so soft.

On another note, has anyone here experienced SDM-snobbishness? I hate taking this lens off my camera and going back to the noisy screw-drive of my other lenses... it just feels so cheap and dirty, ugh.
12-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #270
Loyal Site Supporter

On another note, has anyone here experienced SDM-snobbishness? I hate taking this lens off my camera and going back to the noisy screw-drive of my other lenses... it just feels so cheap and dirty, ugh.
I know how you feel. I felt that way too until ... uh, sorry, wrong forum

Actually, I do know how you feel. After I got my DA* 50-135 I had to get a DA* 16-50 as soon as I could and then I didn't use my FA 50 1.4 for months. Then I wanted some narrow DoF shots and used it again. I bought a DA 55-300 to get some extra distance and I started walking around the neighbourhood using it for bird shots. As soon as I bought a K5, my DA* 15-50 was the first lens I used. But I have been using my FA 50 1.4 on the K5 because it's so small and unobtrusive and easy to carry on a brisk walk. It does get good shots too.

Richard.