Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kevin that sounds like a blast.

Are you sure you wouldn't want a little telephoto for those across-the-street type candids? An M 135 3.5 is tiny, and can be had for around $40.

Aside from that, your planned kit is as good as any other, IMO.

06-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah, I wouldn't know what to do with it, really. Besides, when you see a candid across the street, that moment is long gone by the time you would have changed lenses.

EDIT: I realise now I maybe should not have taken that as litterally as I did. In any case, I'll be looking to do some more proper series besides the usual travel shots, so 'getting' the shots when they happen isn't as important to me. I'd love to do a series about taxi drivers, for one. I've got a lot of ideas

Last edited by kevinschoenmakers; 06-29-2010 at 01:47 PM.
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edmund Quote
Wish I had purchased my K-7 before my trip to North Korea last year and taken along some primes. I only had a point and shoot, but still took some decent pictures. The guides there will tell you the limits on taking photos. Here is a link to my DPRK Flickr set (I hope it is OK to post this link; if not, I will remove it):
North Korea: DPRK 2009 - a set on Flickr
Sweet. Reminds me of the ViceTV special on the DPRK - love how in your entire flickr stream there are exactly two photos with people, and only one of car on the otherwise empty streets. Amazing how you got those out of the country!
06-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sweet. Reminds me of the ViceTV special on the DPRK - love how in your entire flickr stream there are exactly two photos with people, and only one of car on the otherwise empty streets. Amazing how you got those out of the country!
Photography in North Korea isn't difficult. Your guides tell you when it's okay to take photos, and then you can snap away freely.

06-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I have a lot more pictures that I did not post. In general, the streets did not have many cars. The NK guides did not want you taking pictures out the bus window, nor of people on the street. I would love to go back with a better camera.
06-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
In less than 2 weeks I'm off to the airport, and I won't return in at least a year. I'm going to the Philippines for a month, after that a month of Central China and then I'm in Beijing (Peking) for two semesters of study. During that I'll probably make trips to I-don't-yet-know-where, but North and South Korea are likely candidates. Also, when the semester has ended I don't think I'm going home straight away, but I'm not sure yet what I'll do (catch a train to central asia... go to singapore over land... hmm, dreaming is fun). I figured I would be interested to see what someone would take on a long trip, so here are the lenses I'll be taking with me:

K10D

DA18-55WR
DA15 f4 ltd
A28 f2.8
DA35 f2.8 Ltd
A50 f1.7

As you can see I'm a prime guy. I bought the DA18-55 for the WR. When I'm in the Philippines it's the rainy season, so I figured I'd best make the most of my K10D's seals. The primes cover the range I take photo's at, from wide-angle to portrait. I don't need anything longer than 50mm.

I'm sure the pictures will end up on these boards somewhere, sometime

I'd second dropping the A 28 but I noticed that it's your favourite focal length... maybe drop the 35 and get 100 DFA WR? I still think one shouldn't go on a trip without telephoto; the 100 would cover macro, telephoto, and portrait. When I went to Vietnam I had the 10-20+DA40 with two bodies, and DA WR 18-55 for rainy days, just like your kit. I actually didnt bring my 50-200; dont want to change lenses too many times since I'm travelling together with my girlfriend. Dont want to make the lady angry But if I'm travelling alone, it would be in my bag for sure.
06-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #22
Forum Member

You need a telephoto of some kind

I know it has been said before but really consider some form of telephoto. My telephotography was really opened up when I bought the DA 18-250. It is a remarkable travel lens and one you should consider using when you in guided groups and don't have that much time to change lenses. Of course if you are feeling adventurous the 50-200WR is a great travel lens or 55-300 too. But the 18-250 will open up your eye to all sorts of things because you won't be bumping up against the 50mm limit all the time. There is a tamron version which is pretty much equivalent and now they make the 18-270 which is just as good.

Other than that, I would drop the A28 2.8 because it is pretty much redundant to the DA35.
06-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate the concern, but I really don't think I'll be needing anything beyond 50mm. For one, I won't be in guided groups. Also, I have the DA50-200 but I hardly ever need or miss it. It's just not my cup of tea.

Oh, and the A28mm is definitely staying. It would frankly be the last lens I'd leave home. I'm quite fond of it.

06-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #24
Inactive Account

K10Ds don't break
I'll second that! Lost my K20D with 16-50/2,8 from 2 meters. The camera took the fall, got a somewhat bad cosmetic mark, but survived nonetheless. The 16-50 on the other hand won't go below 35mm now. So I currently have the very rare 35-50/2.8 zoom lens from Pentax. Wonder how much it'll go for on eBay
07-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K10Ds don't break
They do, you just have to shoot it, throw it from a skyscraper or run it over with a truck.
10-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just saw this thread again, it might be fun to follow up on it.

The DA15, which I had bought just before I left, I ended up using and loving lots and lots. All of the other lenses I did not use much if at all. I bought a K-5 and DA70 while I was in Beijing, and that kit (K-5, DA15 and DA70) was all I mostly took with me. It's very capable, small and unintimidating. I can recommend this set-up to anyone's who plans on going travelling or is into street photography. The results of a year with this kit can be seen on my website (link in signature). Virtually all of it was shot with these two lenses. Some sets were still K10D, but most is K-5.

It was a great year
10-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Have fun on that trip.
10-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #28
Pentaxian

in looking at the list, the only comment I can make is that personally, i think the kit is perhaps too limited to cities and landscapes. If I were going on a 1 year trip, I wouild also include some opportunities to get wild life, and have at least some way of getting to 300/400mm in my bag.

Maybe that is just a question of personal tastes however.
10-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Have fun on that trip.
I think you're a bit late