Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My 1-Year Trip and the Lenses I'm Taking

In less than 2 weeks I'm off to the airport, and I won't return in at least a year. I'm going to the Philippines for a month, after that a month of Central China and then I'm in Beijing (Peking) for two semesters of study. During that I'll probably make trips to I-don't-yet-know-where, but North and South Korea are likely candidates. Also, when the semester has ended I don't think I'm going home straight away, but I'm not sure yet what I'll do (catch a train to central asia... go to singapore over land... hmm, dreaming is fun). I figured I would be interested to see what someone would take on a long trip, so here are the lenses I'll be taking with me:

K10D

DA18-55WR
DA15 f4 ltd
A28 f2.8
DA35 f2.8 Ltd
A50 f1.7

As you can see I'm a prime guy. I bought the DA18-55 for the WR. When I'm in the Philippines it's the rainy season, so I figured I'd best make the most of my K10D's seals. The primes cover the range I take photo's at, from wide-angle to portrait. I don't need anything longer than 50mm.

I'm sure the pictures will end up on these boards somewhere, sometime

06-29-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Interesting set-up. I'm currently working, saving up some money for my 1-year trip, so it's interesting to see what others choose. My set-up will probably be:
K20D/K-7
DA15/4
FA31/1.8
FA77/1.8

As you can see I am also a prime guy. More specifically a Limited-prime guy

Will you be writing a blog or something when abroad?
And by the way, where in the Netherlands are you from? I'm travelling to Amsterdam/Rotterdam in a month
06-29-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have a great journey, stay well and never stop dreaming.

Set up seems nice, not to heavy. You don't need it, but I wouldn't go without a tele of some sorts, I guess my smc A 200/4, not heavy either.
06-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
Interesting set-up. I'm currently working, saving up some money for my 1-year trip, so it's interesting to see what others choose. My set-up will probably be:
K20D/K-7
DA15/4
FA31/1.8
FA77/1.8

As you can see I am also a prime guy. More specifically a Limited-prime guy

Will you be writing a blog or something when abroad?
And by the way, where in the Netherlands are you from? I'm travelling to Amsterdam/Rotterdam in a month
I'm not into blogs, so no I won't be. I'll be updating my website with photos, that's as far as I'll go

I'm from a town close to Rotterdam (Schiedam). But I won't be there next month

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
Have a great journey, stay well and never stop dreaming.

Set up seems nice, not to heavy. You don't need it, but I wouldn't go without a tele of some sorts, I guess my smc A 200/4, not heavy either.
I have a DA50-200 but I hardly ever use it. I don't really go beyond portraits.

06-29-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I'm not into blogs, so no I won't be. I'll be updating my website with photos, that's as far as I'll go

I'm from a town close to Rotterdam (Schiedam). But I won't be there next month

I have a DA50-200 but I hardly ever use it. I don't really go beyond portraits.
If I was you I'd drop the A 28 and take the zoom for only marginally more weight/size.

When travelling, a zoom always comes in handy, especially in foreign countries where you are sometimes not sure of the etiquette of getting too close to something or someone.

Trips like these, you never want to miss that shot. And you're DA 35 and the 28 are close enough in FOV anyway. I'd keep the 35 on most of the time.
06-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd sooner leave the DA35 than the A28, actually. I love 28mm as a focal length, but 35mm not so much. I wish I could melt these two lenses together A 28mm lens with the IQ of the DA35. Please, Pentax?

Also, I've been to China before, they're not too fussy about photos.
06-29-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Also, I've been to China before, they're not too fussy about photos.
If you are brave enough to take photos in North Korea then you are a better man than I, Gunga Din.
06-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

A better challenge would be just to take your body, and the 35mm lens, that should be plenty good enough for a lifetime of photos.

06-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Never bring what you won't use anyway, so no da 50-200 for you. If it isn't your thing, just let it sit at home.
I have a pentax-please too: da 135: please pentax please .... this would be my preferred k7 color, or k7-x if it will be. It would also be my favourite color for a 645Dxs ( I am rather smallish). Didn't I say never stop dreaming?
No large trip for me ahead. I am stuck with 3 "we do not want to go there and we do not want to do that" sons this summer.
I think my text changed from grey to black. Must be my emotion thinking about missed out travel.
But I do love my sons and I do love my da21, otherwise, fl in between 24 - 35 is/are not my favourite. Travel light, travel happy.
06-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
Forum Member

Wish I had purchased my K-7 before my trip to North Korea last year and taken along some primes. I only had a point and shoot, but still took some decent pictures. The guides there will tell you the limits on taking photos. Here is a link to my DPRK Flickr set (I hope it is OK to post this link; if not, I will remove it):
North Korea: DPRK 2009 - a set on Flickr

Just returned from Beijing last week; been there many times and so I hope you enjoy your travel experience and living there. I took a Pentax 15mm f/4 prime and a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 Macro OS HSM. I started the week with the Sigma mounted and the 15mm in the backpack; mid-week the 15mm was mounted and the Sigma in the backpack; end of the week, the 15mm was still mounted and the Sigma was back in the hotel room. You will enjoy the lightweight primes.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4745311251_e79467302c_b.jpg
06-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aah, you got to see Arirang. I might go back in September for just that reason
06-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
Forum Member

Yes, you really should see the Arirang Show; it is worth it.
06-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Zav
Pentaxian

What are you going to study in BJ?
I may go there in september.
06-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In less than 2 weeks I'm off to the airport, and I won't return in at least a year. I'm going to the Philippines for a month, after that a month of Central China and then I'm in Beijing (Peking) for two semesters of study. During that I'll probably make trips to I-don't-yet-know-where, but North and South Korea are likely candidates. Also, when the semester has ended I don't think I'm going home straight away, but I'm not sure yet what I'll do (catch a train to central asia... go to singapore over land... hmm, dreaming is fun). I figured I would be interested to see what someone would take on a long trip, so here are the lenses I'll be taking with me:

K10D

DA18-55WR
DA15 f4 ltd
A28 f2.8
DA35 f2.8 Ltd
A50 f1.7

As you can see I'm a prime guy. I bought the DA18-55 for the WR. When I'm in the Philippines it's the rainy season, so I figured I'd best make the most of my K10D's seals. The primes cover the range I take photo's at, from wide-angle to portrait. I don't need anything longer than 50mm.

I'm sure the pictures will end up on these boards somewhere, sometime
Envy much! That's something I always dream of doing. Have you thought about a backup body, even just a p&s? It would be frustrating with all the lenses and no camera to put them on.
06-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
What are you going to study in BJ?
I may go there in september.
Chinese

QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
Envy much! That's something I always dream of doing. Have you thought about a backup body, even just a p&s? It would be frustrating with all the lenses and no camera to put them on.
K10Ds don't break