Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2006, 05:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
SMC M 50mm F/2 ???

I have recently purchased this lens on ebay, was hoping to pick up a 1.4 or 1.7 but if they do come up the price goes over my budget.
Anyway, picked up the f2 for Aus$26 and consider myself lucky as I pipped someone with a second or two to go.

My question is does anyone have any examples of pics with this lens, I have seen plenty of examples of the A version and m versions of 1.4 & 1.7 but can't find any examples of the M F2.

Will it produce images similar to the A version and its faster siblings?

Thanks

Kirk

11-29-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Images from the different 50mm lenses should all look similar.

The A and M versions of the lenses are optically identical; the only difference being that A has auto aperture. Normally, though, M lenses are easier to hold since they're made of metal (not plastic).

I'll get you some samples later today. (Due to my severe LBA, I have the M and A versions of the F 1.4, 1.7, and 2 50mm's.)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #3

Not trying to jack your thread, but what about the 1.2? I'm seeing a bunch of those on ebay too. How will the 1.2 be for indoor shooting compared to the 1.4, 1.7, or the 2?
11-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Mo.
I have only seen a 50mm 1.2 once on ebay, didn't know it even existed, it went for over $300 AUS so it would want to be pretty good I think.

11-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Make sure you are seeing the 1.2 and not the 1:2 - some people when selling don't know the difference. Hopefully they include a picture of the front of the lens or the aperature ring. if you see 1:2, that is the f/2 version. You want to see 1:1.2.
11-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I have recently purchased this lens on ebay, was hoping to pick up a 1.4 or 1.7 but if they do come up the price goes over my budget.
Anyway, picked up the f2 for Aus$26 and consider myself lucky as I pipped someone with a second or two to go.

My question is does anyone have any examples of pics with this lens, I have seen plenty of examples of the A version and m versions of 1.4 & 1.7 but can't find any examples of the M F2.

Thanks

Kirk
I'l let Mo post some samples - but I reckon the 50/2 is a lovely lens and I've had good use from mine; it's also unfashionable for those who think they must have a 1.4 or 1.7 and thus can be picked up for a song. Enjoy this fine lens.
11-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
Make sure you are seeing the 1.2 and not the 1:2 - some people when selling don't know the difference. Hopefully they include a picture of the front of the lens or the aperature ring. if you see 1:2, that is the f/2 version. You want to see 1:1.2.
WoW, thanks for throwing that out there. I know most are posting 1.2 in the description, now have to look close at he pics.

Falcons, the ones I've been seeing on ebay are mostly manual lens.

11-30-2006, 02:49 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
The one I saw was a 1:1.2 I saw it on ebay about 2 days from auction end and bids were all ready over $300 Australian.

I had never seen a 50mm (can't remember if it was an M or A) 1:1.2 before so I assumed with the interest it was attracting it was pretty rare and produced excellent results.
12-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #9

I think Pentax made an M42 screw mount 50mm 1:1.2. I have never seen a 1:1.2 bayonet lens.
12-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by Pants Quote
I think Pentax made an M42 screw mount 50mm 1:1.2. I have never seen a 1:1.2 bayonet lens.
It's the other way around, Pants. Pentax made two 50/1.2 bayonet lenses, the SMC and SMC-A. There were also some limited edition 1.2's: LX variations

There was an M42 f1.2/55mm lens made by Yashica.
12-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
It's the other way around, Pants. Pentax made two 50/1.2 bayonet lenses, the SMC and SMC-A. There were also some limited edition 1.2's: LX variations

There was an M42 f1.2/55mm lens made by Yashica.
Thanks for the clarification - I just found a mention of the Pentax SMC 1:1.2 in my KX manual. That Yashica is probably the lens I was thinking of.
12-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One from mine...

I just took this photo with my A 2/50.

First time I've used the lens (It came with a bunch of lenses I got off eBay for $17.00). I figure it cost next to nothing and I was actually after some of the other lenses in the lot.

Just a shot from my aquarium. The lens seems decent enough. I might end up keeping it.

Oh- that's not noise or sensor dust- just algae.
12-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote

Thanks

Kirk
Hi Kirk,

I've got the M 50 f/2.0 but to be honest, I haven't used it on a digital body yet and I couldn't really offer up any comparisons with the other 50's as the M is my only 50mm. On film, I like this lens though, and used it a fair bit with my MZ-S.

If you're interested, I don't mind taking it out for a spin tomorrow after work and I can post a couple of samples at that time. However, not having anything to compare it with (except the 43mm), I don't know if it will help you out at all.

Let me know though.
12-05-2006, 02:21 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Of all the bayonet 50mm lenses made by Pentax the f/2 versions are generally considered as the cheap and "bad" ones. Most reports tell us about soft pictures unless not stopped down to at least f/4. Some say their 50/2 is good but I suspect they just compare it to the kit lens.
I have, or have had, the f/1.7, the f/1.4 and the f/1.2 versions which all are very good. When compared (at the same aperture opening, please) they are pretty much the same with regards to resolution but increasingly better when it comes to bokeh. You get what you pay for and it isn't surprising that the f/2 version comes cheap.
I can highly recommend the f/1.7 version if you are on a tight budget and have time and interest in finding one. But an better option is to buy a new FA50/1.4 and stay happy.

regards,
12-05-2006, 04:13 AM   #15

i have the M 50/2 too.

i bought it because of the comperatively very low price here in Bg.

it's a bit soft at wide open, but it has very nice bokeh and when you stop it down a little (4-5.6), the results are rather sharp and pleasing.

a nice lens, altough there is not a good reason (except price) not to get the 50/1.7 and the 50/1.4 instead.