Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Limitedlenses focusnoise vs 16-45mm

I really got used to the silent auto-focus of the 16-50 now, but I'm starting the process of convertion to limitedlenses now and I'm wondering what to expect. Is the auto-focus noise as bad on the limitedlenses as on the DA 16-45/4?

06-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax FA limiteds, or DA limiteds ?

The focusing noise isn't bad at all on the DA limiteds, as there is very little throw. I suppose the only exception would be the 35mm macro, but that's a no-brainer. Compared to regular FA or DA lenses, or even FA*'s, the limiteds are definitely quieter.

They're still not as quiet as the SDM in the 16-50mm, but the screwmount AF is faster

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I have the 15 and 35 Ltds and my first reaction was, "What noise?" I suppose if you're in a very quiet place you might hear a little whir but I doubt many would notice it. I think it has to do with the excellent build quality of the Ltd series of lenses. I also have the 16-50 and when I focus I hear a little whir with it as well.
06-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm used to Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and in practice I hardly notice it. Frankly, I have more pressing concerns than a little noise coming from my lens.I actually prefer it, my models in the studio sometimes hear it and it gives them a cue that i'm expecting them to be ready for the next shot. besides,I like a bit of feedback from my camera that it is doing it's job.

06-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm used to Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and in practice I hardly notice it. Frankly, I have more pressing concerns than a little noise coming from my lens.I actually prefer it, my models in the studio sometimes hear it and it gives them a cue that i'm expecting them to be ready for the next shot. besides,I like a bit of feedback from my camera that it is doing it's job.
And you are talking about the FA Limiteds... The DA Limiteds use SDM, so there's hardly any noise at all on them. But the 16-45 were a little too noisy for my taste.
06-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
And you are talking about the FA Limiteds... The DA Limiteds use SDM, so there's hardly any noise at all on them. But the 16-45 were a little too noisy for my taste.
yes I am talking about the FA limiteds, the DA limited lenses don't use SDM and they do make noise,slight but is is there nonetheless. the SMCP16-45mm f/4 ED AL is pretty standard in regards to noise as far as pentax lenses are concerned.

the noise from pentax screw driven AF lenses is a rather trivial concern from my perspective.
06-30-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't really understand what wtlwdwgn said. Cause my 16-50 was night and day compared to 16-45. 16-45 was NOISY, but 16-50 I have problem with hearing under normal conditions.
I mean, listen to these 2:
06-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

oh sure you can compare them but do you think AF noise made any difference in the making of this image?

it didn't make any difference in the slightest and that image was taken with the SMCP16-45mm f/4. Measurebate all you want, it doesn't change the fact that in real-world usage AF noise is largely a non issue.

06-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I mean, listen to these 2
You can't compare sound levels with different recording equipment and different recording techniques in different environments. No one would argue the 16-50 isn't quieter, but trying to compare with these videos is beyond useless.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-30-2010 at 12:51 PM.
06-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The focus noise in a screw-drive system comes from the length of time the motor runs and hard it has to work - the mass of the glass it is moving. Also from the build quality of the lens itself. The DA Limiteds pretty much have short throws, low mass, and high build quality, so they are going to be much quieter than a largish consumer zoom like the 16-45.
06-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Focus noise is important in low-light photography in parties and such when you want nobody to notice that you are taking photos.

But mostly I'm just curious, I'm gonna buy 'em anyway!
06-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The FA43 is the only lens that stands out to me as being noticeably louder.
06-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Focus noise is important in low-light photography in parties and such when you want nobody to notice that you are taking photos.
Parties? More like funerals if the sound of a Limited focusing is going to turn heads.
06-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Parties? More like funerals if the sound of a Limited focusing is going to turn heads.
Hehe, yeah, not woo-parties! But my 16-45 turned heads, or at least made people aware of my presence, in family parties. I'm the kinda guy that likes to capture the moment when in these kind of happenings and therefore I prefer to go unnoticed most of the time to get natural photos.
07-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

" I'm the kinda guy that likes to capture the moment when in these kind of happenings and therefore I prefer to go unnoticed most of the time to get natural photos."

then use manual focus, that's what I do.