Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Unusual Carl Zeiss M42 Lens

I acquired this lens sometime ago from a flea market as part of a job lot and since then it has just sat in a box unused until i rediscovered it a few days ago.

It is Marked Carl Zeiss Jena Nr. 3172780 Tessar 1:3.5 f=10.5cm T (the T is marked in red)

I have seen similar lenses to this on ebay, forums etc before but this copy has and odd lens barrel type extension. At first I thought is was just a homemade / custom extension tube as it just seems to create space between the lens and the camera body. However the lens does not appear to exceed the minimum focal distance (1.5m) marked on the focus ring, unless this has also been custom made. The barrel extension appears to be just held in place by two screws but removing these did not disconnect it, though it may just have become stuck with age and I am reluctant to force it.

Can anyone shed any light as to whether this is a standard lens design or a custom job? If it is a custom job would anyone like to speculate as to what purpose it may serve?

Any help much appreciated

(sorry for the shoddy pics, took them quick by the window light)

Fitted to my lovely MZ-S bought from this forum, shown purely for size comparison .

06-29-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never seen/used this lens before but the barrel is almost certainly part of the original design. If you remove the barrel, it would not be a 105mm lens, not even close.
06-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your lens is almost 100% sure the standard lens from the postwar Primarflex, i.e. a Hasselblad-type camera. Do some googling and you'll find your lens mounted to a Primarflex

06-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thats what I thought originally but having seen what looks to be this lens without the extension piece I am unsure what to think.

A422) Tessar 3,5/10,5cm T Carl Zeiss Jena + Deckel ! on eBay (end time 26-Jul-10 18:17:42 BST)

Maybe it is a removable homemade adapter to change camera fitting. Having examined it more carefully now it looks as though the rear 'barrel extension' is less well made than the front portion, the edge of the barrel nearest the screw thread is slightly rougher.

06-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Your lens is almost 100% sure the standard lens from the postwar Primarflex, i.e. a Hasselblad-type camera. Do some googling and you'll find your lens mounted to a Primarflex
Cheers will do
06-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finchibabe Quote
Thats what I thought originally but having seen what looks to be this lens without the extension piece I am unsure what to think.

A422) Tessar 3,5/10,5cm T Carl Zeiss Jena + Deckel ! on eBay (end time 26-Jul-10 18:17:42 BST)

Maybe it is a removable homemade adapter to change camera fitting. Having examined it more carefully now it looks as though the rear 'barrel extension' is less well made than the front portion, the edge of the barrel nearest the screw thread is slightly rougher.
The lens you linked to is also intended for use on a small viewcamera, quite like the Primaflex, Asahiflex shows in his image. So the extension was added to make the lens suitable for the much smaller 35mm format and allow infinity focus.

Ben