Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SMC Takumar 85mm 1.8 Auto/Manual Switch Jammed

I just bought a beautiful SMC Takumar from ebay. At first the lens worked perfectly but now after roughly having it for about an hour the auto/manual switch has completely seized up. Is there anyway to unjam it?

Any help much appreciated.

06-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
kinda like this?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/69714-super-mu...mar-query.html
06-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you that worked perfectly.
I'm also having another slight problem. At the rear of the lens there is an part that sticks out that allows the aperture to close down ( not the pin). It's a small slider that moves across as you move the aperture. Unfortunately the adapter I have gets in the way. So should I just file down the slider or are there any special adapters that take this into account?

Thanks again
06-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Don't understand. On my 85 the only thing sticking out is the pin. Excuse the messy kitchen! What type of M42 adapter are you using?

06-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=200483173089&view=all&tid=0

Scroll down and you will see the slider.

Here's my adapter: CANON EOS EF to M42 LENS MOUNT ADAPTER, PRO QUALITY - eBay (item 380209963539 end time Jul-24-10 13:18:25 PDT)
06-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would kill for an original 85 hood.

JUST KIDDING!

But I really want one.
06-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I understand now. I used to have the 85 f1.8 and it had the same setup.

Unfortunately it worked without issue on my K20D with the pentax m42 adapter so I cannot be of any more help to you. In theory the slider should not come in contact with your adapter as it is within the m42 circle and from the looks of your adapter it is deeper than the std pentax one.

06-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Irishwiseguy Quote
Thank you that worked perfectly.
I'm also having another slight problem. At the rear of the lens there is an part that sticks out that allows the aperture to close down ( not the pin). It's a small slider that moves across as you move the aperture. Unfortunately the adapter I have gets in the way. So should I just file down the slider or are there any special adapters that take this into account?

Thanks again
As regards filing down the slider, you'll hurt any future resale value for what is an appreciating classic lens. You'd be better off getting a real camera to mount it on like a Pentax K7

06-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The slider you have there lets camera bodies like the Spotmatic F and Electro-Spotmatic/ES2 determine the aperture for wide-open metering. I think the only way to get rid of your interference problem might be to remove the slider entirely, or file it down...neither of which I'd personally have the guts to do.

Ask Eric Hendrickson if he might be able to non-destructively and reversably get it out of your way for you.

EDIT: Someone else suggested getting a K-7 to mount it on, and that's another good suggestion
06-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
As regards filing down the slider, you'll hurt any future resale value for what is an appreciating classic lens. You'd be better off getting a real camera to mount it on like a Pentax K7
Lol. I thought it was risky posting on a pentax forum considering I have a sacrilegious canon

I sorted the problem. I shaved the opening of the adapter with a drill and drill bit to make the opening bigger this allowed the slider to sit comfortably beside the opening. No problems now. Thanks guys.
06-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just bought a beautiful SMC Takumar from ebay. At first the lens worked perfectly but now after roughly having it for about an hour the auto/manual switch has completely seized up. Is there anyway to unjam it?

Any help much appreciated.
It seems that you have sorted out your issues with my lens, congratulations!

Oops, I meant to say my former lens

Yes, I am the seller of your lens and I hope you will take many great shots with it!

(And if I'm not asking too much I would love to receive some feedback on eBay )
06-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Lol. I thought it was risky posting on a pentax forum considering I have a sacrilegious canon

I sorted the problem. I shaved the opening of the adapter with a drill and drill bit to make the opening bigger this allowed the slider to sit comfortably beside the opening. No problems now. Thanks guys.
Could not help myself!
Which Canon do you have? There is a off brand area of the forum so feel more than welcome to stay around and post some shots.

Regards,
R
06-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Well, at least you used a lower case "c" for "canon."

But you can't ever again forget to use a cap "P" for "Pentax."

HAHHH!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ira; 06-29-2010 at 11:43 AM.