Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Bigma questions

I'm looking at getting a Bigma 50-500, or maybe a Sigma 100-300 f4. guess what, the dealer doesn't have either in Pentax mount and says he probably can't get the 100-300.

My concern with these (as with my old 80-320 FA) is that the AF is s..l..o..w and noisy. Since the 50-500 gets very long, is it prone to slipping if held at a steep angle? I know there's a lock ring, but I never use those in practice.

Anyone with experience of either of these on a K10D?

thanks!

08-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have one for the Canon mount. It has HSM but the Pentax version does not. So I cannot say how much slower it would be on a Pentax.

As for the other question...yes it will elongate if you put the lens in a downward position. The lock feature is there to easily and safely transport it. The lens is fairly heavy, and there is no way to prevent this and still be able to zoom in and out easily.

In the field, the lock position works great. Also, it is there to prevent the rear elements from crashing into any teleconverter that you mount along with it. So basically, the lock button does double duty.
08-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #3

Adorama used to have the bigma and 100-300 in stock for pentax but about a week ago I noticed that they had been replaced by the EX DG HSM versions in the pentax mount with a note says that these were new lenses that you could order - or something along those lines. I checked out the sigma website and they still say that there is no HSM for the pentax mount, but I'm wondering if versions with HSM are going to show up shortly now the the first SDM glass from pentax is shipping. This is pure speculation, but does anyone have a better idea of if/when sigma lenses will get HSM for pentax?
08-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have the 50/500 on my DS, Since June 05.
I can say that I haven't had any big issues with using it, I mostly use the lens when I'm out at a motoring racing track. I mostly use it in Manual focus mode and TV setting on the camera.

08-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #5

The Bigma is no noisier than any other.

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
I'm looking at getting a Bigma 50-500, or maybe a Sigma 100-300 f4. guess what, the dealer doesn't have either in Pentax mount and says he probably can't get the 100-300.

My concern with these (as with my old 80-320 FA) is that the AF is s..l..o..w and noisy. Since the 50-500 gets very long, is it prone to slipping if held at a steep angle? I know there's a lock ring, but I never use those in practice.

Anyone with experience of either of these on a K10D?

thanks!
Hi fast50, I have the Bigma for my K10D and do not have any concerns about the speed of focus, or noise... it is no noisier than many other lenses, have no problems with bird shots even relatively close up. Of course your focusing is fast relative to the amount of light if you want to go auto or constant. Highly recommended.

Slipping? I do not notice it, usually have a firm grip and do not let it dangle by the strap or grip. I have the Bush Hawk shoulder grip, great to use.

This shot of a Rainbow Lorikeet a few days ago, was within 8 metres.. did not worry him, although he had a close eye on me.

Phil

08-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try out the 50-500 when the dealer gets one in, but I don't reckon I'll be able to find a dealer who's willing to order a 100-300 speculatively.
08-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like my Bigma but you do need a lot of light if you want it to get on focus quickly. It'll hunt in low light....it takes pretty pictures though...