Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

making extension tube from TC

I've often heard about making an extension tube by removing the glass from an old teleconverter. I have one, the IQ is too poor to use for anything else. However, how to I remove the glass? Break it or unscrew it? It looks like the attachment mechanism is part of the mount for the glass. I'd like a little guidance before I start undoing the little screws. Thanks for any help.

06-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #2

i just broke the glass out of mine... screw driver and a hammer
06-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Don't break the glass! That will leave all sorts of fragments that will eventually end up in your camera.

This is only applicable to a single element TC AFAIK.

1. Drop it a few times. Toss it on a carpeted floor, smack it around. This will loosen the threaded element.

2. Turn the element in the middle of the camera counterclockwise. It may need some force to gain traction on the slim ring.

3. Once it starts turning, it should only take a few turns to come out - the threading is only ~5mm wide usually.

Optional: 4. Once it comes out, it should have a little metal threaded ring on the element threads. Adjust this and replace the element to mess with magnification and focusing distance.

Have fun with your new extension tube!
06-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks! I'll try it your way first and try the other if needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by sushi warrior Quote
Don't break the glass! That will leave all sorts of fragments that will eventually end up in your camera.

This is only applicable to a single element TC AFAIK.

1. Drop it a few times. Toss it on a carpeted floor, smack it around. This will loosen the threaded element.

2. Turn the element in the middle of the camera counterclockwise. It may need some force to gain traction on the slim ring.

3. Once it starts turning, it should only take a few turns to come out - the threading is only ~5mm wide usually.

Optional: 4. Once it comes out, it should have a little metal threaded ring on the element threads. Adjust this and replace the element to mess with magnification and focusing distance.

Have fun with your new extension tube!

06-30-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is my thread on the topic for DIY with pictures.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57964-pictures...rt-tc-ext.html
06-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Forum Member

When you do it like that with pliers, which put the pressure on the flimsy metal ring, you will probably ruin the threads. I would try using your hands and just turning on the inner circle.

This is assuming you may in the future want to use the element. If you really think it is garbage, by all means use his method. It should be much easier than mine.

That is actually pretty much an identical TC to what I used too BTW.
06-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
Oh thanks for the pictures. I will not try to reuse the glass so I won't need to be careful. It's a very old one.

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sushi warrior Quote
When you do it like that with pliers, which put the pressure on the flimsy metal ring, you will probably ruin the threads. I would try using your hands and just turning on the inner circle.
Pliers don't get anywhere near my lenses.....

This is what I use as spanner in lens repair:

06-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barcon Quote
Oh thanks for the pictures. I will not try to reuse the glass so I won't need to be careful. It's a very old one.
Yeah! the pictures are just to show what to grab, what comes loose etc., use the gentlest method/tool possible to get it out. I took a sledge hammer to the frist one