Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 22
making extension tube from TC

I've often heard about making an extension tube by removing the glass from an old teleconverter. I have one, the IQ is too poor to use for anything else. However, how to I remove the glass? Break it or unscrew it? It looks like the attachment mechanism is part of the mount for the glass. I'd like a little guidance before I start undoing the little screws. Thanks for any help.

06-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Niagara
Posts: 30
i just broke the glass out of mine... screw driver and a hammer
06-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 53
Don't break the glass! That will leave all sorts of fragments that will eventually end up in your camera.

This is only applicable to a single element TC AFAIK.

1. Drop it a few times. Toss it on a carpeted floor, smack it around. This will loosen the threaded element.

2. Turn the element in the middle of the camera counterclockwise. It may need some force to gain traction on the slim ring.

3. Once it starts turning, it should only take a few turns to come out - the threading is only ~5mm wide usually.

Optional: 4. Once it comes out, it should have a little metal threaded ring on the element threads. Adjust this and replace the element to mess with magnification and focusing distance.

Have fun with your new extension tube!
06-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 22
Original Poster
Thanks! I'll try it your way first and try the other if needed.


QuoteOriginally posted by sushi warrior Quote
Don't break the glass! That will leave all sorts of fragments that will eventually end up in your camera.

This is only applicable to a single element TC AFAIK.

1. Drop it a few times. Toss it on a carpeted floor, smack it around. This will loosen the threaded element.

2. Turn the element in the middle of the camera counterclockwise. It may need some force to gain traction on the slim ring.

3. Once it starts turning, it should only take a few turns to come out - the threading is only ~5mm wide usually.

Optional: 4. Once it comes out, it should have a little metal threaded ring on the element threads. Adjust this and replace the element to mess with magnification and focusing distance.

Have fun with your new extension tube!


06-30-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,978
Here is my thread on the topic for DIY with pictures.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57964-pictures...rt-tc-ext.html
06-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 53
When you do it like that with pliers, which put the pressure on the flimsy metal ring, you will probably ruin the threads. I would try using your hands and just turning on the inner circle.

This is assuming you may in the future want to use the element. If you really think it is garbage, by all means use his method. It should be much easier than mine.

That is actually pretty much an identical TC to what I used too BTW.
06-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 22
Original Poster
Oh thanks for the pictures. I will not try to reuse the glass so I won't need to be careful. It's a very old one.

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,206
QuoteOriginally posted by sushi warrior Quote
When you do it like that with pliers, which put the pressure on the flimsy metal ring, you will probably ruin the threads. I would try using your hands and just turning on the inner circle.
Pliers don't get anywhere near my lenses.....

This is what I use as spanner in lens repair:



06-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,978
QuoteOriginally posted by Barcon Quote
Oh thanks for the pictures. I will not try to reuse the glass so I won't need to be careful. It's a very old one.
Yeah! the pictures are just to show what to grab, what comes loose etc., use the gentlest method/tool possible to get it out. I took a sledge hammer to the frist one
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
extension, extension tube, glass, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, tube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reverse Extension Tube sajah Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 04-01-2009 06:42 AM
auto extension tube hll Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 14 12-20-2008 10:05 AM
Few more with extension tube Stratman Post Your Photos! 0 06-06-2007 04:13 PM
First try with extension tube Stratman Post Your Photos! 7 06-04-2007 08:15 PM
extension tube vs teleconverter WMBP Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 04-10-2007 07:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top