Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

upgrade path: new lens or new body?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi

not sure whether this belongs here or in the DSLR discussion but since my quandary was started by the failure of a Tamron 70-300 lens I've put it here.

I have a *IstDl2 with two cheapish lens (the one it came with and the tamron) this kit has all served me well but eventually I want to migrate to something better. Unfortunately I don't have the money to do it all in one go. So should I ditch the tamron and buy a better replacement lens (and which one) which I'll have to use on the Ist DL2 body for a couple of years . Or should I repair the lens (relatively cheap option compared to a new lens) and go for a better body but with the old lens?

I tend to do most of my photography on holiday (landscapes and nature as well as family portraits) and my kit is feeling the strain. There are large particles in the view finder that I can't get rid of and dust on the sensor is a perenial problem. Once I had to replace the sensor when salt got on it. So part of me feels that maybe the 18-250 zoom would be a good investment because it'll protect my body from dust and when I buy a new body it will protect that as well. But in terms of lens quality that leaves me pretty much where I am now albeit with a lighter kit bag. So part of me feels I should go for a lens that can produce better pictures; faster, sharper, less aberration etc. Very occasionally I manage to get a shot accepted by iStock and it gives me a buzz knowing my pics are out there for sale (even though I've only made a few dollars over the pass two years). But if I go for a better lens won't its advantage be negated by the old body I am using, so should I go for a new body now and get the lens later?

Tom

06-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What is your budget?
06-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
say about £400 -£600 pounds ($600-$900) this year
06-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not both? I'd consider going with the K-x and a used 16-45. You'll gain SR, a few megapixels and MUCH better high ISO performance. The 16-45 is a marked improvement on the kit lens. And the high ISO performance and SR will be like having much faster lenses compared to your Dl2.

06-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tom_charnock Quote
That brings you into K-x territory. The two-lens kit with 18-55 DA L and DA 55-300 would upgrade your camera and both your lenses. Sounds like a winning move to me.
06-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

From what you posted I think you need the weather sealed K7 (USD 800 BHPhoto).

The WR kit will do for this year and/or you can get a cheap tele Tamron 70-300 for like 50-100 USD on ebay.

The Kx is very nice but K7 is a much better body!
06-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Why not both? I'd consider going with the K-x and a used 16-45. You'll gain SR, a few megapixels and MUCH better high ISO performance. The 16-45 is a marked improvement on the kit lens. And the high ISO performance and SR will be like having much faster lenses compared to your Dl2.
This makes the most sense because if two links are weak, replacing one will not make the chain stronger.

06-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

with that budget in UK, on your place? I'd go/call srs and do this:
ditch the Tamron, keep DA18-55, keep the DL for higher ISO, get DA55-300 and used K10 with the lowest shutter actuation they would have in shop.
Like that you'd have to lenses, two bodies. K10 can still deliver some incredible shots with it's 10mpx CCD and DL with it's 6mpx lovely sensor has nice higher ISO I belive (800-1600/3200 if it can do 3200).
You'd end up with better kit than you have now... on the other side, if you don't want 2 bodies, sell/part exchange the DL and you'll save some money...

good luck
06-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tom_charnock Quote
At the extreme end of that range you can grab a replacement kit that will be technically better.

Pentax K-x with 18-55 and 55-300

Getting the K-7 might be a better option if you are able to sell stock photos, though it seems beyond your budget. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the K-x unless you really need weather resistance or a feature that is only on the K-7. If you can wait until September, there should be two new models announced. It is possible that the K-7 price will be much lower at the end of the year if you can wait.

[edit]
You can save quite a bit on the K-x by going with only a single kit lens initially and sticking with your Tamron a bit longer.
07-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who has replied; this has given me a lot to think about. I must admit I hadn't seen the K-x kit with both the 18-55 and 50-300 and it is tempting and the most simple solution.
On the other hand I wonder whether I should go for the K7 body and improve the lenses next year i.e. have my jam tomorrow.
No one has suggested that I keep the ist body for now and upgrade the lens this year and get a new body next year (when I might have a similar budget) so I guess people don't think that that is sensible approach? (and I tend to agree).

Again thanks for the advice and options, I'll probably um and ah all summer.

cheers Tom
07-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could do a lot with a budget of £600 lens-wise. If you don't feel limited by the *ist DL2 Pentax makes some great lenses that fall in your budget, all the way from the DA15mm ltd to the DA70mm ltd, and plenty in between. However, £600 allows you to get a body that is plenty better, and leaves room for a small improvement in lenses too. However, if you want a good body with proper good lenses, one of the two is going to have to wait.
07-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Could always get a K-x body and then a non-kit lens, if you desire. Depending on the lens, it might even fit in your budget