Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Inactive Account

get lenses as you need them, you'll appreciate them more if you know what you'd do with them before you even own it

you might think you'll shoot macro, portrait, landscape, birds, and everything- and to start off with you probably will- but then you'll find what you specifically love shooting and you'll buy lenses just for that (or you'll decide that you just like to shoot everything and you'll end up with 10 lenses anyway)

I remember when I was in your position and I was thinking to myself I need a 135 and a 200mm prime- when I actually mounted the 2 lenses the difference in zoom was so negligible that a 10% crop would cover the difference

if I had to start again (and had the money) i'd get:

wideangle
da 15mm ltd/pentax 12-24

I wouldn't spend the money on a f2.8 mid range zoom, primes are noticeable sharper in this area, and are faster

Normal/semi wideangle
50mm pentax m 1.7
da 31mm macro/28mm pentax m 2.8
(I have a sigma 28mm f1.8 macro and having the close focus is great for making interesting shots)

you don't need a portrait lens, but a sigma 70mm macro will do portrait and macro so would be a good shout, the samyang 85mm 1.4 is also excellent and cheap

and 50mm works fine as a portrait lens, you'll have to get a little closer to your subject, but that's not really a big issue

you'll probably never shoot telephoto in low light, so f2.8 is not really needed f4 is more than enough, and at wide angle camera shake is less of a problem, so you don't need such fast lenses
and AF is overrated, I can focus quicker and easier using MF on vintage primes

telephoto

difficult decision between 50-135 and 60-250
50-135 has a smaller apperture, and is alot smaller overall
i've had good results from the canon 70-200 f4, but the f2.8 was too heavy, so i'd guess the sigma 70-200 and the pentax 60-250 would be a similar story
but i'd actually probably get a pentax m 75-150 f4

if you've got megapixels to spare you can crop the hell out of your photos and still get web resolutions (are you going to be printing your images A3+?)

so to sum up:

kit lens on the camera
15mm ltd in left pocket
50mm 1.7 in the right

don't get a telephoto until you begin to understand the relationship between yourself and your subject- remember your eyes see at 50mm- what you see in front of you, when something stops you in your tracks and makes you want to take a photo, you're seeing this at 50mm- start out with only a 50mm and you'll soon learn to frame things in your head before you even put the camera to your face, if you know you'll need wider, then stick the 15/28mm on-
IMO zoom's wont develop your ability to pre-visualize the shot
and telephoto just means you're not close enough (puts on flame retardant suit..)

you'll get more of an handle on various lenses and what you need when you actually start shooting, I pretty much shot exclusively with a 28-200mm superzoom and then bought primes based on my favorite focal lengths (I still use the superzoom for convenience, but as soon as I started using primes I developed the 'photographers eye', and although the superzoom is not as sharp as a prime- it still makes interesting photos look interesting, and boring photos look boring

06-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up a Vivitar 100-500 for less than $150. I would highly suggest picking up a less expensive lens in the long range to start out. The reason is because of this simple question:

Do you know what style of shooting you like best? Each type can require different lenses and glass costs $$$$$$$$. After spending quite a bit of money going through lenses, I've decided the following:

I have 12-24 because I love landscape (sold the 10-17 to purchase this)
I have the kit lens because it came with the camera and it will handle my needs in that range ok
I have the 60-250 because it covers a wide range and is a good lens - heavy, but good
I have the 100-500 Vivitar because it's a decent lens and I don't want to spend a couple thousand on a fast prime 500mm lens
Sold the 18-250 Pentax because of no manual focus

This is after LBA kicked my wallet in the butt... I'm not talking about the other purchases that grace my camera cabinet...

If I had to do it over again, I'd have purchased the:
12-24 for landscape
50-135 for walk-around (in conjunction with the kit lens)
A good 2x teleconverter for the 50-135
250-600 Pentax ($$$$, but really good from what I've read)

More glass doesn't necessarily mean better pictures. The list above will cover all the needs for almost everything, but you are talking about $8000-$9000 mostly due to the 250-600 lens

I'd suggest
Walk-about: kit lens (not bad, but not superb either), 16-50, 50-135
Landscape: 12-24 - probably as good as most primes
Sports, action, birding, etc: 300 minimum, but try to get something in a 2.8 speed so you can slap a teleconverter on it. F4 is not bad, but a 2x teleconverter makes that lens pretty slow.
Primes: they're very good and worth looking into, but it is a tradeoff on weight/space that you have to decide upon...
07-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
Hi guys.
Well here i am lensless i should say,haha... I am starting of from scratch. I am going to try to list all that i am going to get, and if you guys think there is something better let me know. Thanks.

Wide angle: Pentax 12-24mm

Walk around zoom: Pentax 50-135mm
Add the 35mm macro to these two lenses and you'd have a high quality, very usable set of lenses.