Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just checked the place from where I bought my original converter for ~25eur (~30usd) about two years ago. Now the price is 82eur (~100usd). For such a small item the international postage is not likely to be very high so the price seems OK from where I'm standing. Luckily I have two of these so I'm not looking for one.

btw there's a saying around here that goes something like this: "He's not crazy to ask that price but anyone paying it IS"

07-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LadyRo Quote
I know there are products here that aren't available elsewhere, or cost much more elsewhere. I also know that it costs more to ship items overseas. However, the seller in question only has ONE used adapter to sell, and he's in Chicago. I don't think he's a bulk dealer, I think he just doesn't know how much the adapters really cost. I suspect that he bought his adapter off eBay from one of the Chinese vendors, out of Hong Kong, I've seen that sell them for something like $40. If that's the case, then I can see him thinking $30 is a reasonable asking price for a used adapter.

Clipped
We here in the USA have the advantage of being able to buy the genuine article from the maker. Educated buyers (something I recommend that everyone do with ebay is know what it is Actually worth) know this and therefore, how much a Used adapter might be worth. Semi-educated buyers (those who read on a forum somewhere that Pentax no longer makes these), will gladly pay $30 for one and sometimes more. The uneducated who just has to have one will pay any price to get it.

If we are questioning whether or not the adapter is Genuine Pentax, and instead is a knockoff from China, that's a different story all together. THEN, I too, have a problem with it.

Whether he has One listed or One Hundred, is irrelevant. He may just be listing them one at a time. Or, he may just have the one and when someone offers what he Really will take, that'll be the end of it. I bought my Pentax A 50mm f1:1.2 from a seller who had at least 50 of them to sell. His asking price was $500 and he was taking offers. Mine landed at my door for a total of $250.

Just like everything on ebay, the seller lists at what he would like to get (in the case of a buy it now) and takes his chances that someone will actually pay it. From that, since he Has to accept Paypal, he gets to pay a listing fee, a commission, and a paypal fee. Then he gets to buy a padded envelope, and schlep himself to the post office.

Believe me, I understand exactly what your issue is here. If you look back a couple months, I started a thread about exactly the same thing. Only that seller was asking $75 for a new one. The feedback I got from some was that even at that price there are people willing to pay it because it is an item, not regularly available to them.

07-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

For someone in the US, buying this might be silly as you mentioned but there are plenty of posts in the forum from members from Aus. that report that adapters cost 3 times the US price and this seller ships worldwide. Also, from time to time, the genuine Pentax adapters are out of stock and backordered and delivery may mean a wait so the impatient can spend more and get a used one on Ebay.
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by stevebrot
It is not unusual to see merchandise on eBay at the U.S. retail price. As mentioned above, Pentax USA will not ship outside the country. That $30 adapter costs twice to three times that amount in Europe. In some ways these sellers are providing a very useful service to less fortunate users in other parts of the world.

Steve
Other countries, as well as US states and/or territories that are not a part of the lower 47 states and DC are not relevant to my post. My original post clearly shows that I was talking about sellers who are located on the US mainland.
Those who take time to actually read other's comments look more intelligent when making replies. Your OP makes no reference to the countries of the buyers and I stand by my original comment. This type of seller is targeting non-U.S. buyers and taking advantage of the price differential.

As for pricing and "Best Offer"...The refusal of the seller to entertain your best offer is their prerogative. The general rule of thumb is that the market determines the price. If it sells for $30, then I guess that means that used Pentax M42 adapters are worth $30 on eBay. If the seller re-lists at a lower price, then I guess that means that those adapters are worth less than $30 on eBay. If the seller accepts an offer of $25, it means that someone else feels that the adapter is worth $2 more than you feel it is worth.

Translation...if someone does not meet your offer, shop elsewhere.

Steve

(BTW...I agree that the price is a little high, but I know that I would not sell either of mine for less than $20 + actual cost to ship.)

07-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Other countries, as well as US states and/or territories that are not a part of the lower 47 states and DC are not relevant to my post. My original post clearly shows that I was talking about sellers who are located on the US mainland.
BTW...The last time I counted, there are 48 lower states in the U.S...

Steve

(Whatever do they teach in these schools now days...????)
07-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, they are available off and on. They sometimes sell out and have to wait on a new shipment.
What he said...
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #22
Nubi

I think that, for the well-being of the OP's mental health and perhaps blood pressure, the OP ought to stay away from ebay.

I think the solution is quite simple . . . . .

That is what I do to fight my LBA, and actually doing pretty well with it.

I do think that anything is worth as much as what anybody would pay for. Maybe some people buy them like that. I bought a few in Japan, and they were cheap, due to favorable exchange rate at the moment. It was close to 20 bucks US.

07-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
For someone in the US, buying this might be silly as you mentioned but there are plenty of posts in the forum from members from Aus. that report that adapters cost 3 times the US price and this seller ships worldwide. Also, from time to time, the genuine Pentax adapters are out of stock and backordered and delivery may mean a wait so the impatient can spend more and get a used one on Ebay.
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
We here in the USA have the advantage of being able to buy the genuine article from the maker.
Excellent points, guys. I think I'm just spoiled. I never have to take any of of the points you made into consideration when I buy something. Thanks for the perspective... $31 for a new adapter direct from Pentax doesn't seem expensive anymore, considering what people outside the USA have to pay.
07-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Excellent points, guys. I think I'm just spoiled. I never have to take any of of the points you made into consideration when I buy something. Thanks for the perspective... $31 for a new adapter direct from Pentax doesn't seem expensive anymore, considering what people outside the USA have to pay.
Sorry for the sort of nasty tone of my comments above, but the pricing issue of U.S. vs. Europe, Australia, and elsewhere is an ongoing topic of discussion on this forum. There are some of us who have actually considered bulk purchase of the M42 adapters to ship to someone in Europe to redistribute to forum members there. The truly unfortunate thing is that the price difference extends to lenses and bodies as well.

Steve
07-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those who take time to actually read other's comments look more intelligent when making replies. Your OP makes no reference to the countries of the buyers and I stand by my original comment. This type of seller is targeting non-U.S. buyers and taking advantage of the price differential.

As for pricing and "Best Offer"...The refusal of the seller to entertain your best offer is their prerogative. The general rule of thumb is that the market determines the price. If it sells for $30, then I guess that means that used Pentax M42 adapters are worth $30 on eBay. If the seller re-lists at a lower price, then I guess that means that those adapters are worth less than $30 on eBay. If the seller accepts an offer of $25, it means that someone else feels that the adapter is worth $2 more than you feel it is worth.

Translation...if someone does not meet your offer, shop elsewhere.

Steve

(BTW...I agree that the price is a little high, but I know that I would not sell either of mine for less than $20 + actual cost to ship.)
I have a different point of view, so suddenly I can't read and I'm "less intelligent" than everyone else here? Why are you getting personal? I didn't say anything rude to anyone in this thread. I just matter-of-factly restated my position.

This is the second time a white man has gotten nasty with me just because I stated my opinion! I was NEVER confrontational and I NEVER got rude or nasty with anyone. Sorry I didn't stay "in my place" and dared to talk back to a white man!

I'm out of here, you can have your precious forums all to yourself.

P.S. To anyone reading this after the fact, and don't understand why I wrote about "staying in my place", I used to have a pic of myself (I'm black) as my avatar. Mods or admins, please erase any and all traces of LadyRo from PentaxForums. Thank you.

Last edited by LadyRo; 07-01-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: clarification
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What happened???
07-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a different point of view, so suddenly I can't read and I'm "less intelligent" than everyone else here? Why are you getting personal? I didn't say anything rude to anyone in this thread. I just matter-of-factly restated my position.

This is the second time a white man has gotten nasty with me just because I stated my opinion! I was NEVER confrontational and I NEVER got rude or nasty with anyone. Sorry I didn't stay "in my place" and dared to talk back to a white man!

I'm out of here, you can have your precious forums all to yourself.

P.S. To anyone reading this after the fact, and don't understand why I wrote about "staying in my place", I used to have a pic of myself (I'm black) as my avatar. Mods or admins, please erase any and all traces of LadyRo from PentaxForums. Thank you.
How do you know that I am white or that I am aware of your race? You might not even be female (people use all sorts of pictures for their avatars).

You posted a terse and inaccurate reply to an honest comment. Sorry, but I think that you threw down the gauntlet here. As for your intelligence or schooling...what can I say? According to your comments you have a college degree and were accepted to law school. I have a diploma and an advanced degree. I still make mistakes and have had to post many corrections when I get things wrong, was misinformed, or even stupid. (Yes, I did say stupid. It happens to all of us.)

What I would suggest is that it is pretty low to play the race and gender "cards". What is next? References to Hitler and Nazis? You posted a comment based on a lack of knowledge and the good people of this forum gave you additional information and their opinions. While your reaction is your own property and your own responsibility, I am truly sorry that my comment stirred up such a strong response.

Sorry to see that you are bidding a hasty farewell. This is one of the best and safest forums on the Web. It is pretty consistently gender and race neutral and one of the best places for accurate information about Pentax cameras and photography in general.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-01-2010 at 12:41 PM.
07-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
What happened???
Apparently the race/gender card got played in a blindfold card game.
07-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Apparently the race/gender card got played in a blindfold card game.
Sorry Blue...I guess I should have sprinkled my posts with a few smilies or something. To be honest, my impression of the OP from the avatar picture was that of an enthusiastic young woman about the same age as my daughter.

Steve
07-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #30

Original Poster
Steve, you are correct in everything that you said in your last reply to me. I stand corrected. But, it still doesn't change the fact that you made unprovoked personal insults towards me. I'm not getting over that, period.

Yes, these forums are a great source of information, and that is all I will use them for, as a lurker, from now on. I wish there was a way I could delete my membership, but since there is not, this is the last time I will login to respond to anything or anyone. Don't bother to reply, because all my notifications have been disabled and I will not be back to check this thread.

Again, for anyone who missed it the first time... Steve, you are absolutely correct in what you said in your last reply to me. I stand corrected.

THE END.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How do you know that I am white or that I am aware of your race? You might not even be female (people use all sorts of pictures for their avatars).

You posted a terse and inaccurate reply to an honest comment. Sorry, but I think that you threw down the gauntlet here. As for your intelligence or schooling...what can I say? According to your comments you have a college degree and were accepted to law school. I have a diploma and an advanced degree. I still make mistakes and have had to post many corrections when I get things wrong, was misinformed, or even stupid. (Yes, I did say stupid. It happens to all of us.)

What I would suggest is that it is pretty low to play the race and gender "cards". What is next? References to Hitler and Nazis? You posted a comment based on a lack of knowledge and the good people of this forum gave you additional information and their opinions. While your reaction is your own property and your own responsibility, I am truly sorry that my comment stirred up such a strong response.

Sorry to see that you are bidding a hasty farewell. This is one of the best and safest forums on the Web. It is pretty consistently gender and race neutral and one of the best places for accurate information about Pentax cameras and photography in general.

Steve