Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LadyRo Quote
Steve, you are correct in everything that you said in your last reply to me. I stand corrected. But, it still doesn't change the fact that you made unprovoked personal insults towards me. I'm not getting over that, period.

Yes, these forums are a great source of information, and that is all I will use them for, as a lurker, from now on. I wish there was a way I could delete my membership, but since there is not, this is the last time I will login to respond to anything or anyone. Don't bother to reply, because all my notifications have been disabled and I will not be back to check this thread.

Again, for anyone who missed it the first time... Steve, you are absolutely correct in what you said in your last reply to me. I stand corrected.

THE END.
Ro...

Thank you for your reply and while you might not get notification, I do want to explicitly apologize for the insult. The comment regarding intelligence was uncalled for and mean-spirited and not representative of my general contributions on PF. I am truly sorry.

Steve

07-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regardless of the M42 adapter example there still definitely are some very coniving, greedy and just simply put, people that should be banned from selling on eBay. There is someone/business trying to sell a DA 10-17 for > $1,200. I sent them a question asking why the lens was so expensive and they responded, "That is the manufacterers reatil price". When I sent them the PentaxImaging website that lists the lens for $650, I got no response. That is just rediculous.
07-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LadyRo Quote
My irritation doesn't rise to the level of being worked up. I guess I'm just kind of incredulous about people trying to do business without having a clue. Maybe I shouldn't be, though. Dumb people just make smart people like me look even smarter!
Hmm, selling things at high prices to people who don't know about alternatives...it may be greedy or other negative things, but "dumb"? I don't think so.

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-01-2010 at 08:07 PM.
07-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Regardless of the M42 adapter example there still definitely are some very coniving, greedy and just simply put, people that should be banned from selling on eBay. There is someone/business trying to sell a DA 10-17 for > $1,200. I sent them a question asking why the lens was so expensive and they responded, "That is the manufacterers reatil price". When I sent them the PentaxImaging website that lists the lens for $650, I got no response. That is just rediculous.
I think anyone can ask whatever price they want, I don't think they he/she gets much business with that price.

But deliberately misleading is another thing. Some sellers are selling old used no-name lenses as "designed by Zeiss" "made by Nikon" etc with ridiculous prices when the lenses in question have nothing to do with the names in the sales speech. Or the old "Mint Condition" description when the lens clearly has scratches/fungus etc. These people should definately be banned.

07-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
I think anyone can ask whatever price they want, I don't think they he/she gets much business with that price.

But deliberately misleading is another thing. Some sellers are selling old used no-name lenses as "designed by Zeiss" "made by Nikon" etc with ridiculous prices when the lenses in question have nothing to do with the names in the sales speech. Or the old "Mint Condition" description when the lens clearly has scratches/fungus etc. These people should definately be banned.
It is also on the buyer to know what he/she is buying. Not holding it in hand can make that difficult at times so if there is a shadow of a doubt, they are better off walking away from it. You may find that the listings with those dodgy description listings end without bids. Not always, but most of the time. Anything that says "Mint Condition", I'll typically move on to the next one because the seller obviously does not want to be objective in his/her assessment.

07-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #36

As a person with a K10D and no lenses to speak of, I can tell you that there's little point in trying to by Pentax *anything* on eBay. I've been trying to figure out what to put on this camera for weeks, and all I've got is a headache.

It seems like every prime lens listed is either "new and limited" or "old and rare". If you can't afford the new stuff, you can't afford the old stuff, either. It's insanely frustrating.

I really, really like this K10D body, but trying to figure out this convoluted lens lineup and avoid the "Pentax Tax" is putting me off the camera a lot.
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sataraid1 Quote
As a person with a K10D and no lenses to speak of, I can tell you that there's little point in trying to by Pentax *anything* on eBay. I've been trying to figure out what to put on this camera for weeks, and all I've got is a headache.

It seems like every prime lens listed is either "new and limited" or "old and rare". If you can't afford the new stuff, you can't afford the old stuff, either. It's insanely frustrating.

I really, really like this K10D body, but trying to figure out this convoluted lens lineup and avoid the "Pentax Tax" is putting me off the camera a lot.
As much as I would like to argue the point with you, you're right. Your best bet is to define what it is you want to do and then choose a lens to fit that purpose. For a general walk around type lens for instance, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 would be a nice fit on the K10d. The older Sigma 17-70 is a nice fit on the K10d as well, and gives you closeup to boot. In fact, you can outfit your K10d almost entirely with Tamron and be quite happy with the results, for about 1/3 - 1/2 the cost when considering, the Pentax Tax (I'll bet the Canon and Nikon taxes are higher). First though, decide what it is you want to do.

Try the Marketplace here, try KEH.COM, B&H sells used equipment as does Adorama. Ebay isn't the only place to find stuff..

07-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
...Ebay isn't the only place to find stuff...

There is also the option of local dealers. I know that our situation here in the Portland/Vancouver area is rather unique for a city of our size, but there are several places within 1/2 hour drive that deal in used photo gear and who generally have a selection of lenses that will fit Pentax.

Steve
07-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is also the option of local dealers. I know that our situation here in the Portland/Vancouver area is rather unique for a city of our size, but there are several places within 1/2 hour drive that deal in used photo gear and who generally have a selection of lenses that will fit Pentax.

Steve
There's also Craigslist but I was speaking more to online purchasing. There use to be places here too that carried used equipment and they even had Pentax goodies. Gone now. If you're into the thrill of the hunt, there are also pawn shops, though they tend to be way overpriced too.

I think the *Pentax Tax* is more about collector and investment mentality than anything else. It's a mentality that generally sucks the fun out of just about everything. Lenses that I could routinely find 3 years ago for under $50 or so, now command prices 5 to 10 times that. They aren't any better than they were then and they are no more rare than they were then. I know it's a matter of what someone will pay but it has still sucked the fun out of it.

07-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sataraid1 Quote
...I really, really like this K10D body, but trying to figure out this convoluted lens lineup and avoid the "Pentax Tax" is putting me off the camera a lot.
Prices have been creeping up, but I can make a few suggestions of high value manual focus used lenses that are moderately priced:

Helios 44-2, 44M, 44M-x 58/2
Generally available for under $30. (I paid $10 for my 44M.) There are many variants, but all have similar optics. Don't be suckered by eBay claims of "rare" or "unique". KMZ made literally millions of these as the kit lens for Zenit SLRs. Most are M42 screw mount with the exception of the 44K-4 in K-mount.

House Brand 28mm and 135mm
Lenses branded Sears, Penny, Focal, etc. are often not bad and can be found for $25 or less.

Vivitar
Great performance and build at bargain prices and made by the best names in the business. Note that this recommendation applies to the metal-body manual focus lenses made through the late 1980s. Here is a Web resource that lists the manufacturers and serial number codes (Vivitar Lens Manufactuers). Models from Komine, Kiron, and Tokina are considered more desirable.

Pentax Super/SMC Takumar
With very few exceptions, these M42 screw-mount lenses are worth owning. Prices are a little higher than Vivitar, but less than Carl Zeiss Jena. Avoid K-mount lenses labeled "Takumar Bayonet" unless they are bargain priced. They are not true Takumars.

Pentax-M
Great build and compact package. The M lenses are the value queens of the Pentax-branded lenses. Prices are about the same as the M42 Takumars. If you want a fast 50, the M 50/1.7 is hard to beat at its price point.

Tamron Adaptall
Well-built with capable optics. There are two versions of the required adapter with the basic K-mount being the more reasonably priced.

Be aware too, that the best deals on lenses are often found by purchasing cameras. It is not unusual to find a body bundled with a couple of other lenses.

As for the lens line-up being convoluted...I guess it might look that way. It helps if you are familiar with the evolution of the camera bodies. Here is a good resource:
Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page: Pentax Technology
The nice thing is that all will fit your camera with varying degrees of functionality. The lenses sort into three basic categories:
  • M42 screw mount: Requires an adapter and manually stopping the lens down before exposure
  • "Non-A" K-mount: Bayonet mount lenses without the "A" position on the aperture ring (Pentax-K and Pentax-M). Requires stop-down metering in M-mode.
  • "A-contact" K-mount: Bayonet mount lenses with the "A" electrical contacts on the mount face (Pentax-A, F, FA, FAJ, DA, DFA). Fully compatible with all exposure modes on your K10D.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-02-2010 at 10:46 AM.
07-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...Lenses that I could routinely find 3 years ago for under $50 or so, now command prices 5 to 10 times that. They aren't any better than they were then and they are no more rare than they were then. I know it's a matter of what someone will pay but it has still sucked the fun out of it.

...Such as Carl Zeiss Jena?

It is really unfortunate to see the same thing happening with the Russian stuff too.

Steve
07-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #42

As much as I would like to argue the point with you, you're right. Your best bet is to define what it is you want to do and then choose a lens to fit that purpose.
Actually, I've been desperately wanting to discuss exactly that, and how it relates to Pentax lenses, for some time now.

But I'm going to quote your message into another thread. Look for it in a few minutes.
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...Such as Carl Zeiss Jena?

It is really unfortunate to see the same thing happening with the Russian stuff too.

Steve
Such as, Yes. I would like to try some CZJ lenses due to my Rolleiflex (TLR) background. Since I have the focal ranges covered however, a once in awhile use lens isn't worth the money to me. If something happens along at a price I'm willing to pay however, I'm there.

I can't make heads or tails out of the Russian lenses. Too many different designations for the 50mm lenses. I once had a Helios-40 (39mm thread) but sold it Cheap because I didn't care too much for it. Wish I had it now, just for the money it would bring. Now I can't touch one for twice what I got for it. That's probably the main reason I clutch on to my Vivitar S1 105, a lens that gets used once or twice per year.