Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Super Takumar 200mm f4 repair question

I just got a ultra mint super tak 200 f4, it is an old one as the M and A are letters not words, The lever has no numbers, Ser # 1812724.

I first picked up the lens and inspected it an all seemed perfect, There is No dust, fungus, and the focus and blades are smooth ans snappy. I did however feel the M/A switch and it felt a little loose. I didn't thing much of it because I it still functioned. I slid the switch to reveal the M and started shooting, What an awesome lens. Very happy.

Then when I was adjusting aperture, the ring kind of felt locked. I looked down and could no figure it out. I could not adjust aperture, it seemed locked. Upon further inspection I saw that the switch A/M switch was laying in place, the 2 tiny screws had backed out, I can hear them inside rattle around. They have backed out. Very strange. I can see they didn't break off, I can see where they mount.

The question is how to take this baby apart without changing any of the focus settings, retrieve the screws and reinstall the Switch, (with lock tight) When I say this lens is ultra mint I mean it, it looks brand new in and out.

Is there a guide that deals step by step on disassembly and re assembly of an early Suer tak 200f4. I hate to damage this beauty.

Also is there anyone here that fixes these lenses, I may just send it out for repair, due to it's mint condition. I hate for this to be my first lens repair attempt and botch it.

I hope to hear from those who have actually done this repair

Hope to hear some good news , Thanks

07-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
not a single person has repaired this lens switch? WOW I would of thought one reply would of been posted, Still trying to find some good avice before I tear into this Perfect example of a lens
07-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's fairly easy to take apart. You should be able to do it without any instruction manual. Just document each step you've taken. If you feel uncomfortable doing it, contact Eric or Ralph Innes and they'll do the repair for you at a reasonable price.
07-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a starter for you for Takumar in general.
Favorite Classics / Pentax Super Takumar f/3.5 135mm
Main difference is that the 200 splits at the join in the middle of the lens which will give you front access to the blades.
Here is another Takumar lens by way of comparison:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/pentax50mmf1.4.html
This aperture switch fixing site is in Chinese but will give you some pointers. The issue here (apparently) was more one of lack of tention in the sprongs in the mechanism and as that requires a new part it was an unsuccessful attempt. - Google translate does an interesting job - not standard English however.
Pentax M42 135mm f2.5 *ײz
Good luck

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 07-05-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: clarification
07-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
for the life of me I cannot figure out how the little screws came out, I can understand if they were sheared off but they have backed out and the screws are not rattling aruung inside of the focus twist channels. I am afraid to turn the elns to infifnty as the scres may damage somting. Lastly If one of them are missing, How the heck will I ever find anoter to replace it. They are itty bitty, Any suggestions for a website that sells hardware that small and tools (screwdrivers) that small, WOW they look pic in the pics however they are tiny
07-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might be able to find the smallest screwdrivers in electronics (for soldering, and BIY things or the like) shop or if you're really lucky not that small screwdrivers in a dollar shop. As for the screws in general, if you have a duplicate you might be able to get some at the same electronics store or in a mechanics. But if you need the screw, sadly I think another lens might be cheaper.